Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• Chewonastick
    Chewonastick
    Community Member

Same issue on Ipad Pro with iPad OS 15.7. iPhone with iOS 16 works without any issues.

• Boichat
    Boichat
    Community Member

Hi, the iPhone restore from backup did 'fix' my problem with FaceID not working on my iPhone 12 mini. However, it was quite a headache, and hilariously Face ID initially didn't work with a different app after I did this! (though all is finally working now).

You have to open every app, after the reinstall, to make sure all the permissions are granted for that app, to make sure all your widgets etc are working properly. It was quite a faff!

I hope for everyone else's sake you get a proper fix soon - I actually tried out all the competition and nearly switched to Dashlane...

• Hi @apl:

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues unlocking 1Password with Face ID on your device. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device to take a closer look at what's happening here:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• apl
    apl
    Community Member

[#YIG-63637-993]

• vpaulino
    vpaulino
    Community Member

Strange issue indeed. I'm commenting now and will add my notes later tonight in terms of experience with this issue.

• nemnel
    nemnel
    Community Member

It’s broken for me too. I had to reset settings. I’ve tried quite a few things to fix it, I’m not sure what else I can do

• seattlepass
    seattlepass
    Community Member

I'm also having this problem on an iPhone 14 Pro. I also reset my settings for reasons not related to 1Password. Every time I try to log into an app it requires me to enter my 1Password password. I have confirmed that FaceID works correctly elsewhere on the phone, and that the settings to use FaceID are toggled on in Settings and in 1Password's settings. I deleted the app and re-downloaded it from the App Store thinking that might help remove something nasty from 1Password's container, but that hasn't made any difference. I mentioned all this and probably more in a Support email but I'm repeating it here since I haven't received any acknowledgment for the email, and I want to make sure this data point is included in the investigation.

• hjogi
    hjogi
    Community Member

I have exactly the same issue of Settlepass.
    I have an iPhone 14 Pro after resetting the settings 1Password has stopped to work with faceid.
    My faceid works fine on all the other apps.
    I have updated the IOS to the last one available, uninstalled 1Password, restarted the mobile but nothing is changed.
    Each time I need to use my master password

• vpaulino
    vpaulino
    Community Member

Back with my update. So my question is could this be linked to the secret not getting released and destroyed or a new hash getting generated after a reset?

Reason for asking is because after turning off Face ID and Pin, 1password documentation states the secret gets destroyed. Yet after I reinstall the app it magically pulls up a login page without me having to enter my Secret Key.

This behavior is concerning. The app should be asking me to re-enter my full secret again if it is infact a complete cleanup and deletion of the app via way of deleting the app, turning off Face ID and passcode, restarting phone and reinstalling the app.

May not seem related but it kind of is. If appears 1password stops properly communicating with the FaceID subsystem after a reset of settings but fails to re-establish a new ground up connection. Not sure if this is related somehow to a feature for better end user security. Or if this is hard baked into the app. Regardless, for now I guess I’ll go back to 1Password 7 and hope this issue doesn’t exist there. I’ll also be regenerating my secret key and changing password just incase this bug is leaving the data vulnerable.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I’ve been following the posts about this problem and if I’m interpreting this correctly it’s only those who have have reset all settings for some reason that are experiencing Face ID issues. Since that’s rarely necessary that’s not an issue that would deter me from switching to 8 from 1P7. I’ve held off to see what issues might arise but this isn’t one of them.

• zacharye
    zacharye
    Community Member

@pappjo that is correct. 1P8 works great as long as you don’t reset all settings. If you do reset all settings ( @seattlepass @hjogi ), just reinstall 1P7 until they fix this bug. 1P7 is not affected by this bug.

• hjogi
    hjogi
    Community Member

I have reinstalled 1P7 and it works fine

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member

Having the same Face ID issue with 1Password 8 in iOS after a Reset All Settings. I still had 1Password 7 installed because it's the only version of 1Password that allows to change the order of fields within a section by dragging & dropping them. Now I'm going to use 7 as my primary password manager in iOS until this issue with 1Password 8 is fixed. Adding my vote to give this issue a higher priority and resolve it as soon as possible. Thanks.

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

Has the Face ID issues been resolved with todays (12 Oct) release 1PW 8.9.6. ?
    Don’t want to upgrade if it’s not yet been fixed.

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

No it hasn't been fixed in this version. I just updated to new version and still have the problem with intermittent Face ID failure (when it shouldn't fail). Other fixes are good though...like sorting Favorites alphabetically.

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member

Fab. Thanks @shadowplayer. I’m hoping we don’t need to wait so long for another release, but agree the list of fixes looks good.

• westerlywinds
    westerlywinds
    Community Member

I can confirm this happened to me as well.

I have tried forcing closing the app, reinstalling, disabling and renabling faceid in the app and in iOS. So far all sorts of those combinations don’t do anything.

• Hey @nemnel & @westerlywinds:

I'm sorry to hear you're both affected by this same issue of not being able to unlock 1Password with biometrics. Could I have you both email in with a diagnostics report from your iOS devices:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. If you already have contacted us, could you let me know your Support ID? Thanks :)

Hey @vpaulino:

Firstly, I want to assure you that this bug isn't leaving any data vulnerable and your 1Password data remains secure on your device. When you sign in to your 1Password account on any Apple device, we're able to store a copy of your account details in iCloud Keychain connected to your Apple ID. This makes the process of signing in to new Apple devices with the same Apple ID even quicker, rather than having to manually enter your account details each time. This also explains why you saw your account details automatically appear in 1Password after deleting and reinstalling the app.

• Hey @shadowplayer & @CaptainJD:

Glad to hear you're both enjoying the latest features and improvements we've included in the latest release of 1Password 8! Personally, I can't wait to get stuck in with the keyboard shortcuts with 1Password on iPadOS. Whilst we're still investigating the Face ID bug you're talking about, you can run both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 side-by-side on your device so you can still try out all the newest features we've released today.

• brightpavilions
    brightpavilions
    Community Member

Adding the chorus here. 1PW8 was working fine via FaceID and now it prompts me for my password every single time.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

@jac.pd_1p according to one of your staff, you are fixing the faceid issue.. not still investigating. Which one is it?
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/659092/#Comment_659092

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member

After using 1Password forever I'm also looking at switching now. The big update today did not include a fix for this and they aren't updating us on timeframes. On a discord forum I'm on a lot of people are saying they have switched Last Pass. Which other product to people recommend?

• @xyzulu

I'm sorry for the confusion. My colleague Grey said it best in the thread that you linked:

Face ID and Touch ID in 1Password 8 on iOS are currently a very high priority for our development and customer support teams. The development team have found the cause of the problem and the relevant secure parts of iOS that 1Password communicates with. They are working on building a solution for the root cause of the problem and although it may not seem like it from the outside, there has been considerable discussion about this issue within the teams. I assure you, we do know about it, and the impact that it's having on customers. We're hoping to have something concrete to announce in that regard soon.

Thank you for your patience.

-Dave

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

I've been switching clients to Lastpass (I provide security training to business and individuals) now as 1password won't work with Faceid for new users on iPhone. It's a deal breaker.. and months to fix is just too long to wait.

Lastpass has a few features 1password doesn't have.. and vice versa.. but at least face id works.. totally insane things came to this.. but 1password have had PLENTY of time.. there isn't even a beta on iOS that has fixed this issue. Mind blown.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Wait I thought this only occurred to people who reset all settings. I haven’t seen any other posts stating anything different. I communicate with several who got the new iPhone 14s and use 1PW 8 with no issues. I’m still trying to figure out why people are doing that reset. I’ve never had to do that, only reset network settings to deal with a cellular issue ages ago. I’m still using 1PW 7 as it continues to do everything I need but I’m aware of quite a few who migrated and none are reporting this issue.

This discussion has been closed.