Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Comments

• snilard
    snilard
    Community Member

Dears, this is really unacceptable bug in such expensive software as 1Password. The version 8 is full of such small but very annoying quirks. Version 7 was way better in many aspects. You are lucky that I don't have time to switch to some other password manager.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

It's about time to stop answering with the same phrases over and over again. This behavior shows a lack of respect for your non US customers.

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member

I would just like to add my voice here as well.

I've just updated to 1Password 8 โ€”ย finally โ€”ย and immediately on opening the app, the bizarre dates just hit you right between the eyes.

No but seriously, it means an extra few seconds of mental processing every time your eyes come across a date, which has a significant impact on UX.

• ShaneB
    ShaneB
    Community Member

Yes - and I add my voice to this.
    Inconsistent date format is marginally worse than forcing us to use a date format used in only two (2) countries. At very least, use a non-ambiguous format: MMM DD YYYY.

• marekn
    marekn
    Community Member

1Password 8.9.8 (and previous versions) on MacOS doesn't display date and time according to the System Preferences.
    I am using "English" language as preferred one, with "Poland" Region. In such configuration Date in the system is being displayed as DD/MM/YYYY and time is being displayed as HH:MM in 24-hour format.

Unfortunately 1Password still displays date as M/D/YYYY and time HH:MM AM/PM.
    In 1Password Preferences for Language option in advanced Tab I have "Use system defaults".

From my point it looks like a bug, where application should use System Preferences Language & Region.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:date

• Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've passed your comments along to the development team so that they're aware that the issue is affecting your workflows.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• doml
    doml
    Community Member

@Dave_1P That's what we were told at the start of November. And in August. And in June. I hope you understand how that might make it feel hollow?

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your patience, I'm happy to share an update has been added to our nightly build! Dates and times across the app should better respect the system locale:

If you're interested in checking it out, you can update your release channel in 1Password 8's preferences. With automatic updates turned on, this will push you to the nightly within 24 hours:

Keep in mind though that the nightly builds undergo less testing than their beta and production counterparts, so there is an increased risk of other unexpected behaviour. If you'd prefer to wait, the 1Password for Mac Beta Releases will have notes about upcoming changes but I'll continue to post here once this particular change makes it to beta.

Let me know if you have any questions and how it goes if you try out the nightly build. ๐Ÿ˜

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P
    Do see that the date supports DD MMM YYYY in possible options as in MMM DD YYYY, YYYY MMM DD or any other. I'm specifying this as I'm looking at month being displayed as name only and not number. So there would never be any confusion for the date in any format. You can have number option but I shall prefer words. This also could be "DEC" or "DECEMBER" which should be fine to read.

• Hi @vishalsheth,

Thanks for trying this out! I can certainly understand the benefit of different formats and I'm also personally a fan of the written month. I'll add your feedback to our tracker for this.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again. ๐Ÿ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-1347

• philrob
    philrob
    Community Member

4 months on - any update on this? Even a 'We will... eventually... it is on the 'to do list"

Americans don't seem to realise just how disconcerting and off-putting their format is to the rest of the world - Users shouldn't have to guess whether 06/07/2022 - is June or July.

A quick fix would be to just switch the display format to the iso system yyyy-mm-dd - that way no-one gets confused and there is no need to check location settings.

More generally though, for a company trading internationally, respecting local settings should be part of core functionality coding standards: "Ensure that Local System Settings for date/time/language etc. are respected throughout the application"

• Hey there @philrob

This change is now available in the beta version of 1Password and will make its way to the Production version before long. If you'd like to use it now, you can follow the steps shown here to switch to the beta channel:

โ˜ž Use 1Password beta releases

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

• crisrich58
    crisrich58
    Community Member

I'm waiting for that to become an official release in the production version too. People have asked for this for some years now, as we can see on other posts about this.
    It's not just a more "English (UK)" style of date. It's a global style of date, except for the USA.

• I'm looking forward to this as well, @crisrich58! The release notes that Grey links above are inclusive of production versions so you can keep an eye out there, you can also turn on automatic updates: How to keep 1Password up to date

We can't say when exactly the next release will be, but we'll be here to help with any questions or feedback once you try it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

@andrew.l_1P the dates are still displaying incorrectly in Windows FYI (I haven't had a chance to also check my MacBook as yet). Should this have rolled out by now? Screen snip below FYI (my regional settings are for New Zealand so should be displaying DD/MM/YYYY):

• @Mycenius โ€“ It's still in beta for now, but should be in the Production version before too long. :)

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Thanks @GreyM1P - it will be good to finally have this resolved - its been a long wait for all of us outside of the USA.... :-)

• โ˜‘๏ธ Automatic updates turned on: How to keep 1Password up to date
    โ˜‘๏ธ Release notes bookmarked: 1Password for Mac Releases

I'm waiting right by the door with you @Mycenius ๐Ÿ˜

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

• jcocula
    jcocula
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password for many years but I've just seen that each record's created and modified dates are shown as the system setting that was in effect when the record was created or modified.

Example: Today is 31 December 2022. I have system set to U.S. locale, with dates in M/D/Y format. Create a record and save. Change system settings to Ireland locale with dates in D/M/Y format. Edit record and save. The record now reports created on 12/31/2022 and modified on 31/12/2022.

You can have a record that shows 31/12/2022 as modified date and 1/20/2020 as created date. But if the day of the month is between 1 and 12, you have no idea what you're looking at. Someone who travels or moves will experience this. This makes it impossible to reliably interpret the created and modified dates, which can lead to real problems, especially with shared vaults.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
    OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
    Referrer: forum-search:date format localisation problem

• andrew.l_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @jcocula,

Thanks for surfacing this, I can certainly see how this would cause confusion. I wasn't able to reproduce the behaviour locally, could you tell me which macOS version you're using?

Here are the steps I took:
    1. Create a new item
    2. Quit 1Password 8
    3. Changed region under Mac settings > General > Language & Region
    4. Launch 1Password 8
    5. Edit that same item

Let me know if you see any differences! We've got a fix for the app better respecting system setting date formats in beta right now which may help, I'll keep an eye out to see if I can confirm.

ref: dev/core/core#8747
    ref: dev/core/core#14243

• jcocula
    jcocula
    Community Member

Hi Andrew, Thanks for looking. I'm on macOS Ventura 13.0.1. I'm now seeing a much more obvious issue, where all dates in 1Password appear to be in U.S. MM/DD/YYY format, even though my macOS System Settings -> General -> Language & Region -> Date Format is in "29/08/2023" format. I set up a Family account and added family members who live in the U.S., if that's at all related. I'd really like to see my dates in the local DD/MM/YYYY format though.

• simonwhitaker
    simonwhitaker
    Community Member

1Password shows dates (e.g. modified, created dates) in US region format (MM/DD/YYYY). I would expect 1Password to show dates formatted for my current macOS regional preferences (DD/MM/YYYY)

1Password Version: 8.9.11
    OS Version: macOS 13.0.1

• Hi @simonwhitaker ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป

Thanks for your feedback. Our developers are aware of this and are working on a fix, I've added your feedback to the internal tracking issue we have open. Apologies for any interruption to your workflow that this has caused, we hope to to have the fix released soon.

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member

Hi again!

I have now updated to 1Password 8.9.12 on macOS, on the production channel. (This is the version that lists proper localisation in its release notes.) I have restarted 1Password, and for good measure, I have restarted the Mac as well. I still see US-style dates and times in 1Password.

How do I get the localisation to work? Am I missing some configuration toggle or something?

• BusterBill
    BusterBill
    Community Member

Okay, with 1P 8.9.12 for Mac, the date formatting appears to be fixed, i.e. it follows the system setting. The time format does not. I work in 24 hour clock format, e.g. 13:45 or 09:34 without the am/pm notation and this is how my system is set (macOS Catalina, 10.15.7), but times on 1P entries are still in hh:mm:ss am/pm. I would have thought aligning the time format with the system settings would be part and parcel of fixing the date format.

I hope a resolution to this is not going to be another 7 months in the making.
    Why is it apparently so difficult?

• BusterBill
    BusterBill
    Community Member

Okay, with 1P 8.9.12 for Mac, the date formatting appears to be fixed, i.e. it follows the system setting. The time format does not. I work in 24 clock format, e.g. 13:45 or 09:34 without the am/pm notation and this is how my system is set (macOS Catalina, 10.15.7), but times on 1P entries are still in hh:mm:ss am/pm. I would have thought aligning the time format with the system settings would be part and parcel of fixing the date format. I hope a resolution to this is not going to be another 7 months in the making. Can't believe it's so difficult.

• Snesco
    Snesco
    Community Member

Still showing a US format for me in Germany. I'm on 8.9.13 (80913040)

Here are my region settings for more context.

• Appreciate the additional info, @jcocula! I did some more testing and it seems the "Region" is what dictates the date format. I'd also expect the "Date format" option to override this so I'll bring that up internally for some further investigation. In the meantime, try changing the region in your Mac settings and let me know if you see better results:

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

the date formatting appears to be fixed... The time format does not. I work in 24 hour clock format... but times on 1P entries are still in hh:mm:ss am/pm. I would have thought aligning the time format with the system settings would be part and parcel of fixing the date format."

๐Ÿ˜ฏ

I will have to jump on my MacBook pro and see if its exhibiting the dame behaviour... Like you @BusterBill I'm a 24-hour clock format fan!