How do I exclude a specific subdomain so 1P does not suggest filling the stored password?

jjaco
jjaco
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a password stored for xxx.mysite.com, and want to keep this. But when on subdomain.mysite.com, I don't want to get the suggestion from 1PW in Safari. Is there a way to exclude this, like a blacklist of webpages where to not suggest anything, or better, not this password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:remove specific subdomain from websites

Comments

• Hi @jjaco,

Currently it isn't possible to prevent 1Password from offering to autofill a specific subdomain in the form of blacklisting. We do have a feature request logged for this on our end. While I cannot guarantee if/when this functionality will be added, I've added your interest to the feature request.

You can prevent 1Password from offering to autofill login fields when you are on particular websites by using the Hide on this Page feature, although this feature will only prevent 1Password from offering to autofill the login fields on the website for that particular browser session. Once you close and reopen your browser, you'd need to complete the Hide on this page steps below again:

1. Open the website/subdomain you don't want 1Password to offer to autofill
    2. Right click anywhere on the website
    3. Move your mouse cursor to the 1Password - Password Manager option in the menu
    4. Click Hide on this page

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

ref: IDEA-I-925

• jjaco
    jjaco
    Community Member

Hi Brendan, thanks for your answer. The hide for one session does not really help, it is easier to ignore the autofill suggestion then. So +1 for the feature request. :-)
    Best, Jens

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Please add my vote to this feature request, too. Different subdomains can have wildly different logins. The URI / URL matching should have an option to be much more strict: "only match exact subdomain", perhaps. For example, vault.bitwarden.com and community.bitwarden.com are two unique logins—of course.

But 1Password is unable to distinguish them, unlike ironically Bitwarden. Example screenshots:

Plenty of services offer both their application AND discussion on the same domain + TLD, but different subdomains. This feature would be a major UI improvement, rather than needing to parse logins every single time with the URL.

To be honest, I'm surprised this feature hasn't made it in yet in 2022: surely stricter auto-fill via optional subdomain (or other) filters is a win-win for security, UX, and UI.

Let's hope this feature is not stuck in a 2024+ backlog.

EDIT: woohoo, it has finally reached the 1Password Beta, so there's hope something might be coming later this year or early next.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/667124/#Comment_667124

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I'm using the Nightly builds and the beta browser plugin, and there was really some positive development in the last weeks or months with choosing the correct account for a given login. Previously, multiple logins were offered where only one was the only correct one, or favorited (but irrelevant) items were offered before better matching non-favorited items.

With some new configuration options that appeared in the last few betas or nightlies, I can tailor the matching so at least for me, all the subdomained items are now assigned correctly and irrelevant items not even offered any more.

New things to configure:

• in the item configuration for a URL:
    • in the browser plugin:
  • ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member

That is amazing to see, @Tertius3: thank you for the clear instructions, as well, for the latest builds.

I stumbled onto that thread just minutes before your post. This is a much-needed and much-appreciated feature.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hey @ikjadoon !

I'm also using beta builds in Windows 11 and Firefox and this feature is working fine.

Default behavior of 1Password suggestions:

Enable exact domain matching:

Suggestion behavior now:

I love this feature so far ... ❤️

• @Tertius3 @DenalB Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to show off what we've been working on! We would love to hear any other comments you have or any issues you might be running into with the nightly or beta builds. @ikjadoon @jjaco Let me know if using the nightly or beta build interests you or if you need any assistance to get them up and running. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

• vidario
    vidario
    Community Member

Any chance of having some additional options for this autofill? For example "starts with"

• Hey @vidario,

I have passed your request onto our product team for consideration.

Thank you for your feedback!

ref: PB-30181361

This discussion has been closed.