1PW8 PIN Code

Comments

• virgofx
    virgofx
    Community Member

1PW team - can we please get an update. It’s been months … As others have mentioned this feature is non-negotiable, and should be of the highest priority as the IOS app is unusable without this!

• harrycaul
    harrycaul
    Community Member

+1 sticking with 1P7 until this feature is available.

• pete16
    pete16
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I’ve just signed in and reset my forum password to post here and add my +1 comment backing up every comment from above. Even if you’re not in Canada rugged up and unrecognisable. Sunglasses outdoors = no faceID. my wife who won’t use faceID and a multitude of organisations who won’t allow it. GET ON THIS dev team and fix this omission. Thankyou :)

• chopps
    chopps
    Community Member

Will be looking around for new app, and I've been a very long time user. PIN code is requirement. Hearing you are so backlogged that you can't offer ETAs just makes me want to make a switch sooner.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

Any updates 1PW Team? Fielding lots of q's from our customers about when the PIN code will be back.

• petermcm
    petermcm
    Community Member

Yes their silence on such a requested return of a feature is deafening.
    Without customers their business fails. Without timely responses and actions businesses fail too.
    Products with "unusable" forced protocols are also doomed to fail.
    Listen & Act

• munoo
    munoo
    Community Member

Team 1PW please add pin code feature.

• munoo
    munoo
    Community Member

+1

• munoo
    munoo
    Community Member

Going back to 1PW 7

• munoo
    munoo
    Community Member

Please Re-Instate the Pin.

• anandp
    anandp
    Community Member

My depth sensor has just broke and hence faceID has been disabled. It really is a pain to have to type in the master password. But now I know I can revert to v7, i'll do that until I know it's sorted in v8.

• nysmitty
    nysmitty
    Community Member

@Dave_1P to answer your question about why anyone wouldn’t want to use Face ID, all biometric are extremely insecure. As mentioned by @RobTX all it takes is a slip of a roofie at a bar and my enter life can get stolen.

Honestly considering 1Password is supposed to be the highest standard of security, I’m surprised you all even allow that feature, let alone have removed the pin access.

It’s a shame that new versions of apps have to make regressions due to frankly naive oversights like the one embodied by the puzzled nature of your “why wouldn’t you want to enable TouchID or FaceID” question

• nysmitty
    nysmitty
    Community Member

Quite a major and naive oversight, considering you should be operating at the highest levels of security concerns. FaceID should be something you at least warn users is risky (ie simple slip of a roofie in your drink is all it takes to lose everything).

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and suggestions! I've passed along everyone's comments and use cases to the product team. 🙂

For the moment, if using biometric unlock doesn't fit your personal threat model, then I recommend choosing a secure and memorable account password that is easy to type in: How to choose a good 1Password account password

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-1222

• petermcm
    petermcm
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Very poor Dave and 1P
    Zero seem to be given to your user's requests
    Not happy

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022

I can say that the product team takes seriously all of the feedback that my colleagues and I, on the support team, pass along on your behalf. You can see the constant changes that we’re making to the app as a result of folks reporting issues and voicing feedback in our release notes: 1Password for iOS Releases

One example from the release notes:

* You can now choose how often your account password is required when you unlock with Face ID or Touch ID.

1Password 8 originally required that users enter their account password into the app once every two weeks (even if biometric unlock was enabled). We initially thought that this struck a good balance between convenience and the concern that users would forget their password if they didn’t use it frequently enough. Feedback on this community forum (and via other channels) convinced the team to add “30 Day” and “Never” options. We listened to the feedback that we were hearing and we acted on it.

Adding PIN code unlock to 1Password is something that the team knows is very important to many people and it's something that we are continuing to actively discuss internally. However, we don’t pre-announce features or give ETAs in order to avoid disappointing people if plans change or unexpected delays occur. I know that this can be frustrating and I'll voice your feedback about our process for feature requests to the team. We can certainly improve how this process works in the future.

All that to say, the team is closely listening to all of your feedback even when changes based on that feedback sometimes seem like they don’t come quickly enough. Please keep the feedback coming. 😊

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2091

• petermcm
    petermcm
    Community Member

Well then they are VERY slow at implementing this VERY agreed upon feature requirement. Still very poor. Not impresses.

• uwillenbacher
    uwillenbacher
    Community Member

Dave_1P suggested “For the moment, if using biometric unlock doesn't fit your personal threat model, then I recommend choosing a secure and memorable account password that is easy to type” and I thus could be easily “cracked”? IMHO The whole point of using 1Password is not using an “easy to type password”- I, for one, like to add my vote to "listen to the users and please bring the Passcode back"...

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022

@uwillenbacher

I recommended a secure and memorable account password. 🙂 Since your account information is protected using not only your account password but a 34-character Secret Key as well, your account password can be something that is easy to remember and easy to type: How to choose a good 1Password account password

For example unending-birdie-madrigal-will is a secure password that is easier to type in than something like NN5UjUMVMfh,10.Hkfenat]:yAW=*Te_4M+ZX7j.

That being said, I've added your feedback to the internal conversation. I completely understand the need that some users have for a PIN code and why using biometric unlock isn't an option for them.

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022

@SecretSquirrel

You're right that "pumpkin" is not a secure password and that isn't what I was recommending. I'm sorry for being unclear, what I meant was that something like unending-birdie-madrigal-will (a random collection of words generated by our password generator) would be both secure and easier to type in than a longer password composed of random numbers and symbols. I've updated my post above to prevent others from misunderstanding. 🙂

I know that this won't work for everyone and I'd like to thank everyone again for their feedback about PIN Code unlock and for sharing why PIN Code unlock is needed for your workflows.

-Dave

• winstonion
    winstonion
    Community Member

Agree, @Dave_1P, a random collection of words separated by delimiter can be secure, but it needs to be long and typing enough characters to maintain security really sucks. Either you compromise availability or security with no great in-between.

A pin number is nice because you still get max security PW but also a convenient option for a specific device without also exposing yourself to physical attacks... i.e corrupt police forcing your finger unlock your phone.

Please keep pushing for "use device bpin" feature in v8. I'm too lazy to downgrade to 7.

• munoo
    munoo
    Community Member

Please Re-Instate the Pin.

• virgofx
    virgofx
    Community Member

Dave, this is a huge lapse for core tech users who are the primary market drivers in our niches. Why not simply add this feature back? We get it, under the hood, all this passwordless/bio pressure… honestly the community is just as smart. We don’t need any divergent responses such as working on it or considering it. You dropped the ball to promote a different agenda. Who cares. Take a quick sprint with 1-2 devs, add phone pin back, and close out the like three highest trending forum threads and call it a day. What’s the issue ?

• petermcm
    petermcm
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Perfectly put Virgofx

Just Do It Dave! (Stop stalling, even add a warning if you must of "not recommended" Just Do It).
    Nike will be proud of you also then.

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

I will not use 1Password 8 until the pincode is brought back. I cannot believe that it has to take some much feedback for 1Password to do this.

This discussion has been closed.