Can I set my master password to not expire?

Options
aapffel
aapffel
Community Member

I just got prompted that my Master Password is about to expire. Do I need to change it every 30days?
Can I change this expiration time or turn it off

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Can I set my master password to not expire?

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello,
    I never got a prompt to change the master password.
    Unless there is a risk that this master password will be known by unauthorized people or if your device is infected, I see no need to change it.

On my smartphone, I unlock 1Password by fingerprint but I have to enter my main password after an adjustable delay (never, 2 weeks or 30 days).

See also : https://support.1password.com/change-account-password/

• Hello @aapffel,

Thanks for your question. There is no setting or need to change your account password on a recurring basis.

As @Ekalb mentioned (thanks), when using biometrics, by default we do ask that you re-enter your account password at regular intervals. This setting can be adjusted as follows:

• In Windows - Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Security > Unlock > Require Password
    • In iOS - Tap the account icon in the upper left corner > Settings > Security > Unlock > Require Password

If you decide to choose never, we recommend ensuring that you save a copy of your Emergency Kit and record your password on it, so that you always have access to your account. If you lose your Secret Key or account password, we cannot restore it for you or help you recover your account.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If the above is not what you were referring to, could you let us know where/how you were prompted to change the account password so we can investigate further? For example, was this in the 1Password 8 apps? If possible, a screenshot would be helpful: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org - When ending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information such as the account password itself or your Secret Key.

Looking forward to your reply.

This discussion has been closed.