Unable to copy passwords from 1Password in Safari

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Paste Text v8 ios.

Comments

• albie
    albie
    Community Member
    Options

I have the reverse problem. If I open 1P v8 from the browser icon (iPhone or iPad), go to the password field and choose copy, then go back to Safari, there’s nothing to paste even though it said it copied. Then if I open another app - Notes, Word, email, etc., I can paste the password…so have to do that, then copy it again, and then paste it into the browser. Pretty sure this is a v8 problem, as I’m still on iPad OS 15, not 16.

• Hello @albie! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble copying passwords from 1Password in Safari. The issue seems to be that the copy function permissions get confused after an update, our team is working with Apple to try to improve this situation. Can you try following these steps to see if we can get copying working again?

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Tap Other Websites.
    6. Tap/select Ask.
    7. Switch back to Safari (the app).
    8. Tap the aA / puzzle piece icon.
    9. Tap 1Password.
    10. Tap Allow.

At that point you should be able to copy info from within the 1Password extension. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9820

• albie
    albie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P . Just tried this and it still doesn’t work :-(

I did as you instructed, opened 1Password, and when I click on the password, it says Copied Password. But it didn’t - in any app (Safari, email, etc.) there is nothing to paste, so it didn’t actually copy anything. This effectively makes the whole tool rather useless, since one of the main reasons I got it is to use randomly generated passwords…but then I have to write them on a piece of paper and key them in manually if I want to use them.

Also, in 1Password, it is only giving me the option to “Open and Fill” (on the one I’m trying to do). Sometimes “Autofill” is an option, but not on this. However, the website I want to use it on (an airline site) has a “choose your country” pop-up before you can get to the login info, so the “Open and Fill” doesn’t work either.

I’m on an iPad Pro running iOS 15.6.1, although I’ll upgrade soon to iPad OS 16.

• @albie

I'm sorry that the workaround steps didn't work, they help some users but not others. Our developers are investigating the issue and we hope to include a fix in a future update. As of this writing, I don't have a timeline of when a fix will be released. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

I do recommend updating to the latest version of iPadOS, let me know if that improves the situation.

Also, in 1Password, it is only giving me the option to “Open and Fill” (on the one I’m trying to do). Sometimes “Autofill” is an option, but not on this. However, the website I want to use it on (an airline site) has a “choose your country” pop-up before you can get to the login info, so the “Open and Fill” doesn’t work either.

Can you change the website address currently saved in the Login Item inside of 1Password to one that directly links to the airline site's login page (skipping the choose your country pop-up)?

-Dave

• nishchan
    nishchan
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same issue, unable to paste anything from the 1Password iOS app including passwords, one time codes.

• @nishchan

I'm sorry that you're having trouble copying and pasting information on your iOS device. This thread is specifically about the 1Password for Safari browser extension, is that where you're having trouble as well? Or are you unable to copy items from the main 1Password 8 for iOS app itself?

If it's the former then can you please try the steps that I posted earlier here (which work for some users): https://1password.community/discussion/comment/663342/#Comment_663342

-Dave

• nishchan
    nishchan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I made a typo in my comment. I am also having the issue only in the iOS 1Password 7 extension. I have no issues copying from the app itself.

• @nishchan

Have you tried the workaround that I linked to in my previous comment? Let me know if it didn't work.

With the launch of 1Password 8 for iOS, 1Password 7 for iOS is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. If the workaround doesn't work then can you update to 1Password 8 for iOS to see if that resolves the issue for you? Here's a guide that will help: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for iOS

-Dave

• bright6
    bright6
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue in 1pw8 safari extension. I cannot copy anything from the extension, if I try password generator, it will show “unable to copy generated password”, btw, I’m using iPad os 16.3

• @bright6

I'm sorry that you're unable to copy passwords from the 1Password for Safari extension. Try to see if the workaround that I posted above helps: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/663342/#Comment_663342

If it doesn't then this is an issue that our developers are investigating, hopefully it can be permanently fixed with a future update. I've added your report to the internal work item for the issue.

-Dave

• bright6
    bright6
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Tried that workaround for multiple times already. It doesn't help.

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P, I've had this issue a few times. I believe I had filed a ticket some time ago, but no luck yet.

Could you confirm whether 1Password has confirmed this issue or it needs more user reports + user diagnostics? I've had this issue a few times and it is, as others note, a tough workaround of writing passwords onto a sheet of paper first (!).

It claims it has copied the password, but nothing is actually copied.

• @bright6 and @ikjadoon

Our developers are investigating and they don't need any more diagnostics reports for the moment. Until the issue is resolved you can still copy passwords from the main 1Password for iOS app.

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the kind update, @Dave_1P. Ah, oh, wow, that's a much better workaround. For some reason, I thought the bug also affected the app, not just the extension.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I appreciate that 1Password is investigating; please let us know anything we can do to help. I'll keep an eye out here: https://releases.1password.com/ios/

• @ikjadoon

Hopefully the problem can be resolved in the future. Our release notes are indeed the first place where a fix for this issue will be announced. 🙂

-Dave

• wilruns
    wilruns
    Community Member
    Options

just wanna say that i also have the same problem, it works on my iPhone but doesn’t work on iPad

• @wilruns

I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue. I've let our developers know so that they're aware.

-Dave

• BryanS
    BryanS
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - Your 10-step program from November fixed my inability to copy passwords from the Generator History. There was a trivial additional step, but I figured I’d note it, in case it helps.

Had to select “Always allow” for the active site and then again select “Always Allow on Every Website”.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BryanS

I'm happy that the steps helped and thank you for sharing that extra step, I'm sure that it'll help other folks as well. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.