Changing a password in an iphone app - won't auto update in 1Password

Options
Emma85
Emma85
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

I am new to 1Password, this is the third password system I've trialed for our family. Hoping 3rd time is a charm. Thus far we are liking it. Able to get the passwords to autofill fairly easily across our web browsers and iphone apps. But one question related to changing passwords - I have been successful in getting 1Password to pick up password changes in a web browser and auto load them up to 1Password. However, I cannot seem to get the same thing to happen when I'm in apps on my iphone. Is there are setting that needs to be changed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @Emma85

When using autofill on an iPhone or iPad, it's Apple's built-in Password AutoFill system, which is part of iOS, that does the actual filling. 1Password just provides the data for it when iOS requests it.

As such, we have to work within the framework of that Password AutoFill system, which doesn't have the mechanism to save a Login after it's been used, like you would in the browser on your computer.

Put another way, 1Password isn't able to "watch" for new Logins like it can in the browser extensions on your computer, or when you use 1Password in Safari on iOS.

In these cases, we have to work a little differently, where we save the Login just before using it:

1. Tap the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard.
    2. Tap Create Login.
    3. Enter your details, then tap Save & Fill.

If you already have a Login item, you can tap and hold on the item, then tap "✏️ Edit" in the top-right corner. You can then make the changes you need to, including generating a new password in the Password field, and tap Save. Tapping that item will then autofill your new details.

There's more information about how to do this here: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords — Change your password in the 1Password apps.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.