Why are High Sierra users stuck with 1P7

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

A long-time user of 1Password. After many years I moved to a Family subscription and I love it by the way. But here's the rub. We are still running macOS High Sierra on several of our Macs because we want to continue using several 32-bit applications. I love 1P8 on my work PC (Windows), and I just upgraded to 1P8 on my iPhone and work Mac (running Monterey). Why did you decide not to support 1P8 on High Sierra?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @ajahn

macOS High Sierra last received an update from Apple over four years ago, on July 9th, 2018, and is considered end-of-life. Typically, although they don't give an official date for this, Apple tends to provide security updates for the three most recent major versions – in this case, macOS Monterey, macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina.

When macOS Ventura is released (probably within the next few weeks, as of this post, although unconfirmed), macOS Catalina will probably not receive any more security updates and will also be considered end-of-life.

As a security-focused company making a security-focused product, we want to make sure that any new major version of 1Password we produce runs on a currently-supported version of a device's operating system that is still receiving security updates. It's the same reason that we require Windows 10 or 11 to run 1Password 8 for Windows, for example, or iOS 15 or later to run 1Password for iOS. (iOS 15, despite not being the latest version, received its most recent update, 15.7, on September 12th, 2022.)

I hope that explains our rationale, but please do let me know if you have any questions or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Grey. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. As long as I can use 1P7 for now, I'm happy. I have been thinking about upgrading macOS where I can. My wife still uses a old 2010 MBP that can't be upgraded past High Sierra. Thanks.

• @ajahn – I'm glad to hear my answer was helpful, and you're very welcome. If you ever need anything from us at 1Password Support, please do contact us. :)

This discussion has been closed.