Feature: Get icon from URL for me

svish
svish
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Lounge

Currently there's only two ways to get a proper icon for login items:

• 1Password happen to already have one in their list
  • I have to manually download an image, edit an item, click on the item, "Choose new icon...", find the image and select it.

This is very much a hassle. Most websites these days already have high-res versions of their icons available, either via their favicon, via meta-tags in their HTML, or via a standard manifest-file. And it seems you even actually already load some of them into the app!

1. When you already load it, why don't you use it?
  2. How about adding an option in addition to "Choose new icon...", for example "Fetch icon from..." and let me pick one of the URL's I've added to the item? It should then be trivial for the 1Password app to go fetch that URL, potentially look for an app manifest, and either way, find a good sized icon from either the HTML directly, or a manifest-file.

Additionally, there should be a "Use default" option, which would use whatever icon 1Password would use by default.

And... in the case that 1Password adds new high-res images to ones I have custom ones for, maybe some sort of notification with the option to remove my custom icon and use your new high-res default instead?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022

Hello @svish,

Sorry for the delay in response. I can see that you been chatting with a colleague via and this issue was reported there as well. If you'd like, you can continue the conversation over there. We've filed this issue internally with the team. We appreciate your report of this behaviour!

ref: dev/core/core#18063
    ref: AVV-71423-492

• svish
    svish
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d If it's added as an issue in your list, then I'm happy. I just decided to also post it here, as it was easier to provide more details here, screenshots and such.

• Hi @svish - thanks for your reply and reporting it here as well. πŸ˜€

• mads
    mads
    Community Member

I, too, would like to see these features implemented, so please keep the rest of us updated as well.

• chutz
    chutz
    Community Member

+1 for this request to let us request a download from the website on demand. I understand the feature is lacking to make audits easier, and I would be very happy to click on each item one by one to update the icons... as long as it is made slightly easier.

• @mads and @chutz

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed along your requests and comments to our Product team so that they can explore this further.

-Dave

ref: PB-33351842
    ref: PB- 33351922

• @svish

The issue that prevented 1Password from displaying rich icons in the item list has now been resolved as of the latest update! πŸŽ‰

Please update to version 8.10.24 or later: How to keep 1Password up to date

Thank you again for your patience and your report. If you still see the issue after updating and restarting 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18063

• svish
    svish
    Community Member

@Dave_1P That's great!

Then it's just to allow us to initiate an icon download from a website left, and the icon feature of 1Password will be superb! πŸ˜πŸ‘

• @svish

Thanks again for the request and feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• legowerewolf
    legowerewolf
    Community Member

+1 - I'd like to be able to pull the icon automatically too.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 29

@legowerewolf

Thank you for the request! I've passed it along to the team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-38018801

• CaptainDDL
    CaptainDDL
    Community Member

I would love this feature as well.

When I add a software license to my vault, I often fill in the download page or a URL field. If 1Password could pull in the site's Favicon, that would be wonderful.

Otherwise allowing us to provide the URL to the image when changing the icon would be almost as convenient.

Thanks!

• @CaptainDDL

Thanks for the feedback, I've let the team know that you'd like to see this feature too.

For the time being you can edit the item, click on the icon, and click Choose new icon to add a custom icon to the item from an image located on your device.

If you're able to provide the names of the apps whose licenses you're adding to 1Password, I can file issues to have their icons added to our rich icon database so that they show up automatically for everyone.

-Dave

ref: PB-39001528