Autofill Notes.app password

Options
johngraybosch
johngraybosch
Community Member

How do I use app autofill on 1Password 8 to autofill the login password into the Apple Notes app for locked notes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @johngraybosch! 👋

After you've setup Universal Autofill on your Mac, you can fill your Apple Notes password (which is different from the password used to log into your Mac) by following these steps:

1. Create and save a Login item for your Apple Notes password in 1Password.
    2. Open Apple Notes.
    3. Click on a locked note.
    4. Click in the "Enter Password" field and then press Command-Backslash.
    5. In the Quick Access window that appears, search for the Login item that you created in step 1, highlight it, and press enter.
    6. Click Fill and Update Login.

Apple Notes will now become associated with that Login item and, in the future, you can fill your password by just pressing Command-Backslash.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• johngraybosch
    johngraybosch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, it's not working for me though. I tried the steps and I can fill in terminal but not Notes. I switched my notes app to using my login password with the new iOS 16 / MacOS Ventura feature.

• @johngraybosch

Looking into this, it does seem like 1Password tries to Universal Autofill into the wrong places in the Notes app when the Search field is visible. I've raised an issue for this so that the development team can take a look.

In the meantime, you can follow these steps instead:

1. Open Quick Access – the default keyboard shortcut is ⇧⌘Space (Shift–Command–Space).
    2. Find the item containing your macOS login password.
    3. Press ⇧⌘C (Shift–Command–C) to copy the password to the clipboard.
    4. Paste the password into the password field in the Notes app with ⌘V (Command–V).

ℹ️ If you press ⇧↩ (Shift–Enter) in Quick Access with your macOS login password item highlighted, with the Notes app in the foreground, you'll be prompted to "Fill Once" or "Fill & Update Login". Clicking "Fill & Update Login" will link the Notes app to that item so that it's suggested in the future, even if it can't successfully autofill right now.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#18237

This discussion has been closed.