TouchID stopped working since iOS16 [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• @alangoldsa

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. It sounds like you're running into a known issue that our developers are investigating and I'd like to request a diagnostics report so that I can confirm this and advise further:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• rbernius
    rbernius
    Community Member

I have the same issue. What a royal pain. If it's not fixed soon I'll need to find another password manager.

• jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member

Uh…far easier to erase the phone and restore from a backup than switching to another password manager. Don’t understand why people get so touchy about this stuff. In the grand plan of your life this isn’t even a blip man. Relax.

• astrix
    astrix
    Community Member

I think it's even easier just to switch back to version 7 if that is possible?

• astrix
    astrix
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I was able to install 1Password 7 from my apps not on my phone from the cloud and now have both installed and chose version 7 to do autofill and it works and so does face ID.. yay! I guess now I can safely delete v 8 once I see my latest info on there.

• jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member

Yes rolling back to 7 is a working option. It’s ridiculous that we have to do this but from what I’ve heard from support they seem to be close on a solution.

• sebrk
    sebrk
    Community Member

Would love to hear how this has hit 1Password specifically and not other apps. Thank you for addressing this.

• Hello folks,

Thank you for your feedback and reports. 1Password understands the importance of biometrics, namely the security and convenience it offers our customers and our development team is working on this issue. We hope to have a fix included in a future update to 1Password 8 for iOS/iPadOS.

-Dave

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

Dave, what has happened to your company here? Agree with prior post that this hasn’t hit other apps. Is it your devotion to electron? Is it your focus on so many platforms at once without sufficient coordination? How has this festered for so long, and what is your target date for resolution?

Oh how the mighty have fallen in providing a usable solution that was so solid and such a market leader

• jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Huh. Oddly enough still plenty usable aside from this niche bug on iPhones which affects those of us that do a full reset on our phones. If it's that big of a deal back up your phone, erase it, and restore it which fixes the problem. Its only a bit more drastic than a full reset and definitely a lot less drama than is displayed in your post. Other companies software is irrelevant here and I expect if it wasn't causing them real problems it would have been fixed already.

• RylenF
    RylenF
    Community Member

I would like to go back to 7 - until this problem is resolved. How exactly can I do that? It is really taking a very long time for a fix on this issue?

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

jkratz: I just got a new phone 14 on launch. No desire to start over. And other companies’s software is relevant because other companies use bio authentication and haven’t found it broken. Electron as a development platform has ruined 1password. Causing them real problems should not be an excuse when they obviously don’t have the tech talent to keep their software working. This isn’t a giveaway—it’s a mission critical piece of software by a “professional” company, or at least it used to be.

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member

@GreyM1P is there a fix released already?
    Someone mentioned that we could roll back 1password 7.
    I'm not seeing the 1password 7 in the App Store.

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

I see that there is a new version just released that reportedly fixes these problems. I’ve downloaded it and will try. It’s been way too long coming, but I look forward to getting back on track.

• RylenF
    RylenF
    Community Member

Please 🙏 report back!

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

Worked on iPadOS immediately. Did not work on iOS (yes I did the upgrade in the App Store) even after force quitting 1Password and Safari (still kept asking for password in Safari to open the 1password extension). But after I uninstalled and re-installed from the App Store all seems good.

• jens22
    jens22
    Community Member

This is as pervasive as ever. Neither my iPad nor my IPhone 13 will unlock via biometrics (faceID) in Safari on iOS or iPadOS. The option doesn’t even show up. FaceID works fine for the 1Password8 app on both devices.

• RylenF
    RylenF
    Community Member

I updated my iPhone with today’s update 16.1, removed the 1Password app, reloaded and opened. I did not opt in immediately to use the Face ID, but instead went to safety to make sure the toggle in FaceID was operable and turned on there. It works! Hallelujah!

• shawnye
    shawnye
    Community Member

@RylenF Can you describe a little bit more with actions? I tried as you said but biometrics did not come back.

• Uninstall 1P8 (1P7 still stays on my phone)
    • Re-download 1P8, reboot my phone, open 1P8
    • Set up my account without FaceID enabled at first, turn it on in Settings
  • mkor89
    mkor89
    Community Member

I had to reset my settings and this issue has affected me since then. Kind of a fatal issue for a password manager not to be able to use FaceID.

• wreetj
    wreetj
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Hi all,

Before my question, I’m using 1password v8.9.7 and iOS 16.1.1 with the latest iPhone SE.

I have 1 issue that very annoying since I’ve already setup touch ID on my phone.

Everytime I’m opening 1password app, the app always requires master password intead touch ID. Totally its hurts me :(

Does anyone have some problem here? And how to fix it?

Anyway I share screen record here on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fvljiz5lhqymy5/1pass8.mov?dl=0

Thank you

• kutekoala
    kutekoala
    Community Member

Summary

@GreyM1P Can you please provide a status update? Is the 1Password 8 Face ID and Touch ID issue resolved for iOS 15 and iOS 16?

Details

I checked the 1Password 8.9.7 release notes on Nov 1, 2022 that said the following.

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

But I'm not sure if that means Face ID and Touch ID are working for all iOS versions. I tested 1Password 8 on my iPhone SE generation 1 running iOS 15.7.1 and Touch ID works fine—I don't have Face ID. But I'm not sure if the problem is still happening for iOS 16 since I can't upgrade my iPhone SE generation 1 to iOS 16.

I read your earlier status update but I didn't see you mention if the problem only effects iOS 16 and not iOS 15.

Aside question: What does the #17988 number mean? That looks like a ticket or bug report number and I wonder if there is an actual link to 17988 that I can check out. I tried looking up https://1password.community/discussion/17988 but that discussion post didn't seem related.

Thanks for reading!

• @kutekoala

Is the 1Password 8 Face ID and Touch ID issue resolved for iOS 15 and iOS 16?

It'll be included in the next update for 1Password for iOS. That update has been written, and it's going through final testing. We're hoping it'll be available very soon, unless there's a problem found during testing.

I checked the 1Password 8.9.7 release notes on Nov 1, 2022 that said the following.

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

That line specifically relates to unlocking 1Password in Safari (the Safari extension), rather than 1Password itself. We've had reports of the main 1Password app being unable to unlock using Face ID or Touch ID from both iOS 15 and iOS 16 – it's not a version-specific bug.

What does the #17988 number mean? That looks like a ticket or bug report number

Yes, it's a bug number. We include them in our release notes when things are fixed, so you'll be able to look for it in the App Store listing, or on the 1Password Releases blog when the update is released:

1Password for iOS Releases

• carlwright
    carlwright
    Community Member

Hi

I've recently purchase a new iPad 9 Gen which has touch id. I have set up Touch ID and have no problems with any other apps or logging into the iPad using touch.

The only app that's causing any problems is 1Password. Every time I open the app up it asks for the Thumb access but then immediately says "You need to enter your account password before you can use Touch ID". I enter the password but as soon as I open the app again it wants to have the password again and Touch ID has never worked.

I've tried resetting touch id, new thumb prints, restarts, re-installed 1Password. No luck.

1Password works fine on my iPhone with Face ID but not on this iPad.

Like I say, all other apps are working fine.

I've run out of ideas now as to what else I could do?

Thanks
    Carl

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi there @carlwright

It's not just you. There is a bug in the currently-available version of 1Password for iOS which causes problems with unlocking it using Face ID or Touch ID. Our development team have solved that problem and we'll be publishing an update which includes that fix very very soon. :)

— Grey

• carlwright
    carlwright
    Community Member

Ah brilliant. I'm glad I'm not allone!

Thanks
    Carl

This discussion has been closed.