I cant make heads or tails how to use this program!

Options
tomseeley
tomseeley
Community Member

I just installed it on windows and I'm completely lost. Why can't i find a simple user manual? When I click help it sends me to a single page on managing my account. I'm just trying to learn how to use the **** pgm at all!

Im in Win 10 and firefox. I did add the Firefox browser extension, but I don't know what to do to make 1p show up on the top of my screen like the RF icon does.

I imported my passwords but all I see is a list. I can't see the icons on screen like I can in roboform.

More importantly, when I log out of RF and click on a password in 1pw it doesn't fill the login screen. All I get is the opportunity to go back to RF and log in that way.

How do I put a link on my browser taskbar like I can with RF, or on my desktop, so I can get to 1p without having to type something in a url or browser search window?

This is getting off to a very bad start for me!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win 10
Browser:_ firefox

Comments

• Hello @tomseeley

Thanks for contacting us. My name is Jermaine and I'm a member of the 1Password Support team. I'm really sorry you're running into these issues with 1Password, happy to help you today.

You mentioned

Im in Win 10 and firefox. I did add the Firefox browser extension, but I don't know what to do to make 1p show up on the top of my screen like the RF icon does.

It sounds like you are referring to the 1Password icon in the toolbar. As a first step, we need to check 1Password in the browser is up to date. Follow this guide on How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser.

If 1Password is installed in your Firefox browser and is up to date, but you still don’t see it in your Firefox browser’s toolbar, you can customize the toolbar to make it visible. Follow this guide to make the 1Password icon in your Firefox browser's toolbar visible.

You mentioned here

I imported my passwords but all I see is a list. I can't see the icons on screen like I can in roboform.

How did you export your data from Roboform? Was it exported into a CSV format?

I have included a guide on how to move your data from RoboForm to 1Password. Try the steps provided and let us know if you encounter issues at any point.

You also mentioned here

More importantly, when I log out of RF and click on a password in 1pw it doesn't fill the login screen. All I get is the opportunity to go back to RF and log in that way.

Once 1Password in the browser is visible and working, I'd advise to make 1Password the default password manager, to avoid any conflict. Follow this guide to turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

With 1Password as the default password manager, this guide will help you Get started with 1Password in your browser. It goes through how to save and fill passwords and much more. 😀

In your last question you asked

How do I put a link on my browser taskbar like I can with RF, or on my desktop, so I can get to 1p without having to type something in a url or browser search window?

With 1Password visible and running, you can click on the 1Password icon in the top right side in the toolbar to open 1Password directly.

As you use Windows, if you use the 1Password for Windows app, I have also provided a guide on Getting to know 1Password for Windows.

I do hope I have addressed your concerns to your satisfaction, if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Also if you ever need to discuss any details of your account, send an email to us directly at support+forum@1password.com, so we can discuss these details privately.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Jermaine

• tomseeley
    tomseeley
    Community Member
    Options

Jermaine, this is great. Thank you for such a detailed attempt to help me. I know I'm not a customer yet, so I understand I'm not entitled to a lot of your (plural) time, but I'd like to reply to much of this to see if I can keep getting 1P to work the way I think it's supposed to. I can't figure how to edit the text of the msg you sent, so this will be cumbersome. I'll try to explain which parts of your msg I'm replying to as I go. And I won't try to cover it all here.

1st topic was adding the 1P icon to the FF toolbar at the upper right corner. I haven't managed to make this work yet but I have pinned the 1P shortcut to my taskbar so I can start 1P this way.

2nd topic: keeping things up to date. I've verified that FF is up to date v 106.0.6 64-bit. 1P for Windows v 8.9.8. I downloaded and installed 1PasswordSetup-latest.exe. Win 10 Home itself v 10.0.19045 Build 19045. FF 1P browser extension v 2.3.8.

3rd topic: appearance on 1P screeen. I'm ok with this now. The 2nd time I launched it was more what I expected and hoped for. I did use Roboform to make a csv file, and I did import it successfully into 1P. My pblm now is that passwords I've imported that I know did work how I want them to in RF are not working the same way in 1P. Next topic addresses that.

4th topic: overriding RF. I have disabled (not uninstalled or removed) the FF RF extension. This does omit the auto-fill prompts I was getting from RF when I try to launch a password in 1P that I know did work right in RF. But the passwords still aren't working right in 1P. I think I still need help with auto fill on or off in FF or 1P or something.

5th topic: In the help docs you sent me links for, one of them How to keep p up to date in your browser. When I launched this link, the top of the 1st screen says "1P is not installed in your browser. Install it now." The part I italicized is a link in that doc. When I click that, I get the FF add-ons page, which does say that the FF 1P extension is installed! All I could do at that page is click the FF button that would remove it! So this is a case where 1P isn't showing me something I know is true. I'm stuck on this one at this point.

New topic: What do I do in 1P to simply launch any password with just one click, or one double click? I've tried some things and all I seem to be able to do is display a page of data about a password, and then click "open and fill" on that page. That seems cumbersome to me. Is there a simpler way to do it with my mouse, which was all I ever needed to do in RF?

New topic: No matter how I select a password in 1P and try to launch it, all it does is get me to the login page for whatever I'm trying to log into (e.g., my Visa account). In RF, I know this password (which I have successfully imported into 1P, or so I thouhgt) went straight to this login page, filled the name and password blanks, and logged me into Visa all with one click on the password name in RF. Why can't I do that in 1P? I know some of my RF passwords still require me to click RF twice and if that's how that login page for that app works, fine. But I can't get 1P to do anything yet except get me to the app's login page.

New topic: I installed 1P yesterday from 1PasswordSetup-latest.exe by downloading it and then double clicking the file name in windows. It installed itself immediately, without prompting me "install for just you or for all users". I had been alerted by another of your coworkers it would do that, and I knew I needed to choose "all users" since my wife and I both use the same desktop computer and we have completely separate accounts (I am the windows admin, she is a ltd user) and it's essential that 1P work seamlessly and identically for both of us signed on separately as ourselves. I don't know what I've got installed yet. I'm premature here, a little, since I haven't actually watched her log in and try to access 1P, but I wanted you to know it may not have been installed how I need it to be.

Final new topic: Given how I've explained how I installed 1P, please explain what you mean by "1Password for Windows app". All I can do now is launch whatever I've installed by clicking on the 1P shortcut I've pinned to the taskbar. So I don't know if anything you say about a "windows app" is relevant to what I'm do ing or not!

• tomseeley
    tomseeley
    Community Member
    Options

Another comment re not seeing the 1P icon in my FF toolbar. Even though I can start 1P using the shortcut I've pinned to my taskbar, apparently I still have to add the 1P icon to the FF toolbar because whenever I try to do anything else, 1P just tells me to click on the icon in the browser's toolbar! Well, it ain't there and I can't get it there!

When I launch the help file "If you don't see the 1P icon in your browser's toolbar" right at the top it says 1P is not installed in your browser. Install it now. Well I know the FF 1P extension IS installed in FF. FF's add-ons page says so.

When I read the Use Quick Access part of Get to know 1P for Windows, the first paragraph says "right-click the 1P icon in the notification area..." There is no 1P icon anywhere on my screen! And I have no idea what you mean by "notification area".

It's very frustrating to try to implement good helpful instructions that in effect say "click this and you'll see that" and when I click "this" I don't see "that" at all. The screens the help say I'll see when I follow the instructions simply do not appear on my monitor at all! So far, this is the situation when I try to get the 1P icon onto my FF toolbar. Clicking FF as instructed simply does not cause the screens shown in the help instructions to appear at all, so there's no way I can drag any icon anywhere! Arrgghh...

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello,
    In Firefox: Tools > Settings > Privacy and Security > Logins and Passwords,
    Do you see this information :

• @tomseeley

If you've only started using 1Password in the last few days or weeks, I'd suggest emailing support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread. You'll receive an auto-reply from BitBot containing a conversation number, which looks like [#ABC-12345-123]. Post that conversation number here, and I'll direct your message to the most appropriate team to help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.