FaceID not available in IOS Safari Extension (version8)

Boschje
Boschje
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

In 1Password 8 I don’t seem to be able to use FaceID anymore to log in with the safari extension. Am I missing something or is this not possible anymore? Pretty annoying to be honest.

FaceID is enabled and I can use it in the 1 Password app itself.

Comments

• MS1Pass
    MS1Pass
    Community Member

I have the same problem, this makes the extension really cumbersome and annoying to use... It feels like a step backwards. Am I missing something?

• mclong
    mclong
    Community Member

This is very annoying. 1Password, please fix ASAP.

• Ken Ng
    Ken Ng
    Community Member

I thought I was getting insane when I lost this too. Are we the only ones that is missing this? I’m even on 1Password 8 beta via Testflight to get the latest beta releases is it comes and so far, no FaceID support yet!

• BKrnk
    BKrnk
    Community Member

I had the same problem. I was able to fix it. Deactivate the Extension in safari. Reboot your phone. And activate again + login in the extension.

But yes seems like a bug and is really annoying.

Currently I am using the following version:

• Zayatoshi
    Zayatoshi
    Community Member

hello. same problem. disabling the extension reboot.. and re-enabling didn't change anything for me.

• etchlings
    etchlings
    Community Member

Same issue. No Face ID for logging into safari extensions on iOS 16

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Same problem here ... 🤔

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member

Same issue here. I tried @BKrnk's suggested workaround and it does nothing. This seems like a pretty serious regression.

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member

After upgrading the macOS version and even installing the safari extensionI thought that all the negative feedback was a tempest in a teacup. There are a bunch of regressions on the mac version too, but they're worth some of the improved safety and better UI conveniences. So I thought it was just people not liking change. But, wow, this is an absolute train wreck. And this bug has been open since august? The app is unusable! Autofill doesn't work and half the time it prompts me for my full passphrase and still doesn't work. An absolutely embarrassing display.

I'm back on 7 now, and I've just left a 1-star review on the app store in the hopes that I can warn others away from accidentally upgrading. This level of incompetence makes me worried that I might get locked out of my accounts on my iPhone entirely if I don't have some kind of non-1password backup.

• Hi folks,

With the latest iOS 16 update, 1Password has temporarily turned off Touch ID and Face ID in Safari due to changes in the user flow and experience. Biometric sign-in across all other devices and browsers other than Safari will remain the same. 1Password understands the importance of biometrics, namely the security and convenience it offers our customers. We would like to bring back this feature one day and are working closely with our partners at Apple to figure out how to make that happen.

There are changes coming in iOS 16.1 which will allow our Safari Web Extension to work directly with the native APIs for biometrics. We're actively working on adapting the extension to use those new APIs, but it won't be possible until after iOS 16.1 is released.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben ! So let's wait for iOS 16.1. 😉

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

@Ben Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. But why does Safari 1Password Extension ask for the master password every time? Can't it honor the setting to only ask every 2 weeks etc.?

• BaronKrause
    BaronKrause
    Community Member

I read that Face ID has been disabled temporarily due to a change on apples end, but im noticing that it seems that the extension is flat out ignoring your remembered login time.

Once Safari is closed (either manually close the app or it gets offloaded from memory due to another program) it will require reauthorization, and it will not try to use Face ID anymore (since its been disabled), only prompting for the password.

The first time your open it after closing it will look as if its still logged in and opens the window, but you will notice there is no login suggestions for the site your on even if there normally would be. And if you back out and try to open it again it will now ask for the login (no Face ID, it treats it as a first login after fresh boot).

Is this also part of the change that disabled Face ID or is this a bug? It’s happening on both my iOS 16 iPhone and iOS 15 iPad.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: IOS 15&16
    Browser:_ Safari

• BaronKrause
    BaronKrause
    Community Member

@Ben do we know if the current extension only staying signed in for that session regardless of your selected time/day range (until force closed, or unloaded from memory by something else) is a side effect of this change, or is that currently a bug?

• @BaronKrause (I've merged your other comment into this thread as well) and @mirv

1Password for Safari asking for your account password repeatedly is an issue that our developers are investigating and hope to fix in a future update. I'm sorry that you're affected and I've added your reports to the internal work item for the issue.

As a temporary workaround, you can use Password AutoFill to fill and save your logins: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17626

• MotoDC
    MotoDC
    Community Member

Thanks for the information/update @Ben . For me the best approach has been to disable the extension and just set iOS password keeper to use 1Password.

Biometrics works, and although you don’t get the nice drop down options right on the webpage fields, I’m not entering my master password 100 times a day. I’ll use this workaround until the extension is figured out. :)

• Crunchewy
    Crunchewy
    Community Member

“set iOS password keeper to use 1Password”

How do you do this?

• 1Password Approved Answer

Hello folks,

1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while the team worked to resolve this issue. 🙂

-Dave

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

Yay it works! I was ok with the Autofill workaround but it's nice to have the proper Safari extension again. Thanks!

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member

Not working anymore for 8.9.9 (RC1)

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

Same, also on 8.9.9 (RC1) and not working anymore. Had a week or so where things seemed perfect.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member

The latest v8 is a regression. I have to constantly type my password into the safari extension. What happened? Doesn’t matter if I’m on the release version or beta of 1PW8. Please fix this again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

Yep same for me. Leaving Autofill on allows the key icon to remain there. It’s a decent workaround (again).

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member

V8.9.9 (80909016)/ RC1 candidate broke the Biometric unlock for the Safari extension on my iPhone 11 and iPad 8th gen

• Mosabon
    Mosabon
    Community Member

Had to uninstall and reinstall the app on iPhone to get back FaceID!

This discussion has been closed.