I have used 1Password since 2014 and v. 8 is just not doing it for me.

Options
dboeck
dboeck
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

The only way I can log in is to cut and paste username and password from 1Password. Can't reveal passwords. New logins are not recognised and I can't generate passwords. No Autofill function. This even happens when trying to login to 1Password!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 8 is virtually unusable. I need help!!

Comments

• Hi there @dboeck

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with 1Password 8. Just to check, have you switched over your Password AutoFill settings when you first opened 1Password 8? Here's how to check:

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Make sure that:
    • AutoFill Passwords is turned on
    • 1Password is checked
    • all others, especially Keychain, are unchecked.

Then, when you tap a Password field in an app, you should see the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard, allowing you to choose an item from 1Password to autofill.

☞ You can test autofill here: https://fill.dev/form/login-simple – tap the Password field and, if it's working properly, you'll see the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard. Tap the "🔑 Passwords" button and unlock 1Password if required. It will show "No Logins Found", which is to be expected for this test website.

Let me know how that goes. If you're still having a problem autofilling, I'll be happy to get you the right help. :)

— Grey

• dboeck
    dboeck
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Grey. I've been having the same issues with v. 8 on my Macs. Neither Mac Preferences or IOS Settings give me Passwords as an option to select. Dominic

• @dboeck

When you open Settings on your iPhone or iPad, you should find Passwords in the sixth section down, below Apple ID management, connectivity, notifications, General etc, and App Store/Apple Pay:

Then, when you tap Passwords, you can tap Password Options. On the Password Options screen, you'll need to make sure that AutoFill Passwords is turned on, and only 1Password is checked.

On your Mac, make sure that you've installed the appropriate browser extension from here: Get started with 1Password in your browser. If you were using Safari with 1Password 7, you'll need to install 1Password for Safari to work with 1Password 8 – other browsers can use the same extension as before.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the above.

• dboeck
    dboeck
    Community Member
    Options

IOS all fine thank you Grey. Mac still not right - I have 1 Password for Safari (as far as I can tell) but can you clarify the settings for me? D

• @dboeck

Great! Here's what to do next:

1. Open the "1Password for Safari" app. If you're not sure where to find it, open the Finder and click the Go menu > Applications.

ℹ️ If it's not there, you'll need to install it from the App Store here: 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store.

1. In "1Password for Safari", click "Open Safari Preferences". Make sure that "1Password for Safari" is turned on and that any other older 1Password extensions are turned off.

2. Click "Always Allow on Every Website", shown below, and confirm.

ℹ️ If you don't see that "Always Allow on Every Website" button, you've probably already clicked it. To check, click "Edit Websites" instead and make sure that all options are set to Allow, like this:

Remember to scroll down and choose "Allow" on every option in that list.

1. Close the "1Password for Safari" window – it doesn't need to be open for 1Password to work in Safari.

2. If you don't see 1Password in the toolbar of Safari, follow the instructions here to add it: If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar — Safari.

3. That's it! 1Password in Safari is now set up and is ready to use.

You can find out more about how to use 1Password in the browser here: Get started with 1Password in your browser.

If you have any particular questions, please do let me know. :)

• dboeck
    dboeck
    Community Member
    Options

Mac passwords working OK now - so far. But when I can't fill out forms online asking for personal details. When I click the, say. NAME box the drop down button appears but does not offer a 1Password option. When I open 1Password, it doesn't offer an autofill option. How do I fill out personal details from 1P on MAC? Thanks

• dboeck
    dboeck
    Community Member
    Options

No need to reply - probably operator error!!

• @dboeck

You should see your Identity item offered to you when you click an Address, City, or Zip Code field on a form, such as on this example form: https://fill.dev/form/identity-simple

If you're not offered it, you can have your Identity autofilled by clicking 1Password in the browser toolbar, your Identity, then Autofill, like this:

There's more about how to work with credit cards and addresses here: Save and fill credit cards and addresses. Hopefully that will be useful to you as reference.

• dboeck
    dboeck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Grey, I'm getting there!

• @dboeck

On behalf of Grey, you're most welcome!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.