1Password 7 and macOS Ventura

Options
danr
danr
Community Member

I realize WWDC was only a few hours ago, but will 1Password 7 support Ventura?

I have no intentions of upgrading to 1Password 8 (no local vaults, subscription only), so would like to confirm planned compatibility with the upcoming macOS.

1Password Version: 7.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13 Ventura

Comments

• Hey @danr:

Thanks so much for the question. Since there will be no further updates to 1Password 7, we cannot guarantee that 1Password 7 will be compatible with macOS Ventura.

Alvin

• danr
    danr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunate. I'll have to spin up a Monterey VM then.

• You're most welcome!

• pverhoye
    pverhoye
    Community Member
    Options

Well, then I suggest to read the forum about all the complaints and fix v8 by the time Ventura is available ;)

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member
    Options

You know, that's a fair point that Agilebits should really consider. Folks will give them time to fix 1P8 if they can still use 1P7, but if forced to upgrade to an inferior product that has both security and usability bugs, they may just look elsewhere. Supporting 1P7 through Ventura and iOS/iPadOS 16 would make good sense.

• HillbillyInBC
    HillbillyInBC
    Community Member
    Options

Co-sign. I won't be downgrading from a native Mac app to a janky cross-platform dumpster fire.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi folks, thanks for the feedback here.

As our frequent release schedule hopefully shows, we're working overtime on improving an already great app. 1Password 8 is the future of 1Password - it's the bedrock upon we're building the next generation of... well ... everything.

While we don't have any specific news to share about 1Password 7's compatibility with Ventura, as @Alvin.L_1P mentioned above, I'd just like to mention that the bulk of our resources and development time are going to 1Password 8 because that is now our flagship app. We're proud of what we've accomplished so far and set on making it even better.

We in customer support will continue to provide help with whatever app you've got (within reason... I haven't seen a pre-1Password 4 request come through in a while) but 1Password 8 is where we're focusing our efforts. We hope you'll join us on it if you haven't already!

• danr
    danr
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

We hope you'll join us on it if you haven't already!

Add local vaults back and let me buy a perpetual license for the version and I'd be happy to.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that 1Password 8 hasn't yet been pushed as an automatic upgrade for 1Password 7 users. I assume that's because there's a set of features or bug fixes still to be implemented before it's considered to be "good enough" to not cause a huge support load.

That's fine! But, unfortunately Apple has been getting worse at providing comprehensive security fixes to older macOS releases. Many are now tracking macOS releases more closely to gain those security fixes.

Iif 1Password 8 is not looking to be at the point where it's ready to be pushed to all 1Password 7 users when Ventura releases, can 1P7 be updated with whatever key fixes are required to ensure compatibility? Otherwise, it's painful to force users to choose between a fully-secure operating system and a functional and usable password manager.

• Daniel Matos
    Daniel Matos
    Community Member
    Options

Add local vaults back and let me buy a perpetual license for the version and I'd be happy to.

I will happily pay the subscription as long as local vaults are supported.

• AKN
    AKN
    Community Member
    Options

Me Too
    I will happily pay the subscription as long as LOCAL VAULTS are supported.
    I like the way 1P7 can hide the vaults and focus on just one, so to the unnasuming don't know they are there...
    Having a sidebar with other vaults on display is just pants...!
    You say this is they way foreward but that's because you've been floated on the markets, and they want their £ return...
    Don't fix what wasn't broke!
    The developer replies are just politician jargon. Thanking you for a moan about something they aren't focused on any longer dodging the issue/question and changing track to how great the emperor's new clothes are..!
    Really 1P7 was fine, now't broke but if and when 1P7 on OS & iOS stops I'll revert to Apple keychain and passwords...

You didn't have to sour the milk for people like me whom have used you from nearly the beginning and always been a first install.
    Finally you have also removed 1P7 from the iOS app store, so a new phone even if not on iOS 16 can not download it. Double Pants😤

• HillbillyInBC
    HillbillyInBC
    Community Member
    Options

Ventura release candidates are rolling out. Has anyone confirmed that 1Password 7 still works?

• HillbillyInBC
    HillbillyInBC
    Community Member
    Options

And now the initial release of Ventura is rolling out. Has anyone confirmed that 1Password 7 still works?

• crankytimefunworld
    crankytimefunworld
    Community Member
    Options

Is it true that 1Password 8 does not support local vaults? My copy is paid for by my very large employer and authorized for use on our systems. I use it for work every day. I can tell you if local vaults are not supported, this very large company will no longer allow the use of 1 Password at all as they don't permit us to store any data in external clouds

• digitalbricks
    digitalbricks
    Community Member
    Options

After having updated to Ventura a few minutes ago, it seems that 1Password 7 still works. Fingers crossed.

• svoop
    svoop
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, it doesn't. Viewing entries in 1P7 on Ventura (in the main app window) is broken, however, it still works (with limitations) in the floating window. :-(

• FixOfflineVaults
    FixOfflineVaults
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, browser integration is totally broken in Safari on Ventura. Which they knew, because it has been broken for the whole beta, they just don't care.

• matt@typidee
    matt@typidee
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to Ventura 13.0.1, 1Password 7 crashes immediately after entering master password.

If you rely on local vaults, recommend moving credentials to a different secure store before upgrading.

1Password 7
    Version 7.9.7 (70907000)
    1Password Store

This discussion has been closed.