Mac app + Firefox Extension - 2FA is required twice?

Options
plaintxt
plaintxt
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Business and Teams

We have 2FA configured via Duo with a 1 day timeout. When I need to authenticate, I have to do so for both the app and the FF extension. In other words, I have to go through the authentication steps twice. I previously used the Classic Extension and only had to authenticate once.

I think I understand that the FF extension is truly another instance of 1pw, but I don't understand why the there's no communication between the app and the extension with regard to authentication.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• Hey @plaintxt:

Thanks for sharing where you're running into trouble. This is something we're actively investigating, and hope to have sorted out soon. I've added you to our list of affected users on an internal issue we have for this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14190

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

Ok cool thanks @Jack.P_1P :)

• @plaintxt

On behalf of Jack, you're most welcome! 😊

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P @ag_chantelle Any update? I'm now seeing an error popup that says Authentication Timed Out (or similar, should have taken a screenshot) even though I authenticated through the browser.

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Here's the alert I mentioned yesterday. The steps I took this morning:

1. Click the Use 1Password button to fill a form
    2. This opens 1Password (desktop app? Hard to tell). I enter my master password.
    3. A new browser tab is opened prompting me to log into our 1Password account.
    4. When I fill those credentials, a Duo prompt asks me to authenticate. I send a push to my phone.
    5. I'm authenticated and am logged into our 1Password account. I close the tab.
    6. After maybe 5 minutes, the alert pops up saying that my authentication has timed out.

Mac app 8.7.1

• Hi @plaintxt:

Are you still running into trouble with using Duo and 1Password? Let me know, and I'll be able to take a closer look.

Jack

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Yes. From what I've read in the release notes, no updates have been pushed that affect Duo authentication or communication between the desktop app and browser extension.

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P This morning, I opened 1pw via clicking the lock icon on a username field, entered my master password, and went about my business. Several minutes later, I saw the authentication timed out / expired notice. But I had never been prompted to authenticate.

What in the world is going on with authentication? I understand that our agency is likely in the minority of users who authenticate with Duo and that that means this is a greater problem for us than the larger community. But since opening this ticket in April, there's been no progress and no communication about when users can expect progress.

I also understand that you're fielding and responding to user questions and problems all day every day. My frustration is in no way personal. I appreciate anything you can do to elevate this issue or any answers/communication you can tease out of the engineers.

Sidebar, this notice again popped up while I was writing this message. I still haven't been prompted to authenticate today.

• Hello there @plaintxt ,

Thanks for emailing in to us about this issue. I've just replied to your ticket and will continue troubleshooting with you there. Please keep an eye on your inbox for that message.

Cheers,

• jamie_murphy
    jamie_murphy
    Community Member
    Options

ive experienced this over the last few months too.

We are also concerned about the duo auths that randomly open in browser windows. after the breach at uber where a user accepted random pushes weve been telling staff to be careful about duo pushes and the pushes for 1password's duo integration are coming up again and again as feeling out of place.

It would be better if the 1password app opened a small window and had the 2fa website inside it rather than opening the 2fa prompt in a browser. it would make it much more obvious that this 2fa request is legit rather than a webpage/browser suddenly opening

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@jamie_murphy I've been advised that 1Password 8's Duo integration contains known bugs and that the developers are aware. Support suggested either removing Duo from our workflow (possibly using 1Password's native 2FA in its place) or downgrading to 1Password 7.

• @jamie_murphy Thanks for sharing this feedback and making sure it's on our radar. I think you've got a very valid point and will ensure the team is made aware of your suggestion. Thank you for contributing to 1Passwords evolution.

ref: IDEA-I-2086

@plaintxt If you have a support ticket open with us in the past, would you be able to reply back to it to reopen your case? I'd like to see if there any recent updates to our Duo integration that you may be unaware of. I believe you are generally correct, but want to ensure we keep you in the loop regarding any recent updates. Thanks!

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@ScottS1P Yes I've been emailing with you and our account manager for a few weeks.

• Thanks for confirming, @plaintxt -- I believe I located and replied to your ticket. I'll email you there when there is any news.

This discussion has been closed.