Sort by password age removed from v8?

Options
andykelly
andykelly
Community Member

In v8 I can only sort items by name, date created, and date modified. You used to also be able to sort by password age which is useful for updating old passwords. Date modified doesn't cover this as a non-password related change may have been made.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @andykelly! 👋

Sorting items by password age hasn't yet been implemented in 1Password 8. We do have a feature request open for this and I've added your vote in support of the feature.

In the meantime, Watchtower can help you find passwords that you need to change: Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Thank you for the feedback! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-678

• Kalmaro
    Kalmaro
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add to that. That was one of the most basic features I used in the previous version to see which passwords need updating.
    It could potentially be an option in Watchtower instead, with the option to select how old you want passwords to show up there when they need changing.

• @Kalmaro

Regular password changes for no other reason but because an amount of time has passed is no longer recommended as a security practice by many cybersecurity experts and organizations such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). We recommend that you change your passwords if one of the following conditions is met:

1. The password for a website/account is not a secure and unique password generated by 1Password.
    2. 1Password's Watchtower sends you a warning that your password for a website/account has been reused or was found in a data breach.

That being said, I've passed along your suggestion regarding making searching by password age an option in Watchtower to our product team. 🙂

-Dave

• Kalmaro
    Kalmaro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, I hadn't seen that. In that case never mind, and it saves me a lot of time updating passwords! I presume it was intentionally left out of the new 1Password for this reason? I guess I'll just relax and wait for any Watchtower issues.

• @Kalmaro

Nowadays, with a strong enough password, it can't be cracked before the universe expires, so there's much less need to rotate them. We'd only be replacing an "impossible to crack" password with another one, and that doesn't add any benefit.

When generating a new password for anything, make sure that the strength bar shows a dark-ish green, like this, so that you know it's a Fantastic password:

If Watchtower flags any passwords as Weak, then they should definitely be strengthened: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Similarly, if any of your Logins are reusing the same password, those should be changed. And if you can add two-factor authentication to any of your Logins, you should do so, to give yourself the best security for that website.

If you have any questions, please let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.