Trouble searching for and filling logins

This discussion was created from comments split from: is there any possibility to go back to version 7?.

Comments

• albie
    albie
    Community Member

I just came to the Community with the same complaints - I HATE the new version. It is confusing, hard to use, and difficult to access as it constantly 1) asks for a password, and 2) doesn’t actually work to autofill on websites most of the time.

My biggest complaints:

• I can never find a search field when I want to look for a site name to get the login info for
    • Clicking the icon in the browser search bar window on my iPad Pro often results in nothing. Sometimes it opens the app (after I enter the password), but then my only option is to search for the site I was on to get my login info, or it offers the option to open a new webpage to enter the info — not helpful if I already have the page open and am, for example, on the page I want to be on.
    • Enter password…again…again…again. Why won’t it ask for my fingerprint or face? (I use only iPhone and iPad, not really a computer).
    • Mostly - it is confusing. Too many places to click to get to what used to be on the first screen.
  • Hello @albie! 👋

I've split your comment into a separate thread so that we can focus on the concerns that you've brought up. 🙂 I'll reply below:

I can never find a search field when I want to look for a site name to get the login info for

You can search for an item using 1Password on either your iPhone or iPad by following the steps in this guide: Search 1Password to find what you need

Clicking the icon in the browser search bar window on my iPad Pro often results in nothing. Sometimes it opens the app (after I enter the password), but then my only option is to search for the site I was on to get my login info, or it offers the option to open a new webpage to enter the info — not helpful if I already have the page open and am, for example, on the page I want to be on.

Are you using Safari or another browser? If you're using Safari then I suggest using 1Password for Safari: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

1Password for Safari will suggest your logins right on the webpage:

Enter password…again…again…again. Why won’t it ask for my fingerprint or face? (I use only iPhone and iPad, not really a computer).

We've recently released an update that includes some fixes for Face ID and Touch ID. Can you update to version 8.7.1 using this guide: How to keep 1Password up to date

Please also update to iOS 16.1 on both the iPhone and iPad: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

If you're still unable to use Face ID / Touch ID then can you tell me if this is when you use 1Password for Safari or when you unlock the main 1Password app itself?

-Dave

• albie
    albie
    Community Member

Thanks Dave! I’ve now updated both my devices to 1Password for iOS 8.9.7, and will pay attention to how things work - and post back if it is still confusing. I was using the version for iOS (I presume that’s what you meant?), and will have a look at the guide.

FWIW, I think if users have to read a how-to guide to figure out how to search, then the problem is with the user interface design, not with the user…but that’s just my ,02¢

Thank you.

• Juetec
    Juetec
    Community Member

Hello @dave and @albie
    Dave, first of all thank you for the reply to my post "is there any possibility to go back to version 7?"
    But we fully agree with Albie: "FWIW, I think if users have to read a how-to guide to figure out how to search, then the problem is with the user interface design, not with the user…".
    Nevertheless just installed the update for version 8 first, I guess released yesterday. It seems that the main problem with safari in iOS is solved. Now we will again try to organize our "Objects" screen. Trying again with version 8 😅.

• @albie and @Juetec

Can you tell me a little more about what you found confusing about the search tool? If you're using an iPad then search can be found in the sidebar:

I'd love to pass along your specific feedback about search to our product team. 🙂

-Dave

• albie
    albie
    Community Member

Yes - finding it! Too many screens now! I mostly use my iPad. I find the whole set of options on the left to be confusing, so I simply open my Vault, close the extra window on the left, and see my list. But there’s no Search option there….so I have to scroll a lot when I want to find something. I guess if the Autofill worked, this would be less of an issue. See the screen shot - this is what I use as my main screen — but I can’t search on it!! In the previous app version, I could both see all my entries plus search from the same screen.

• @albie

Thank you for the reply. You can reveal the sidebar, and the search button, by tapping on the button that I've pointed out with a red arrow below:

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• albie
    albie
    Community Member

Thanks. That does work — but it is an extra step, since I’ve intentionally closed that confusing sidebar (with tons of options I don’t need or use). It would be better to just add a search icon on the main page, without having to open the sidebar, like there used to be.

This discussion has been closed.