To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Totally confused by 1Password 7 vs 8

JW1964
JW1964
Community Member

Hi,

I have used 1Password for many years and have always found it to be somewhat of a clumsy, blunt tool. It has to be one of the most poorly designed and non-user-friendly tools that I have ever used but, unfortunately, in today's world, it is a necessary tool so I have lived with its quirks.

I'm currently running 1Password 7 and I have an individual account. I pay the yearly subscription fee and I try to get on with the online aspects of life, wrestling with 1Password as and when necessary; you know, sometimes having to enter my password for the app multiple times during login to some website, trying to get the hellish 1Password X popup box to choose the correct account name, having to click back into the main 1Password app and manually searching for an then manually copying the username/password into a webpage, etc.

Anyway, lately, the app on my Mac is prompting me to "upgrade to 1Password 8" and I wanted to find out why. i.e. Given I already subscribe, why should I have to pay for a new version? I find the 1Password website as confusing as anything else that has 1Password written on the box, with lots of meaningless technical jargon about needing to migrate Standalone vaults but no clear, layman's explanation as to why an upgrade is needed (do I have a standalone vault? - I have no idea but I would think not, as I sync via iCloud).

I would imagine that 1Password as a company wants to extricate itself from being reliant on Apple, Dropbox, et al for syncing but why should what is fundamentally a technical issue for them to overcome mean that I have to pay to upgrade to a different version of the "service" that I already subscribe to?

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick, but frankly, I am unable to find a clear answer so I'm hoping that someone here can help explain it.

Bottom line: I already pay for an individual subscription and I sync across devices using iCloud, I regard 1Password as a tool that I have to use but I don't want to have to have to understand every technical aspect of that tool when I use it. I do not like having to wrestle with it every time I use it, I want it to work seamlessly, but it doesn't - it is like a spanner that doesn't quite fit any nut and has to be jiggled around. If 1Password 8 is a better spanner then great, but I'd like to know why, if I am already subscribed to the "1Password Spanner service", I am suddenly being expected to pay again for this new spanner.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: No idea
OS Version: macOS 12.6 (Monterey)
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• JW1964
    JW1964
    Community Member

Further to my post above, whilst I have a new Macbook my phone is an iPhone7; if I upgrade on my Macbook to 1Password 8, am I still able to run 1Password 7 on my phone and have sync work?

• Hi there @JW1964

You mentioned that you sync via iCloud, so before upgrading to 1Password 8, I would strongly suggest emailing support+tradein@1password.com to get individual advice on what to do.

Vaults synced via iCloud or Dropbox are considered "standalone" because they don't sync to 1Password.com, so we'll be able to give you instructions on how to migrate your data from iCloud into a 1Password.com account.

If you'd like to learn more about what's new in 1Password 8 for Mac, you can do so in this post by our founder Dave:

1Password for Mac Releases

There's also a similar post for 1Password for iOS by Roo:

1Password for iOS Releases

I'll let our email team take it from here in terms of what exact steps to take, and they'll be able to answer any questions you may have. :)

— Grey

• JW1964
    JW1964
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted support and, after a few leaps and bounds involving the installer hanging and having to delete the primary vault that I had (a leftover from some previous upgrade perhaps), I have successfully upgraded to 1Password8 - at no extra cost. I did give feedback that I found the process more convoluted than should be necessary for the average user; I am not a power user that has somehow built up some extraordinary over-complicated setup that the migration/installer does not know how to handle, so I find it surprising that what must be a common state of affairs is not handled out-of-the-box.

Anyway, it's all running so fingers-crossed; hopefully, the spanner has been improved.

• @JW1964

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running. If you need anything from us, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.