Where is the password generator?

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022

Hi @zulin,

Thanks so much for your message and trying out 1Password!

Within 1Password 8, you can generate passwords when creating a new item or editing an existing item by clicking in the password field to reveal the option to Create a New Password.

We've also included a password generator in 1Password in the browser: Create a custom password.

If these two options aren't for you or you'd also like to see a separate password generator tool within the app itself, please let us know and we'd be happy to add your voice to our existing feature request.

Looking forward to your reply.

• chris42
    chris42
    Community Member

Just discovered that the password generator function is no longer available in 1Password 8, either through the tray icon or the app. Please add this feature back. It is very useful. Thanks.

• Hello @chris42,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know how useful you found this feature. I've cast a vote on your behalf, letting the product team know this is something you'd like to see make a return to the app's system tray icon.

Creating or editing items in the 1Password 8 app will allow to Create a New Password using the password generator. This functionality is also available in 1Password in the browser: Create a custom password.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

ref: IDEA-I-298

• KentonYAD
    KentonYAD
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

No password generator was a wrong decision. When will it be added back in? I used to go to the top of the screen on my Mac and make a new password for everything I was doing. I had no idea how much I used that until I couldn't.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Hello,
    With Bitwarden you have no connection between the PC program and the browser extension.
    If you do not leave the browser active after closing, you will have to unlock the extension each time you open the browser.
    Dashlane doesn't even have a program anymore, there's only the extension.
    Proverb : "We often think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but that is not always the case. "

• emilepr
    emilepr
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Just adding my 2c in here - the password generator on the desktop app is sorely missed. PLEASE bring it back.

• brps
    brps
    Community Member

Please bring password generator back, it's an integral piece of 1password, the amount of time wasted because of this change is huge. Thanks.

• Hi folks,

We appreciate the additional feedback and votes for the return of the Password Generator, in app. We have no news to share about when or if this feature will make a return, but I've added votes for @KentonYAD, @Ekalb, @emilepr and @brps so the product team is aware.

We'll continue to advocate for other customers who would like to see this feature make a return. Thanks for your interest!

• duke2010
    duke2010
    Community Member

I would like to add my +1 for return of the password generator the system tray (or at least in the main app).

I am really missing it from 1Password7. It's really puzzling that this feature has gone.

• Hi @duke2010,

Thanks for letting us know you're missing this feature from 1Password 7. I included your feedback for the team. 👍

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

I would like to add my voice to those of who are asking for a quick way to generate a password especially as 1P8 doesn't allow the user to use the suggested one when in Travel Mode. Cheers.

• Hello @J4rm4n,

Thanks for the feedback here. I've passed along your vote to the Product team. 👍

• pixel8
    pixel8
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

When will we get feedback from the product team if this feature is on the roadmap and approximately when, please?

I'm trying to create a new user in a web application and we have to enter and create a new password. Do I really have to create the user in 1password first, then in the app?

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2022

Hello @pixel8,

Thanks for your message. Currently, we have no news to share about when or if this type of feature might be added to 1Password 8, but since it looks like you're new to the fray, I'll pass your request along to the team for consideration.

For the time being, in order to create a new generated password for a web app, you can create the new Login item in 1Password 8 and once you select the password field, an option will appear to Create a New Password. This functionality is similar to the password generator:

The password generator is also available in 1Password in the browser: Create a custom password

If you have any other questions or concerns, just let us know!

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

+1. I'd vote for this to be directly accessible from menu also (rather than only from the new/edit entry screen) - assume the macOS version is the same too!

• PLISSKEN
    PLISSKEN
    Community Member

Saw this thread and wanted to chime in, did a mock-up too :D

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

I'd love it to be accessible through a keyboard shortcut too :)

• Hello @PLISSKEN,

Thanks for your mock-up and feedback about the inclusion of password generator in the 1Password 8 app.

@Darcorn, I appreciate you sending @PLISSKEN this way and for your additional comment about the this feature being available through a keyboard shortcut.

I'll send your thoughts along to the Product team regarding both ideas.

• 1Passworder1
    1Passworder1
    Community Member

I wish the community had an upvote feature so that users could upvote requested features, instead of having to comment "+1 from me" and then dev team members having to keep track of that.

+1 from me.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

@1Passworder1

I wish the community had an upvote feature so that users could upvote requested features

+1 from me! 😉

• wihu
    wihu
    Community Member

+1 from me. This is a sorely missed feature

• jeffdial
    jeffdial
    Community Member

Thought I could switch from LastPass to 1Password, but without a password generator that is easy to access. I don't see that happening.

Please add a password generator to the left side bar and I'll look at coming back.
    Also, please in the left column add a filter that you can click on the show. Any passwords or items that are not tagged.
    PS this is for the Mac version I would like this as well as iOS version.
    Thank you

• Hi @1Passworder1, @wihu, and @jeffdial! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on making the password generator easier to access - I've passed your comments along to the Product team.

@jeffdial you can view all untagged items by typing =untagged into the search bar, and using Ctrl + Enter to Show all matching items. However, I can definitely see how including this option in the sidebar could be more convenient. I would be happy to file a feature request for this on your behalf - just let me know!

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

However, I can definitely see how including this option in the sidebar could be more convenient. I would be happy to file a feature request for this on your behalf - just let me know!

1PW v7 had that didn't it? I'm sure I used to see how many untagged entries I had? @1P_Gem was this (another) feature from v7 that wasn't included in the original v8 scope & build?

• cg500001pw
    cg500001pw
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

+1 vote to bring the password generator back!! This should be easy findable on PC and Mobile devices. Having to create a new item to generate a new strong PW for some scenarious is a bad user experience.

• Thanks for your feedback, @cg500001pw - I've passed these detail along to the team.

ref: 29757795

• jvosk
    jvosk
    Community Member

+1 for bringing the password generator back. Ditto cg500001pw's remark; needing to create a new item to generate a new PW is sub-optimal UX. Especially for users that have 10s to 100s of passwords to change, say, due to switching password manager provider from a certain recently-breached company... :/

• Hello @jvosk,

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the 1Password Community!

If you are looking to change and strengthen passwords after you've imported your data from another password manager, this guide provides steps that include the use of a suggested password from our password generator with 1Password in the browser.

When changing the password for an already existing item saved in 1Password, the workflow can be found here, change your password in the 1Password apps.

If you need to a create a new password without need of an actual 1Password item, this is currently available through the extension, Create a custom password.

@jvost and @cg500001pw - if you regularly need to create one-off passwords and aren't for a webpage login or you are in need of creating one without an item, could you both provide some additional feedback about what you would use this functionality for, but 1Password in the browser won't do the trick? I'd be happy to pass any use cases along to the Product team.

ref: 29757795

• mpavitt
    mpavitt
    Community Member

New user here...LastPass refugee. I see this issue is more than a year old. I also would like the password generator to be more easily available in Windows app. For what it's worth, add another vote to the pile.

• porterhouse
    porterhouse
    Community Member

Just moved over from LastPass and sad this isn't a feature anymore. To say I used it a lot would be an understatement. Please add it back!