Removal of scroll handle in 1P8 on Android

Options
alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member

Hi

I apologise in advance as I seem to be complaining a lot lately, but it seems that with v8 a lot of useful features have been taken away. One of these is the scroll “handle” when looking for an item when there are a lot of items in the list.

What used to happen is that I would start scrolling with a flick of the thumb and then a scroll handle would appear on the right. I could “grab” that handle with my thumb and pull it down the screen to get to the general area of the required item quickly and with one swipe.

Now, however, that handle seems to be gone, so now I have to tire out my already arthritic thumb by scrolling multiple times to get to the required item, which could require dozens of swipes if it’s near the end of the list. It’s basically swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe … for evermore. Any chance that the “handle” will be brought back, please? Or am I missing some setting somewhere that would activate it?

Thanks

Alex

1Password Version: 8.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13.0
Browser:_ Samsung Internet

Comments

• Hi @alexmidd, thanks for your feedback! It is always appreciated.

While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, this is a feature we are interested in adding to 1Password 8 for Android.

ref: dev/core/core#16907

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for that. I am, however, a little confused as to why some of these aids to navigation have been removed in the first place, as they are features of many apps that have been around for quite some time. They increase the user-friendliness of the apps, especially for us older and less dextrous people, and I’m a little disappointed that such a feature gets overlooked, maybe because it’s not something that younger people feel that they need (although I’d have thought that one swipe instead of multiple swipes would be of benefit to anyone). That’s just my feeling on it, and it’s not the only “usability” feature that seems to have been removed. That’s just my two pennorth (or two cents worth in North American 😉) on it.

Alex

• Great question @alexmidd. From my understanding for the scroll bar, the way this was previously implemented in 1Password 7 for Android could not be directly ported over to 1Password 8. Mimicking it's previous implementation results in a very small scroll bar that's quite difficult to interact with, especially on curved screens. Due to this, we're looking into different approaches that should yield better results but requires more engineering time.

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks for explaining that.

I guess these are minor things but they do affect the ease of use somewhat. I do think that 1P7 was the best implementation so far though so maybe we have been spoiled by that.

• Thanks for your feedback on that. I can definitely understand where you're coming from on this. There are features of 1Password 7 I enjoy and miss as well, but seeing how the 1Password 8 apps set us up for the future and what's in the pipeline is what really excites me.

This discussion has been closed.