Problems logging into my son's account on a shared Mac

Options
mfiorentino
mfiorentino
Community Member

I have a "shared" MacBook in my family that we all use - each with different user macOS profiles. Previously, I was the only one using 1Password, and my wife came on board later using 1Password inside her user profile. I have now tried to set up 1Password for my oldest kid, but I cannot sign in using his credentials. He is onboarded on iOS on his phone, and everything works fine there, but I cannot figure out how to make 1Password log him in on his profile on the Mac. I can only seem to use my credentials. I cannot remember how I managed to make it work for my wife – it just seemed to work back somehow when I set her account up.

Any hints would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why can I only access the same account on several different user accounts on a Mac?

Comments

• Hey there @mfiorentino

If you're seeing a screen like this, where you're offered an existing 1Password account (but the wrong one), click "Sign in with a different account" at the bottom, as shown in orange.

Then, you can click "Scan Setup Code" to scan the Setup Code shown on your son's iPhone: Find your Secret Key or Setup Code.

After you've scanned the Setup Code, you can have him enter his account password and he'll be signed in successfully.

Let me know how that goes. I'll be here if you run into trouble or have any questions. :)

— Grey

• mfiorentino
    mfiorentino
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @GreyM1P,
    Thank you for your reply. But I don't see such a screen. Whenever I open up the 1Password app on his Mac profile, I am only presented with the regular login screen (with the lock and input field). Furthermore, the option to log in to a different account is also greyed out in the app's menu.

• @mfiorentino

It sounds like you're seeing the lock screen, which only asks for an account password. Hover your mouse pointer over the family portrait on the lock screen to check if the correct email address is added, like this:

If your son's email address is shown, he can sign in with his account password as normal.

If you're seeing a different email address (yours, perhaps), sign in with the account password for the email address shown, then Sign out of 1Password. You'll then see the option to create a new account or sign in to an existing one. On that screen, you might be offered accounts, as in my example above. If none of them are the right one for your son, click "Sign in with a different account" and then "Scan Setup Code" and you can let him sign in to his account that way.

If the email address shown when you hover over the account icon isn't one you recognise or have the account password for, you'll need to reset 1Password on your Mac: How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device. Then you'll be able to sign in from scratch.

I hope that'll get things sorted out, but if not, I can help you further.

• mfiorentino
    mfiorentino
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh. There we go. So I must have signed in using my account previously (which I cannot remember). Logging out and then back in with his account did the trick. Thank you very much for your help @GreyM1P!

• @mfiorentino

Woo! Glad to hear that fixed it. If you ever need anything from us at 1Password Support, please do contact us. We'll be here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.