Enable iPadOs Safari Extension with Screentime restrictions enabled?

Options
mikeormerod
mikeormerod
Community Member

We have an iPad for our kids which has Screen Time restrictions enabled to moderate the content they have access to. At the same time, I'd like to promote good password practice with them using 1Password. But it appears it's not possible to enable ST restrictions and 1P as the same time? As a parent, this seems a huge miss.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @mikeormerod

Unfortunately, Apple's Screen Time feature in iOS restricts the enabling or disabling of any Safari extensions when Web Content restrictions are turned on (not just 1Password), but not their use if they're turned on when restrictions are turned off. Here's what to do:

1. Open the Settings app on the iPad.
    2. Tap Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions > Web Content.
    3. Choose "Unrestricted" temporarily.
    4. Open Safari and go to any website. (This doesn't work on a blank tab.)
    5. Tap the 🧩 extensions icon in the address bar. You'll now be able to turn on 1Password.
    6. Go back to Settings and adjust the Web Content setting back to what it was before.

Now, 1Password will be "locked on" in Safari, and won't be able to be turned off in the Extensions menu while the Web Content restriction is set to anything but "Unrestricted".

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.