Best way to close 1P iPad app

Options
tomseeley
tomseeley
Community Member

I’m still learning. I can use the iOS app. But I’m not sure, once I’ve logged to my acct on the iPad, what’s the smarted way to quit. I can just exit the app and swipe up on the page of open apps but I’m not sure this closes stuff securely as far as 1P is concerned. If there’s a “log out” button on the iPad I haven’t found it yet.

Pls help. Thx.

Comments

• Hello @tomseeley! 👋

There's no need to quit the 1Password app or sign-out of your account. Instead, you can configure 1Password to lock automatically when you switch away to another app:

When 1Password is locked none of your items are accessible and only you can unlock 1Password using your account password or Touch ID / Face ID. I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• tomseeley
    tomseeley
    Community Member
    Options

Dave_1P

Thank you for this. I've read the link on How to set 1Password to lock automatically and I have a couple follow up Q:

It says I can set auto lock in three versions of 1P: the extension, the apps, and on 1Password.com. I'm not a strong computer user and I want to be sure I understand these correctly.

I use a Windows desktop and I've pinned the 1P shortcut to my taskbar. I'm comfortable starting 1P that way. Does that mean that in that case I'm using 1Password.com?

I use Firefox as my browser. I have enabled the FF 1P extension and I've put it on the FF toolbar. I don't usually start 1P from that, but if I did, would I then be using 1P in the extension?

Finally, I also use an iPad. I've got the 1P iPad app on it for when I'm using the iPad not the desktop. I assume that means in that case I'd be using 1P in the 1Password apps.

Sorry to be borderline OCD, but all my life I've taken language literally, sometimes to a fault! I suspect that's what I'm doing here too. I hope you'll indulge me and either tell me I've got it or I need more help!

Thanks.

• @tomseeley

I'll come to each question separately:

It says I can set auto lock in three versions of 1P: the extension, the apps, and on 1Password.com. I'm not a strong computer user and I want to be sure I understand these correctly.

The main 1Password app and the browser extension should lock and unlock at the same time as long as these settings are turned on:

• In 1Password's Settings > Browser, make sure that "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is turned on.
    • In the browser extension's settings, make sure that "Integrate with 1Password app" is turned on.

Then, the settings you choose in the Security tab of 1Password's Settings will be obeyed by both the main 1Password app and the 1Password browser extensions.

When you use the web version of 1Password (which should realistically only be when you're temporarily using a device that doesn't have 1Password on it), the auto-lock setting there is only for the web version and nothing else.

I use a Windows desktop and I've pinned the 1P shortcut to my taskbar. I'm comfortable starting 1P that way. Does that mean that in that case I'm using 1Password.com?

In this case, you're using 1Password for Windows. 1Password.com is something you'll only really use if you're borrowing a computer that doesn't have 1Password on it, or you need to make changes to your billing or other profile information.

I use Firefox as my browser. I have enabled the FF 1P extension and I've put it on the FF toolbar. I don't usually start 1P from that, but if I did, would I then be using 1P in the extension?

Yes. When you're using your web browser, you would normally use the 1Password browser extension instead of the main 1Password app.

Finally, I also use an iPad. I've got the 1P iPad app on it for when I'm using the iPad not the desktop. I assume that means in that case I'd be using 1P in the 1Password apps.

Yes. In terms of what we call things, you would always be using one of:

• 1Password for something, such as "1Password for Windows"
    • "1Password in the browser" (the browser extension in Firefox or another browser)
    • 1Password.com, the web version for managing your account

Hopefully that clears things up. :)

This discussion has been closed.