I updated my master password but both iMac and iPhone continue to unlock only with the old password.

Options
JAtsamkinecson
JAtsamkinecson
Community Member

I run 1Password 7 primarily on my iMac and iPhone, but I use the browser plugin (in Edge) on MS Windows. After installing it in the browser on windows I got a strange looking prompt asking for my 1Password master password, so I quickly changed my master password. The change took immediate effect on the MS Windows browser plugin, but both my iMac and iPhone continued to only unlock using the previous password.

After a few weeks of this I updated to 1Password 8, re-signed into my account at 1password.com, and now 1Password 8 unlocks only with the new master password. 1Password 7 was removed from my iMac by the 1Password 8 install, but both 7 and 8 are still on my iPhone. 1Password 7 still unlocks only with the old password and 1Password 8 unlocks only with the new.

Is there a bug with propagating master password changes? Or did I do something wrong?

I set the category to IOS because I can still reproduce the problem there. It was also a problem on my iMac but 1Password 7 is no longer installed there. On the iMac I was running an up-to-date version of 1Password 7 on macOs 12.6 and and using an up-to-date version of Chrome.

1Password Version: 7.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 15.6.1
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I updated my master password but it did not update on my Mac

Comments

• Hello @JAtsamkinecson! 👋

Is it possible that you have an older standalone "Primary" vault still added to 1Password 7 on your Mac? 1Password 7 unlocked using the first vault or account added to the app, and if you were using a Primary vault then it's possible that the old password is associated with that vault.

You can check for a Primary vault on your iPhone by doing the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 7 on your iPhone.
    2. Tap on Categories.
    3. Tap on the vault icon in the top left corner of the screen.
    4. Do you see a Primary vault listed?

If you do see a Primary vault then you can migrate it to your account by using this link: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

If you don't see a Primary vault then I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can dig deeper. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• JAtsamkinecson
    JAtsamkinecson
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ha! Yes, that explains things. I had been keeping my old Primary vault around as a backup. When I moved to 1Password 8 I finally left it behind.

Thank you for sorting that out.

• @JAtsamkinecson

I'm happy that the mystery is solved. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions/issues. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.