Why are useful features dropped in v8? Is going back to 7 possible?

Options
hoeni
hoeni
Community Member

Hi,

using 1Password for so many years now, I don't care so much about fancy design as for efficient workflows. Now I'll have to realize that some features, that were part of my daily workflows, have simply been dropped in v8 making things much more complicated:

• Dragging an application to 1Password to create a license entry, prefilled with name, version and logo of the application. Now, this needs to be done in many cumbersome steps...
  • Typing a string in the search to limit the list to matching items and browse their details. For example, typing 'visa' limits the list to all VISA cards, now I can scroll through the list, read each entries' comments and compare for example. Now I can only choose an item from the dropdown, read it, type "visa" again, choose another entry, read it, type "visa" again, ... This has become so much more uncomfortable now...

Two questions:
Does anyone know the reason why these useful features have been dropped?
Is it possible to go back to version 7 without data loss?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @hoeni

1Password 8 was a complete rewrite from the ground up because of the change to the Rust programming language, and so that we can make 1Password a uniform experience across Mac, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux. As such, none of the existing code from 1Password 7 is present in 1Password 8.

Dragging an application to 1Password to create a license entry, prefilled with name, version and logo of the application.

We've had requests to bring this feature back, so I'll add your vote for it.

Typing a string in the search to limit the list to matching items and browse their details.

If you press ⌘↩ (Command–Enter) after your search, you'll see a list of results, like this:

That'll then allow you to click each result and check its contents without losing the list of results. You could click "Show all matching items" at the bottom of the search overlay instead.

We still provide installers for discontinued versions of 1Password on our Downloads website in the "Using an older computer?" section in the bottom-right corner.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

ref: IDEA-I-464

• hoeni
    hoeni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Grey,

thanks for quick and helpful answer and explanation. As a software engineer, I see the pain (and joy ;-) ) of full rewrites.

If you press ⌘↩ (Command–Enter) after your search, you'll see a list of results

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was missing. :-). I completely overlooked that option.

Dragging an application to 1Password to create a license entry, prefilled with name, version and logo of the application.

We've had requests to bring this feature back, so I'll add your vote for it.

That would be realy helpful. For example, I just bought a Bundle Hunt software bundle. Before v8, entering 5-10 apps was a matter of a few minutes: Drag app, paste serial, drag app, paste serial, ... . Now this is so much work (as I still love to have icons and version), that I'll delay doing this, hoping the revived feature comes first in 1Password :-))

Thank you,

Tobi

• @hoeni

Thank you for explaining your use case further, I've added it to the internal tracking item for the request so that our product team is aware. 🙂

-Dave

• hoeni
    hoeni
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P

If you press ⌘↩ (Command–Enter) after your search, you'll see a list of results

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was missing. :-). I completely overlooked that option.

There is still a little feature missing compared to v7 with Search & ⌘↩:
    When activated, the Box XXXX Results for "<Search Term>", overlays the sorting pane for the entries, so there is still no way to see all matching results in a specific order (e.g. the oldest matching first or the like). Or did I miss it?

Tobi

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@hoeni all the usability problems you've found were reported about a year ago during early access but (almost) nothing was changed. Instead 1PW8 got some kind of hidden search feature activated by CMD + F. This opens another search box just above the list of elements and next to the sort button. This search works almost like the far superior search of 1PW7, i. e. show results inline without an additional shortcut.

• hoeni
    hoeni
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, just found another thing I'm really missing: Once you could just press the Alt-Key while hovering a password field to see it's content while ALT was pressed. Still miss this a lot. Or is there a different Key for that now?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@hoeni this feature was initially not reimplemented. After many complaints it was reimplemented but disabled by default. You can enable it in Preferences - Security - Hold Option to toggle...

• hoeni
    hoeni
    Community Member
    Options

@viswiz Wow, thank you, I have my ALT-hovering again 🎉

However, pressing CMD-F (or ⌘F) just focuses the regular search input here...

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@hoeni oh, sorry, it's CMD + OPT + F and should look like this:

• hoeni
    hoeni
    Community Member
    Options

@viswiz Ah, this way it shows up... But this still misses the ability to sort.

So we have 3 different ways to search now, but none of these has the possibilities of the previous one? 🤪

I never understood the point of the search dropdown, anyway: There is one place where items are listed and another place above where you can type letters to limit them. That's a well known UX pattern, which even my 75 old mother recognizes in any unknown app. I can't see the benefit of an additional dropdown...

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@hoeni I‘ve asked several times why search was changed to this uncommon UI/UX pattern… still waiting for an answer🤔

I‘m using 1PW since version 1 and participating in this forum for many years. In all those years I‘ve never seen complaints about search …until 1PW 8 was released😳 The ‚team‘ is looking into all those problems for months. Maybe they should stop looking and start to reimplementing the search UI of the previous versions.

• tzosel
    tzosel
    Community Member
    Options

Bring back the Mini UI Please!!!!

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

"Maybe they should stop looking and start to reimplementing the search UI of the previous versions."

Exactly. Your users are telling you search worked before, and it does not now. What else do you need to know? I understand you cannot reuse the code because you chose to rewrite the app in a different language. Are you telling us it's not possible to implement the same functionality using this new language?

This discussion has been closed.