How does it know?

rainwave2375
rainwave2375
Community Member

Hello All

I have always wondered this. When I do a fresh reset/delete on my Mac (or IOS device) 1 password magically knows which account to sign into? Lucky I have never given my older devices to someone else. But If I did, and the new user used 1password as well, would my accounts show? Where does 1password save those memories?

Josh :)

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @rainwave2375! 👋

The account suggestion that you're seeing in the 1Password app on your Mac is being shown because the 1Password app has found a 1Password account in your iCloud Keychain. In order to make it easier to sign into your 1Password account on your Apple devices 1Password will store an encrypted copy of the equivalent of your Emergency Kit in the iCloud Keychain.

The account suggestions will only show up if you're signed into your Apple account on your Mac and have enabled iCloud Keychain. If you do give away your Mac in the future then I suggest following Apple's instructions to wipe your Mac: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• rainwave2375
    rainwave2375
    Community Member

That does help. Thank you very much!!

• @rainwave2375

I'm happy that I was able to answer your question. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.