Apple Watch Unlock not unlocking

thought_police
thought_police
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Apple Watch

Hi

In the Preferences for 1Password I have checked "Unlock using Apple Watch". So when I wish to use a password I go through the procedure to unlock with my watch. The watch does respond with the little vibration and asks me to click twice. So, I click twice on the Apple watch but nothing happens with 1Password, I just have to enter the master password anyway.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about this one?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.9..4
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Mac OS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @thought_police:

Can you try the following steps to see if it helps resolve the Apple Watch issue?

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac app.
    2. From the menu bar, select 1Password > Preferences > Security.
    3. Deselect "Unlock using Apple Watch", and then reselect it.

After completing the above steps, are you able to unlock the app using your Apple Watch?

Alvin

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member

Thank you for your response.

I tried your suggestion but it doesn't work.

I'll add that the Apple Watch Unlock doesn't work with 1Password on either of my Macs. I have a Mac Mini from early 2019 and a new MacBook Air which I've had for about ten days (it's very nice!). Anyway the Apple Watch Unlock works almost flawlessly on both these Macs for logging in however the Watch does not work with 1Password on either of the Macs.

• Thanks so much for giving that a shot @thought_police. Since you're able to unlock the Macs with the Apple Watch, can you try the following steps to see if it helps?

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password 7 > Preferences > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch").
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Uncheck "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    3. Check to make sure that MacOS is fully up to date How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support
    4. Reset the SMC for your Mac: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
    5. Restart your Mac normally one more time (If you have more than one Mac connected to your iCloud account, do not proceed to the next step until you've updated each one to the latest version of macOS.)
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Check "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    7. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password (1Password 7 > Preferences > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

Let me know if that helps or you have any questions along the way. 😊

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member

Hi

Thank you Alvin for that response. I have worked out now why it wasn't working and now it is working!

The fault was all mine and it demonstrates a lot of ignorance of the Apple Watch on my behalf.

The button to double click is not the little thumbwheel, it is another button beside that. I've just realised that now. I suspect seasoned Apple Watch users will find it funny that I didn't know that, but I've never needed to use that button before.

Thank you for your efforts and I'm sorry for wasting your time on this.

• No worries at all @thought_police. I'm so glad to hear that you're able to use your Apple Watch to unlock 1Password now! 😊

• ricardosanx
    ricardosanx
    Community Member

@Alvin.L_1P Mac watch unlock HAS worked with this Mac/Watch previously. It just STOPPED randomly. Since then I have also tried to resolve by upgrading to 1Password8 and Macbook to Monterey... I have also tried the process above. I am using Macbook Air with M1 (according to the article and elsewhere you cannot reset the SMC.) So I unticked both > rebooted > re-ticked both places... still doesn't work.

• Hey @ricardosanx:

Just to confirm, are you currently not able to unlock the MacBook itself using your Apple Watch? If that's the case, I'd suggest contacting Apple Support since they'll have a better understanding of what's happening.

If you're unable to use the Apple Watch to unlock 1Password afterwards, or are currently able to unlock the MacBook but not 1Password , please let me know and I'll be happy to help you further.

Alvin

• MaxwellT
    MaxwellT
    Community Member

I have the same problem. AppleWatch will unlock my MacBookPro but not 1Password. Mac OS Monterey 1.5, iPassword 7.95, Apple Watch 8.5. I have tried the resetting the AppleWatch Mac Preferences and 1Password applewatch preference.

• MaxwellT
    MaxwellT
    Community Member

Sorry - typo in my post. Running OS 12.5 on my MB Pro.

• Hi @MaxwellT,

What is the model of your MacBook Pro?  > About this Mac > System Report > Model Identifier. Please let us know. Thanks!

Ben

• MaxwellT
    MaxwellT
    Community Member

MacBookPro13,3

I have been able to open 1Password with my watch until recently.

• MaxwellT
    MaxwellT
    Community Member

MacBookPro13,3

• MaxwellT
    MaxwellT
    Community Member

Any ideas on how to restore the ability to unlock with my Apple Watch?

• Hi @MaxwellT

Thanks for providing that information. Your Mac is compatible with Apple Watch unlock. If you've tried resetting the Apple Watch Unlock settings in your 1Password and Mac preferences and this hasn't helped, then can you give the steps listed in Alvin's previous post a try?

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password 7 > Preferences > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch").
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Uncheck "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    3. Check to make sure that MacOS is fully up to date How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support
    4. Reset the SMC for your Mac: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
    5. Restart your Mac normally one more time (If you have more than one Mac connected to your iCloud account, do not proceed to the next step until you've updated each one to the latest version of macOS.)
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Check "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    7. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password (1Password 7 > Preferences > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

Let me know if this helps and if not we can take it from there 🙂

Kester

• johnnyweb
    johnnyweb
    Community Member

HI there, I have an M1 Mac and gone through the restart procedure several times as above. I can unlock my Mac with my watch but not 1password V8. It was working fine with V7. Everything is fully up to date patch wise and 1password shows the icon for watch unlock but no message makes it to the watch.

• Hi @johnnyweb:

In that case, it sounds like we might want to take a closer look at your specific setup. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• johnnyweb
    johnnyweb
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P thanks for that. I've submitted the report [#HPQ-99351-698]

Cheers - John

• jac.pd_1p
    edited September 2022

Hi @johnnyweb,

Thanks for letting us know your support ID, we've received your email on our end and we'll make sure to reach back out as soon as possible!

ref: HPQ-99351-698

• johnnyweb
    johnnyweb
    Community Member

My watch has just upgraded to WatchOS 9. Login still doesn't work but Im assuming I'll need to resend the report?

• Hey @johnnyweb :

There's no need to resend a new report. I've sent a reply to your email. Thanks so much!

Alvin

• johnnyweb
    johnnyweb
    Community Member

Update to previous post @Jack.P_1P . It's now working with Watch OS9. You can close the support request :)

• Thanks so much for the update @johnnyweb !

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

I've recently experienced an interesting and new problem with  Watch Unlock on 1P8 on macOS (for SSH agents) - after upgrading my iPhone to the new 14 Pro Max, when 1P8 kicks my Watch to ask me to double-tap to confirm, the watch immediately closes the request, before I have a chance to tap.

The largest impact for me is that the SSH Agent functionality breaks entirely and I can't log in to hosts without disabling Apple Watch in 1P8.

The above recommended steps to remediate the issue work for a few hours, maybe a day, but, eventually break again -- it's not just 1P8 that has the problem though, it's the entire macOS -> Watch pairing. So if I do something that requires root permission and the system would normally prompt me to confirm via my Watch, that, too, is immediately shown and closed before I could tap the button.

But, as I say, disabling the Watch authorisation in 1P8 and macOS, shutting down, removing power cord (MacPro 2019), restarting, re-enabling, seems to let things work for a while. But once it breaks, it won't work again until the above steps are followed. Frustrating!

• @doetraar

I'm sorry to hear that the issue keeps reoccurring over and over again. You're correct that, if you're also seeing the issue when you try to use the Apple Watch to authenticate as an admin in macOS itself, this seems like it might be a macOS issue. I recommend reaching out to Apple Support so that they can take a look to see what might be going wrong.

If Apple Support is able to help you fix the issue as it affects admin authentication for macOS but you're still seeing the issue with 1Password then let me know and we can take it from there. 🙂

-Dave

• IsThisNameTaken
    IsThisNameTaken
    Community Member

Like others on this and similar forum posts, I can unlock my 2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro with my Apple watch. And until recently, I could unlock 1P8 also. Then, to unlock 1P, I'd have to click on its icon several times before the watch unlock prompt appeared. Now it doesn't appear at all. I've tried relevant "solutions" posted here and in other forums with no luck. I'll email a diagnostics report to see if that helps.

• Hi @IsThisNameTaken:

Thanks for sending a diagnostics report through to us. I can confirm that we've received it and someone will be back in touch soon to help you further :)

• IsThisNameTaken
    IsThisNameTaken
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Well, of course, after sending in my diagnostics report, unlocking with my watch worked today for the first time in a couple weeks. Don't know how long this will last.

ref: KJY-38626-289

• @IsThisNameTaken

I'm happy to hear that everything is working now. If the problem returns then please reply to my colleague's last email and we can dig deeper into the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.