Tool for detecting and removing duplicates? [Available in 8.10.18]

Comments

• JavierVazquez
    JavierVazquez
    Community Member

Dear 1Password team, please give this feature a higher priority. The chaos in my vault is unbearable. :-( In short: +1 from me.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2022

I wish I had more encouraging news to share, but at this time this is not something that is on our roadmap. I'll continue to advocate for it, but as it stands I don't think a duplicate cleanup tool is something we'll see in 1Password in the foreseeable future.

What I do think we'll make efforts toward is preventing as many duplicates from being created in the first place. These efforts will likely focus around the import process and the in-browser experience.

As for what is currently available to help clean up duplicates:

• Watchtower's Reused Passwords checker
    • Sort options: sort by title to spot similarly named items (e.g. multiple "Google" items)
    • Creation and modification timestamps on item details

We'll continue to gather feedback on the situation. With that feedback if you can please include:

• Any guesses as to how you ended up with duplicate items e.g. from import, migration, or saving multiple times from the browser extension
    • Any brainstorming you might have about how 1Password can help you find duplicates, beyond what I've mentioned above
    • What 1Password can do / help you do once a duplicate is identified
    • For your items that are "duplicates"... are they exact duplicates, or just similar items? In what ways are they different?

Having a better understanding of the answers to those questions may help with getting forward momentum here.

Ben

• brockarella
    brockarella
    Community Member

Hi, I imported my passwords from Chrome and Apple Keychain so I could use 1password as my main, but now I've got hundreds of duplicates. Please make this feature happen! Even just a merge tool, for now, would be perfection!

• McShan
    McShan
    Community Member

Super inconvenient -- I upgraded to 1password8 and now have hundreds of duplicates. Please bring back the duplicate removal tool! This is very painful for people that have been using 1password for a long time. Please help us early adopters!

• McShan
    McShan
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

@ben Catching up on this thread, Its pretty bad. This is a complete fail.

Even worse, the lack of support for this is a sign the company is obviously making some bad choices. Is this what we get for being long term loyal customers? Yikes. Seems like time to move on.

More specifically this may be what moves me to one of the many many other solutions out there. Its hard to believe this has not been addressed yet. As a software developer this should be a simple fix: Allow the user to identify duplicate content, and remove it.

Duplicate content for me looks like:
    - identical username + password + create/update dates.

A diff of the content would provide an exact match minus any internal IDs. Duplicate content. Why is this so difficult?

Allow the user to "remove duplicates" - and the discarded items could go in the trash (incase some accident). This should not take more than a day to fix, and will save your customers exponentially more time. As for how I got the duplicates, all I did was update to the latest version (a bad decision obviously).

If this isnt fixed soon I'm out -- along with my faith with the product, and my suggestion to anyone I know.

• BlueSkies999
    BlueSkies999
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

My Duplicates occurred when I upgraded from V7 standalone on my least used machine to V8. I was already using V8 on two other Macs an iPhone and two iPads. That upgrade process was terrible. It wanted me to create a new 1Password membership (I already have a membership which there was no obvious way to connect to.). I ended up downloading V8 and installing it. It said I had to convert my V7 data to V8. It was not at all clear that I could have just skipped that step. Now I've got about 800 duplicates. The upgrade process needs to be more clear so duplicates are not created in the first place. We also need a duplicate finder/remover tool.

• FrankyO1P
    edited November 2022

Hi folks,

Thank you for the feedback on how you ended up with duplicate entries. This feedback helps us understand how we can help prevent such situations in the future. We also understand how useful a deduplication feature would be as it would also solve future issues.

As Ben said in a previous reply, we'll continue to advocate for the feature to be created in the future. I also want to note that for anyone who hasn't previously had a vote filed, I've gone ahead and added your votes.

IDEA-I-615

• Sakabarajp
    Sakabarajp
    Community Member

+1 for me too. I used to be a fervent supporter of 1Password (ever since 2006). I have to admit that I dread sorting out my some 3300 entries. I was used to a much responsive company/developer that could be entrusted with mac users passwords. Now... I have serious doubts. Please 1password developers, do something about the duplicate issue. It's important to mac, iPhone, iPad users. We don't need fancy stuff, just a password manager we can rely on.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

Can anybody comment about the "best" known workflow for doing this manually?

Export to this format: __________
    Use this tool: ___________
    Filter in Excel
    Re-import

• dwabyick
    dwabyick
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hi team 1password -

I find this unacceptable that you don't have this feature.

I finally upgraded from 1password 6 to improve my experience, and in the process of the upgrading multiple devices it created duplicates in a single vault. Thus I have a degraded experience.

This is making me reconsider whether I want to continue my subscription to 1password. Unfortunate as I was planning on buying my wife a subscription too so we can share.

Could we get a target quarter where this feature will be available?

• Hi @dwabyick

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community.

This post contains the latest information we have on this subject. I'm sorry to hear you ended up with duplicated items in your vault. There are a number of ways 1Password can help you identify and clean up items that are duplicated:

• Watchtower's Reused Passwords checker
    • Sort options: sort by title to spot similarly named items (e.g. multiple "Google" items)
    • Creation and modification timestamps on item details

Please let us know if we can help you use any of these features. 😊

Ben

• dwabyick
    dwabyick
    Community Member

I was able to clean it up reasonably quickly (about 10 minutes), but I could imagine this being a lot worse for others. Ben - I know you're doing your best, and I imagine there are higher priority features out there, but I hope this does get resolved eventually.

• We have a number of thoughts around migration and import that we're investigating to see if we can better prevent duplicates from being created in the first place. From what our product team is saying, it sounds like there will be improvements made in those areas. I'm not aware of any definite efforts on a dedicated tool for cleanup once they occur, but as outlined above there are a few ways 1Password can help you identify such items if they do get created.

Ben

• tjwelde
    tjwelde
    Community Member

Hi 1Password-Team,
    was just importing all my passwords from chrome and safari and naturally have many duplicates now, so +1 on this feature.
    I was going through them manually a bit and I found myself copying potential login URLs for sites from one item to the other.
    So I think what would be good to have in this feature is a way to merge two items. Maybe see them both side-by-side and you can select what you want to take from which item?

• mikentosh
    mikentosh
    Community Member

A tool to find and delete duplicates was in version 7 and is not in version 8? I would like to use this tool. I am tempted to go back to version 7, delete dupes, then import into version 8. Hmmmmmm......

• Hi @mikentosh,

The hope is that we can lessen the instances where duplicates are created in the first place, but I can still understanding wanting the tool in the latest version of 1Password, I'll add your feedback to the tracker mentioned earlier in this thread.

If you haven't already, I recommend contacting us via email at support@1Password.com so we can investigate what caused your duplicate items. You can include a link to this thread and your forum username so we can connect the conversations. Any additional information like a recent migration from an earlier version or importing data will also help! The tool in 1Password 7 is very conservative so depending on the source of the duplicate items, it may not be a worthwhile course of action.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-615

• mikentosh
    mikentosh
    Community Member

Thanks, Andrew.

I have contacted via the support email address and have received a couple of responses and guidance on how to delete items. I completely understood how to do that prior to reaching out. Even deleting multiple items at once. I suppose that will have to suffice for now.

I have migrated through multiple versions of 1Password over the years. I’ve been a fan since day one. I don’t recall having this much of an issue until Version 8. I think I might go back and check my V7 database and compare. I can still install that, correct?

• Hi @mikentosh,

Glad to hear you have a path forward, sorry it wasn't as seamless as we would've hoped though.

That's correct, 1Password 7 remains available as a legacy download on our website: 1Password Downloads

Some of the duplicate issues we saw were a result of lingering local vaults from previous versions that weren't deleted, so the same thing won't happen with future versions now that folks are using 1Password.com accounts. I do recommend deleting old local vaults if you still have them though, as to avoid any already-migrated data from being sent over to 1Password 8 again!

• +1 please. I too have a boatload of duplicates since migrating from a local legacy 1P vault file to 1P online.

• et01267
    et01267
    Community Member

OK, so 4 months later. Where's the de-duplication feature? Just moving from LastPass because they are clowns, and now find that my import generated a bunch of duplicates (over 800 pairs). How do I clean this up?

This discussion has been closed.