1Password locks secure entry, causing glitches with Alfred, Witch, and Karabiner-Elements

Options
JimmyTheSaint
JimmyTheSaint
Community Member
edited November 2022 in Mac

This problem has been going on for a few months, and I think I've finally pinpointed it to 1Password.. Sometimes, the key combinations programmed to trigger my Alfred Snippets (e.g., ! ! 2 without the spaces) fail to execute the snippet. When I open Alfred to check on the error, I see the message, "1Password seems to be preventing text expansion by locking secure entry." The only way out of this that I can find is to quit 1Password from its menu bar item.

The problem causes obtrusive glitches with Witch. I use cmd-tab to trigger Witch's app switcher instead of macOS's, but when the glitch is in effect, macOS's app switcher responds to the cmd-tab until I quit out of 1Password as above.

In a related issue, I use Karabiner-Elements as a launcher to program many key combinations to switch apps directly and do other things. If the focus is in one of 1Password's text entry fields, all my Karabiner key combos get locked out until I manually click somewhere outside a 1Password text entry field. It's a pain because the focus on the 1Password text field isn't always obvious, then once I discover it, I have to leave the keyboard and go out to the mouse/trackpad to get my launcher back.

It seems somehow 1Password is doing something deep to intercept keystrokes. In any case, can something be done to make 1Password lower its priority over keyboard control, or whatever it's doing? None of the other utility programs I use cause this kind of glitch.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @JimmyTheSaint! 👋

Secure Input is part of macOS and is used by 1Password to make sure that what you type into 1Password is secure and won't be intercepted by other applications. So 1Password isn't intercepting keystrokes, it's enabling a built-in macOS security tool to prevent other applications from intercepting keystrokes while you're tying into 1Password and this is why the other app's functionality doesn't work while Secure Input is enabled.

You mentioned that this issue occurs when you're focused on a text field in 1Password. Are you editing an item in 1Password or entering your account password into the lock screen when this happens? Or does 1Password enable Secure Input in other places as well?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    Options

Setting aside the related issue I mentioned, here's the main problem in more detail. 1Password is open because I've used it in an ordinary way. After doing lots of stuff, maybe minutes or hours later (I haven't yet tracked that)--and perhaps even across lid closings--I go to use Alfred's snippets feature, which automatically changes designated patterns of typed text into the specific string associated with that typed pattern. In other words, Snippets are shortcuts for frequently typed text. When I type the Snippet's trigger, nothing happens, and opening the Alfred app, I see the message, "1Password seems to be preventing text expansion by locking secure entry." Other utilities like Witch and Karabiner-Elements also stop responding properly. The culprit is always 1Password locking this Secure Input resource, and I have no other app that interferes with those frequently used utilities in this way.

Because this lock out happens well after I've used 1Password, I'm guessing that 1Password holds onto a system resource past the time it should be doing that. In fact, I can't even cause this lock out to happen on purpose: 1Password and the other apps normally just automagically get along. It's just that sometimes 1Password seems to fail to release the system resource on its own (I would think it would at least time out), and the only way out of the glitch is to quit 1Password from its menu bar item. When this situation occurs, 1Password's menu bar icon usually (or always) shows a little lock (or something) at its bottom right.

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up: it just happened again: after the lid was closed for a while the computer resumed to a lock out situation, and that's definitely a little lock on 1Password's menu bar icon. Now that I think about, it seems this glitch has only ever happened after resuming, though I can't swear to that. I mean, I've never seen this lock icon while looking stuff up in the 1Password app, or even after that when I switch to other apps. It seems, I think, it's always been after some subsequent lid closing and resume.

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Oh, wait, it looks like the lock on the icon doesn't necessarily mean the glitch is in effect. Whenever the glitch is in effect, the lock on the icon is there, but not vice versa.

• @JimmyTheSaint

Thank you for the additional details. Our developers are investigating edge cases where 1Password may not disable Secure Input quickly enough (or may enable it unnecessarily) and it sounds like you may be affected by one of these edge cases. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#10714

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

OK, I've sent it per your instructions. The glitch wasn't currently in effect at the time I generated the report. If I should send another one while the glitch is in effect, please let me know.

• @JimmyTheSaint

Thank you, I've located your support ticket and I see that my colleague has replied. I recommend continuing the conversation over email and I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort. 🙂

-Dave

ref: BEZ-69457-158

This discussion has been closed.