Support for Orion Browser

Comments

• psax78
    psax78
    Community Member

Hoping to see 1password support orion, which otherwise would be my favorite browser.

• FailSafe
    FailSafe
    Community Member

+1 for full Orion browser support with the 1P extension.

• duffpop
    duffpop
    Community Member

Huge +1 for Orion browser support. 1Password being unsupported is the only thing stopping me from switching over to Orion full-time!

• stoyle
    stoyle
    Community Member

+1 for full Orion browser support with the 1P extension.

• hollabit
    hollabit
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

@GreyM1P Universal Autofill is indeed useful. But as you know there are some features that would still require full extension support, such as:

• Filling info from Identities and credit cards
    • Auto saving and updating login info
    • Privacy.com and Fastmail integration

Please reconsider adding full extension support for Orion. 🙏

• hadifarnoud
    hadifarnoud
    Community Member

Any update on Orion support? The only thing stopping me from switching to Orion is 1Password

• hadifarnoud
    hadifarnoud
    Community Member

I just realized users been asking for this for over a year! Orion already supports Chrome Extensions. The only thing they have to do is to allow 1P on Orion.

couldn't it be done in a week? @GreyM1P
    give me a reason for not supporting Orion. don't you care about your users?

• RetroAvenger
    RetroAvenger
    Community Member

Hey 1Pass team - universal autofill is awesome but would really love to know what the road block is for Orion? Are WebKit based browsers harder to whitelist? It seems a litte goofy that the best response we can get is "use universal autofill". Hoping we get native integration so I don't have to use universal autofill.

• RetroAvenger
    RetroAvenger
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Would love a least a little insight. Not asking for a roadmap, just want to understand what the hold up is.

• kishanpatel
    kishanpatel
    Community Member

Universal Autofill still leaves a lot to be desired. That is not a sufficient response to our request. Native integration is the way. What exactly is the hurdle to whitelist Orion?

Switching to Electron was to streamline development right? How come no one can spare a minute to inform their customers? The most requested "feature" on your website and we can't even get a straight answer.. it's getting a bit ridiculous.

• chocobuono
    chocobuono
    Community Member

Another +1 here. Universal autofill is definitely not enough for my usecase...

• vijmal
    vijmal
    Community Member

+1 if it helps.
    the only thng that is stopping me from moving to Orion

• Gadiguibou
    Gadiguibou
    Community Member

+1 for this

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member

Universal Autofill is absolutely not a serious replacement for the browser extension. You can't update/generate passwords, 2FA autofill is
    a worse experience, and even when it comes to filling basic passwords Universal Autofill itself is not as reliable as the browser extension (presumably because the desktop app has less/no visibility into the DOM and sometimes can't figure out which fields to fill).

In general, it's confusing what the supposed security concerns are with loading 1Password onto browsers that aren't certified. 1P doesn't note these anywhere, and other password managers don't share these concerns & allow their extensions to load on any browser that can support it. There's never been a clear answer on why; and it's become clear that it's not a question of how 'niche' a browser is given instant pre-beta support for browsers like Arc at a point when the browser was far, far more niche than Orion.

Across Windows and macOS, this absurdly means that I can't even use 1Password's extension properly in open-source Chromium browsers where the extension loads, fully works, but just refuses to connect to the desktop app because of this arbitrary native messaging barrier.

It's not just this issue itself; it's 1Password's response to this (or rather, lack thereof) that makes me want to switch away. This feels like a dark pattern from 1P that started with the 1P8 rollout where 1P team members just kept beating around the bush when asked questions from the community about certain decisions (with responses essentially boiling down to "trust us, we know better, and don't really care for your feedback" rather than explaining). I'm someone who runs a business that uses 1P with 10+ accounts, meaning I'm spending well over $1,000 annually with 1P, and this pattern is enough of an issue where I've begun getting quotes and evaluating other options. Truly absurd and disappointing from an app that, just a few years ago, was nearing perfection across the board.

• Monkey121
    Monkey121
    Community Member

Another +1 here.
    Lets make this happen :)

• Uwe92
    Uwe92
    Community Member

Hey @GreyM1P this post was created on October 2021 ! After one year 1Password was not able to make a extension for Orion Browser? Whats wrong? And can you please talk to us clearly if there is any Extension coming soon or not???

• @Uwe92

There's a lot of work being done behind the scenes at 1Password so that support for less common browsers doesn't have to be added on a case-by-case basis like it does now. We're looking into ways that a user could grant permission to a browser for it to be able to securely use 1Password for autofill. That's not a small project, particularly with all the security engineering that has to go into it. Ultimately, the plan is to make requests for support for specific browsers a thing of the past. We think it'll be worth the wait, and when there's more to share on that, we will. :)

• vijmal
    vijmal
    Community Member

+1 if it helps.

• EdsonBittencourt
    EdsonBittencourt
    Community Member

+1 if it helps.

• ebaines3
    ebaines3
    Community Member

+1, super excited for the universal browser support feature, most particularly for Orion!

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

@Joy_1P Can Orion support please be added to 1P?

• @vijmal, @EdsonBittencourt, @ebaines3, @B0rg

Thank you for your feedback, I have added your votes 🙂

• @helpmeobiwan, I have added your feedback to the feature request 🙂

• misko
    misko
    Community Member

+1 for Orion support. Universal solution to grant permission for browser by user is ultimately the best solution. Just hope that it will not take years to implement it.

• vprelovac
    vprelovac
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hey @GreyM1P

There's a lot of work being done behind the scenes at 1Password so that support for less common browsers doesn't have to be added on a case-by-case basis like it does now.

This does not match reality. Arc Browser got fast tracked and received 1Password support in no time, while still being in invite only beta. So 'less known' argument does not hold water here.

On the other hand thousands of mutual Orion and 1Password users are making this one of the most requested features on this site for over a year now and still no support. Something does not add up, and your explainations frankly leave a lot to be desired.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member

Common @GreyM1P, from a development perspective, I know it will not take too much time to make 1Password extension compatible with Orion. Currently, you are putting all of us on hold by saying 'there's a lot of work to be done' (and this will probably be true for the new solution that you guys are developing). But you should ask yourself, what creates more customer satisfaction and connection?: having everybody in the Orion thread wait until you've figured out the new solution or just put one or two devs up to the task to make it work. I'm certain this would not take more time than a few days in collaboration with @vprelovac and his team. They've got Firefox and Chrome extension support, so what gives? If I were 1Password, I would choose to repair my relationship with all of us in this thread. It got seriously damaged already (also by how you guys handled the feedback on version 8).

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Just chiming in, to say that I agree with everything said by @vprelovac & @janpeeters. In fact, more than anything else, your handling of the situation, your absence of real answers, the fact that you keep dodging, camouflaging…
    All of that, and much more, destroyed my trust, and I’ll go as soon as my subscription expires. As @janpeeters, there is also a lot to be desired with V8, and I can see that no one cares in the 1P team, no one asks, no one is interested in customer feedback and satisfaction.
    There is still time to change my mind, but the last few months have shown me plenty, and I doubt anything will change for the best.
    I’m one of those customers that is going to leave (with a family account), and spread the word of my dissatisfaction everywhere.