How to create additional personal/private vaults for a specific family member?

timtam300
timtam300
Community Member

If I understand correctly family subscriptions get a default "shared vault" and each person gets their own personal vault. No one else but that person can access this personal private vault. Even family organizers cannot access these vaults or change permissions.

Now if an individual person creates a new vault and gives themselves access, a family organizer can still modify that vault permissions and give others access....which means it's not a secure/private vault at all.

So in summary, the only truly private vault is the initial vault that is created for each family member. Any subsequently manually created vault is not truly private. Is this true?
If so, is there any other way to create additional vaults that only one person will have access to?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022

@timtam300

Short answer, No it's not possible to have additional vaults like this.

We do have a feature request for this ability. I'll mention to the team this interests you.

ref: IDEA-I-564

• timtam300
    timtam300
    Community Member

Thanks. One of the reasons that this is a big deal for me is because in 1Password 7 I was able to use both the Family plan as well as add vaults mounted from other sources (such as dropbox), thus keeping those vaults separate/private. 1password 8 doesn't have this feature, and instead I am being told to migrate everything to the family plan when I open 1pw8. This is a customer experience degradation and we're losing out on a useful feature. I'm going to remain on 1Password 7 as long as possible.

• @timtam300

Thank you for providing those details about your use case, I've passed them along to the product team as well.

One option that you could consider is creating a second account for yourself in your 1Password Families membership. That would give you access to a second Private vault and keep your items separated inside of the two accounts.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.