Features Missing From 1Password 8

Options

Notable features missing:

1) The ability to re-arrange/re-organize fields and sections.
2) Unable to change what kind of field a field is (e.g., changing a "text" field to a "password" field)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 80904006
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.5.x
Browser:_ All

Comments

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to mention if it could be possible to modify the names of attached files.

• gladfrauseverely
    gladfrauseverely
    Community Member
    Options

vote up. Would like to see same abilities as mentioned above. Getting really close to reverting or going to a competitor.

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• scottalucas
    scottalucas
    Community Member
    Options

Export by vault. Or at least add the vault field into the .csv export so the vault can be filtered by hand.

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

@nimvio exactly the two things I am waiting for to be fully functional in v8, before moving on from v7.

@gladfrauseverely I think people just got tired to vote up pretty much the same thing. These two things seems were mentioned before official release of v8... long time ago that is.

In the thread called "v8 Ability to reorder/arrange fields" @dteare himself put ++ for rearranging fields. This was the moment when I pretty much completely stopped following the blogs, just occasionally returning if I get mentions or thread notifications.

Speaking of rearranging sections - indeed that is something I wish would be added to 1Password in general (to v8, since v7 is apparently not updated anymore in terms of features). *This is pretty much the only feature I wish v7 would of have.

Have a feeling that it's not only me who just stoped putting plusses for the same things asked to be added in different threads.

Guess these are quite challenging things to code indeed and this is the main reason why these (hopefully both) features are still cooking for v8 and will be released in the near future.

I wish v8 gets these feature upgrades when macOS Ventura is released (next month or latest November that is). Fingers crossed.

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member
    Options

I’m very disappointed and back to v7 too. For me several key features are missing in v8.
    To be honest: has there been any investigation or survey under users what they use/like in v7? I have the strong impression that some commercial design person just decided what looked nicer and/or a developer added features that seemed nice. I haven’t yet found any new feature in v8 that I was waiting for, not being a design appreciateing guy 😜

Missing in iOS:
    1. Search in titles only
    2. Moving fields within an item
    3. Option to “Ask for master password” every day or other intervals than “2 weeks” or “30 days”

Missing in Windows:
    1. When setting clicking on icon to “menu”, left click doesn’t do anything. I have to click right.
    2. The password generator has disappeared from the menu

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @gladfrauseverely , @IR69 , @Ivan_K , and @ErtjeTheFreeze for voting up this idea with me, and for adding your great feedback, as well! Fingers crossed

• Murrays
    Murrays
    Community Member
    Options

=1 for me - I have just realised this 'golden' new version is missing basic functionality - very frustrating!

• Hey @nimvio / @gladfrauseverely / @IR69 / @ErtjeTheFreeze / @Murrays

Thank you all for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Regarding the ability to re-arrange/re-organize fields and sections, we do currently have an internal feature request opened for this. Our team is considering implementing this feature but I can't make any promises as we don't have anything to share just yet. I'll add all of your comments and upvotes to this request to further highlight user interest.

As for the ability to change a field type, we also have a feature request opened for this where I'll add your voices. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-372
    ref: IDEA-I-530

• AliH1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

@ErtjeTheFreeze

I'll be happy to address some of the additional missing features you mentioned in your post.

Missing in iOS:

1. Search in titles only

Could you tell me a little more about this? I'll be happy to submit a feature request on your behalf if you could provide me with some additional details.

1. Moving fields within an item

Addressed in my reply above 👍

1. Option to “Ask for master password” every day or other intervals than “2 weeks” or “30 days”

While I can't make any promises as to if or when this would be implemented, I've gone ahead and filed a feature request to add additional options for this setting.

Missing in Windows:

1. When setting clicking on icon to “menu”, left click doesn’t do anything. I have to click right.

We greatly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I'm noticing the same behavior and have filed an internal issue for our developers to investigate this further.

1. The password generator has disappeared from the menu

The password generator in 1Password 8 is only available through editing or creating an item. It will appear once the password field is selected > Create a New Password. We currently have an internal request opened to add an item-independent password generator. I'll be also add your voice here to show our developers that there is interest in this feature.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#13538
    ref: IDEA-I-298
    ref: IDEA-I-1796

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

@AliH1P "considering implementing" and "ability to re-arange fields" in one sentence for sure is not something all the users who have been asking to add this feature to v8 since beta tests want to hear.

I hope this is just a wrong wording used.

If 1Password team really just considers implementing what was always there in v6-v7 and what was +++ in various threads for many months, an absolutely must have feature... Than this is a big concern indeed, since... Where is 1Password really going?

It is interesting to see how in iOS app market 1Password score has been on decline for many many months now.

1Password 8 has now 3.0 / 5 score in German App Store market. Do you guys really think that new users will be choosing it instead of many many other options with 4.7 / 5 and even higher? I remember when 1Password had a score of around 4.8 or so... At the moment - 1Password 8 has the lowest score in App Store for password managers. This is unbelievable.

4.8 / 5.0 score:
    SecureSafe - 19k ratings
    Dashline - 8,9k ratings
    Keeper Password Manager - 1.7k ratings
    SafeInCloud: 947 ratings

4.7 / 5.0 score:
    Safe+ - 3.6k ratings
    mSecure Password Manager - 2.6k ratings
    Strongbox - 1.8k ratings
    Password Safe and Manager - 1.7k ratings
    KeePassium - 1.2k ratings
    S-Trust - 1k ratings
    Bitwarden - 936 ratings

Avira Password Manager - 1.4k ratings 4.6 / 5.0
    LastPass Password Manager - 2.5k ratings - 4.4 / 5.0
    Norton Password Manager - 1.3k ratings 4.4 / 5.0
    Enpass - 2.7k rarings - 4.3 / 5.0
    1Password 8 - 328 ratings - 3.0 / 5.0

!!!THIS IS THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST!!!

1Password 7 had a score of around 4.4 / 5.0, but... it is not possible to find it on the App Store anymore. I am not even sure how I will be able to install it on a new phone. Ridiculous!

@dteare You guys are shooting yourself in the foot.

People who post on these forums are not just regular users. They are pretty much 1Password evangelists, who have been recommending your service to colleagues, workers and simply implementing it in organisations when it comes to IT support (myself included).

Guess 1Password already makes more than enough money that top management does not care anymore about the market share, new users... or old users leaving to other solutions.

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your reply, but I'm very unsatisfied with it.
    These should not be "feature requests", because this functionality was there in v7 and is now stolen from the users! It's unacceptable that users have to "vote up" features that exist in v7.
    Strange thing is, that YOU are asking ME to tell more about great functions that WERE in v7. But okay, let's go.

Once upon a time there was a nice creature called Seven, until the Great King decided to kill it and replace it with creature Eight. The Kings' subjects weren't very happy with Eight, but the Kings' advisors assured the King that Eight was awesome and that all his subjects liked it a lot.
    What I mean with this story is: who decided that v8 should look this way and which functionality should be dropped? If there is some user advisory board, it certainly is not representative.

About specific features I mentioned:

Missing in iOS:
    1. Search in titles only
    in V7 you could choose where to search:

in v8 it first only searches in titles. If the string is not in the title, you have to scroll down the entire list, select "Show all matching items" and than again scroll down the entire list to finally find what you are looking for.
    2. Moving fields within an item
    This also mentioned by community member @nimvio who started this thread.
    in v7 you could move fields of an item up and down, in v8 not anymore.
    For example: if you look at an Identity item, there are default fields like "website", "ICQ", "skype", etc. If I would like to have "skype" at the top, in v7 I can move that field up in Edit-mode. This is specifically useful if you have added several fields with customized titles which you want to reorganize.

Missing in Windows:
    2. The password generator has disappeared from the menu
    in v7 if you clicked on the 1P tray icon, there was an option to get a separate password generator. I often have to generate temporary passwords for users, which I DON'T want to add to my 1P vaults. That's what I used this generator for. Yes, there are lots of other applications and sites which can do this, but I wanted to rely on a trustworthy application, so I was glad that I could use the 1P generator for this.

Greetings,
    Rene

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

@AliH1P

Regarding the ability to re-arrange/re-organize fields and sections, we do currently have an internal feature request opened for this. Our team is considering implementing this feature

This is your template text for any feature that's been asked by the community.

Given the fact that rearranging fields have been mentioned since the very first release of the v8 early access, given the fact that exactly 1 year later nothing more than the standard template text is given as answer, I assume that this functionality will just not be implemented.
    Like any other of the many many not important enough functionalities that will never be implemented as well.

Because of this, I cannot recommend 1Password to anybody else, because this is a serious flaw. And because of this, I still look for other password managers - I'm just not completely satisfied with 1Password.

Although @dteare wrote half a year ago that he is missing this functionality as well, and although it has been answered this functionality is being given special attention, absolutely nothing has been actually changed in your communication, so this is the sign for me that there isn't actually anything to expect for this. So it's certainly not this year, and probably not next year, but next year I may use a different password manager, for example one that is less expensive.

• AliH1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hey @Tertius3 / @Ivan_K / @ErtjeTheFreeze

Thank you for your replies. Your voices are definitely being heard, I apologize if my initial wording may have been unclear or misleading.

The ability to re-order fields/sections is on our roadmap but we don't have a timeline to share as to when it will be implemented. I understand this may sound like a templated response, but this is the current status. For some further context, this feature was not included with the initial release of 1Password 8 in an attempt to simplify things. The community feedback we received afterwards showed us that this is an important feature for many of our users and now we're working on bringing it to 1Password 8.

We'll be sure to provide an update as soon as we have more news to share.

@ErtjeTheFreeze

These should not be "feature requests", because this functionality was there in v7 and is now stolen from the users! It's unacceptable that users have to "vote up" features that exist in v7.

I understand your frustration. However, not every feature that was in 1Password 7 was included in 1Password 8. Certain features were not included deliberately due to design decisions. With that said, we're continuously making improvements to 1Password 8. Feature requests are one way of collecting community feedback. In cases like the reordering of fields, we can see that the community really wanted this feature so we're working on implementing it in 1Password 8.

Regarding the ability to choose where to search on iOS, I've gone ahead and filed a feature request on your behalf. I also appreciate you sharing your use case for the item-independent password generator. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along.

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-1906

• kary
    kary
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is hard to manage the password now in 1Password8. I can't insert a row, if I missing a row, I need delete all and re-enter the content.

This discussion has been closed.