Feature request: QR code for WiFi setup

encacz
encacz
Community Member

Hi,
it's not a new feature request, but all previous discussions are already closed:

https://1password.community/discussion/82070/feature-request-wifi-qr-code-display
https://1password.community/discussion/117784/feature-request-generate-qr-code-image-for-wifi
https://1password.community/discussion/107880/suggestion-wifi-qr-code-in-wireless-router-item

I think the request is still valid and would be useful.
I know that there are workarounds, but they are not safe (paste WiFi credentials to some 3rd party website to generate qr code) or too laborious.
In fact the absence of QR code for WiFi motivate people to use simple and short passwords, because they can be easily typed manually to guests devices. It goes against the basic idea of your service - to make it easier for people to use secure passwords.

I hope we will see this feature in the application soon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @encacz

I'll add a +1 to that feature request for you. I use Android's built-in ability to generate QR codes for Wi-Fi passwords quite a bit and I can see how that would be helpful when applied to 1Password.

If you haven't already tried it, you can also Securely share 1Password items with anyone, even if they're not using 1Password. That generates a link (valid one time, or for a time window you specify, up to 7 days) that you can send to someone. If you want, you can limit the link to only be useable by the email address(es) you choose. This works with any of your 1Password items, not just Wi-Fi passwords. Give it a go some time and let me know how you find it. :)

— Grey

ref: IDEA-I-268

• encacz
    encacz
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P
    thanks for the reaction.

I know the "share 1Password item" feature and I use it in some cases.
    But if somebody visit me and I want to give him access to internet via WiFi, then it does not help to share with him the WiFi credentials via this feature. He need to connect to WiFi to be able to get these shared WiFi credentials. We are in the loop.

• @encacz

You're welcome! I can see how something like a QR code would be helpful in cases where the person you're sharing something with is offline, and that's what that feature request mentions. I can't make any promises about if or when that feature will come to 1Password, but our Product team does routinely monitor our feature requests. Keep an eye on the 1Password release notes to see what's new as it updates: 1Password Releases.

• looselyrigorous
    looselyrigorous
    Community Member

Hey @GreyM1P, you can add a +1 for me as well.

Features in Android are very inconsistent between phone brands and even models within them. In my case, I have to be connected to the SSID whose password I want to share. As luck would have it, I run internal and guest SSID's both at home and work, so whenever I want to give access to guests I have to hop back and forth between SSID's, which is very annoying.

As mentioned by @encacz sharing the password via a hyperlink is a bit of a chicken and egg problem, as some people might not have a data plan, or are using a tablet without cellular service support.

Functionality aside, I will also repeat the argument that it is best to keep credentials where they're secure. I've read about workarounds like generating the QR code picture and embedding it in a secure note, but it's an inelegant solution at best.

I hope this feature is pulled out of the back burner at some point 🙂

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

I would love this feature built into 1Password! +1

This discussion has been closed.