Consideration for autofilling new 1password entries with the domain @catcha

Options
nimer
nimer
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Like many people, every new signup I engage in I use the domain @ my primary email setup through a catchall.

Have you guys considered allowing a setting to autopopulate the username field with the domain @ whatever the user has preconfigured

Doing this for 10+ years I’ve ended up with about 800 unique logins it’s always an exceptional tool to identify email theft and/or reselling these credentials

1Password Version: Any
Extension Version: Any
OS Version: Any
Browser:_ Any
Referrer: forum-search:Catchall email autopopulate

Comments

• Hi there @nimer

1Password already has support for Masked Emails, a service from our friends at Fastmail:

Use 1Password to create and manage Masked Emails in Fastmail

This works in the browser in sign-up forms, and you can turn Masked Emails on or off from 1Password in the browser. This might be close to what you're looking for.

We don't have anything like what you've suggested (specifically) planned right now, but if you can let me know if I've understood your idea correctly, I can submit it on your behalf. It sounds like the way this would work is that you would create a new Login item and the username field would be pre-filled with @example.com so that you can add something before the @-sign. Is that right? Apologies if I've misunderstood. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

— Grey

• nimer
    nimer
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

and hello back @GreyM1P

no need to apologies, at times i even cant quite figure out what i'm trying to express

so lets say user owns the domain @example.com and has catchalls enabled to forward all email to the main account.

again for example, if i was creating a new login record using the prompts, when 1password opens and asks for a username, it would auto-populate the domain from the site that triggered that request/event, through some setting that has been enabled and configured.

this is a messy example as 1password.community in theory would be used 1password.community@example.com but i dont expect it to be intelligent enough to add the second suffix ".community"

in the grander scheme of things, this is a 20 second time saving quality of life issue, i thought of it as each time i find myself having to flip back and forth in ios copy and pasting, to avoid being abused by autocorrect.

the feature might though, encourage users to own a domain for which every login has a separate email associated domain@example.com which would obviously also encourage and incorporate a no reused password enviroment

edit - and as for masked email / Fastmail. if you guys have incorporated this then i'm sure at some level there is a open source component demonstrating privacy as the core architecture... I dont trust others. and often when ending up communicating with these retailers through domains engaging via a randomized email in my opinion gives a legitimate cause for concern from the logins perspective, fraud etc.....

domains are cheap, hosting is cheap. if want to be lazy google makes things tremendously convenient. everyone should own a domain purely from the aspect of this form of login management, domain and hosting probably cosets 100$ a year tops

fastmail @ $9 / user / mont, while on first glance has some grand claims regarding privacy.. i will agree the price they are charging seems sufficient. a exorbitantly inexpensive or free product only turns the user into the product.

alternatively, the lowest tier crazydomains offering 4.50aud a month w 100 user/email accounts and 150gb + 20$ a year for a .com. and genuinely any monkey see monkey doo individual will have absolutely no issues setting things up

edit 2 - 20min checking out fastmail.... i'm surprised ive never come across this service... it appears exceptional , the thing is though. i just dont trust, and honestly no-one should post patriot act et el

This discussion has been closed.