Apple Watch: 1 PW8 Has No Items in Watch App

lysander
lysander
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Apple Watch

How do I get my 1PW Apple Watch app to sync?
I am running the latest version of apps on iMac, iPhone and Watch 6 running WatchOS 9.0.2

I get this message:

Where are the 3 dots?
Is there some secret handshake I don't know about to make it sync?
Very unintuitive app if this is the case.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @lysander

You'll find the (•••) menu at the top-right corner of the item when viewing it on the paired iPhone, like this:

This will add the tag Apple Watch to the item. Give that a try and let me know how it works for you. :)

— Grey

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Yes, that works.
    Suggestion: Have your Technical Writers / Interface Designer add a meaningful message to the Watch app.
    The current message is unintelligible and offers no clue as to how to add items.

After looking at the Watch app I find it adds little value and deleted the app from my Watch. I see no use case for app on my Watch since I am either going to use my iMac or iPhone to access my passwords.

• @lysander

No problem if you don't find the Apple Watch app useful. We hear that customers enjoy having quick access to their one-time passwords from their watch face and being able to access their most important items when they don't have easy access to their iPhone or other devices. If you always have access to 1Password on another device, it might not be something you make much use of.

I've passed on the feedback about the text advising how to add items to your Apple Watch to our team for their consideration. If you need anything else from us, please do let us know and we'll be here to help.

ref: dev/core/core#18062

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

Thanks. Yes, use depends on how people access 1PW. I always have an iPhone or iMac available so using the tiny Watch screen does not appear to me. Some folks may be more Watch centric and then it is a good option for them.

• @lysander – Quite right. And we want to make sure we give people options in how (and where) they use 1Password. Not everyone will use all of 1Password's features, I'm sure, but we would rather give someone an option and them not use it than vice versa. :)

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member

Just a heads up, I had an odd delay in the items showing up. Initially got the same message ... but when I just checked now the items are there.

• @lspeterman – That's interesting to hear, thank you! Please let me know if you notice that delay if you add any more items, beyond just the first sync. I'd expect that larger items will take a bit of time to transfer since it's going via Bluetooth which isn't super speedy, but do tell me how it goes. :)

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member

Just ran 2 tests, 1 add, 1 remove, and worked quickly. Probably just initial lag connecting the app since I hadn't used it in awhile.

• @lspeterman – Hopefully so. Keep an eye on it and if it gets laggy or sluggish, I'd be interested to hear about it.

• @lspeterman

Following on Grey's coattails, do you recall if 1Password on the phone was locked when you originally opened the watch app? No worries if you don't recall. It's just something I am curious about. Trying to fit a puzzle together, if you will, and figure out the picture to be revealed.

Cheers!

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member

I don't recall, but very possible that it was.

• Thanks lspeterman.

• JBrooker
    JBrooker
    Community Member

I now have 1P8 working on both a series 7 & 8 Apple Watch. I removed one of the OTP items and then added it back in. At that point it seems they all synced and became visible in the Series 7 Watch. The Series 8 was already working with recent updates.

• @JBrooker

I'm happy to hear that everything is working now. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.