[v8] no tag search [use =untagged]

Options
parpayoun
parpayoun
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

How to search for items with no tags in 1Password 8?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:no tag

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2022
    Options

@parpayoun

See first line of the Feb 7 post.

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

=untaggedworks well, thanks.
    But =tag:$name (where I replaced 'name' with the name of one of my tags) does not. Is it because I'm on a Mac?
    It seems it does not search at all. (even not saying 0 results for…)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@parpayoun

I'm able to just start entering tag names in the search area, and they appear, with a tag icon to the left of tags names.

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

In fact =untagged does not work.
    I was confused by the fact that there was no items without tags in my vault.
    untagged (without the equal sign) behaves the same.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@parpayoun

Are you selecting the bottom of the search area that says "Show all matching untagged items", or using Cmd+Return to select that? I have 29 items in a test vault, only 1 is tagged. When I enter "=untagged" in the search area, hit Cmd+Return, I get 28 items shown, and a purple header that states "28 results for untagged items".

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Yes, indeed!
    But maybe the terms must be localized in French?

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

That's what I thought: terminology for extended search is !partially) localized.
    After some tests, I found that =untagged should be =sanstag in French.
    But can't find the translation for other terms.

If someone from the team read this post, please clean this mess and put the info somewhere accessible.
    A better solution would be to have a permanent untagged tag a top of all tags.

• @parpayoun – I'm not sure if search filters, like =untagged:, should be translated or not, so I'll pass this information along to the development team for them to take a look at. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Could you let me know if these search filters are working when translated, or if they seem to be only in English?

• =tag:
    • =category:
    • =vault:
    • =favorite (note the lack of : colon here)
    • =untagged:

This information will be very useful in finding out what's going on. Thanks very much. :)

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@GreyM1P

=untagged is actually translated to =sanstag. (capture 001)
    It's the only term that works on my system.
    No other are valid neither in English or French.

Otherwise, if you type fav in the search field, 1P8 will suggest the Favorites. (capture 002)

• @parpayoun – Thanks for getting back to me on that. I've passed that on to the development team for their information. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P

Thanks for your kindness.
    I have a question: many of my items have linked documents that was (re)imported in 1P7 as external links.
    How do I embed them in their parent item?

• @parpayoun – Would you mind sending an email to support+forum@1password.com and the team can look into this with you?

Make sure to include a link to your comment: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/661062/#Comment_661062

Let me know the conversation number you receive in the auto-reply from BitBot, which looks like [#ABC-12345-123], and I'll make sure your email goes to the right team to help.

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@GreyM1P

Thank you for your help.

In the meantime I found a solution: just click on a document to display it, this will download an exact copy of the original in the preview folder. Thus, you can re-import this copy into any 1P8 item.

It's a bit long and tedious, but it works!

All this brings up a new question:
    What will happen if I open these items containing embedded documents in 1P7?

• dvouill
    dvouill
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

According to this page https://support.1password.com/search-1password/, we should be able to search for specific tag.

I have the same problem as PARPAYOUN, no tags work, either in the main window or quick access, at the exception of =untagged (I rather use English than French).

Search doesn't show any results, although I have at least 15 items.

Regards

PS: latest version of macOS, 1P8 and Extension. Using Safari.

• @parpayoun

Thanks for the update! Items won't change between 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 – the change here most likely happened when migrating those items into your 1Password account. Now that they're in your 1Password account, they should look the same regardless of which version you use.

• @dvouill

Quick Access is designed to get you to one of your items quickly, rather than show a list of results – that's what Search is for in the main window.

You'll need to combine the =tag:{something} syntax with another term. For example, you might search for =tag:travel canada. This would find you any items tagged travel that contain the word canada.

If you want to run a search that just includes =tag:{something}, that'll work from Search in the main window. Hope that helps!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm using 1Password for Windows Beta 8.9.10 (80910001) and searching for tags is also not possible. It doesn't matter if I'm using 1Password in German or English language. No matter what tag I'm searching for, I got no result.

These are some of my tags, and none of them is empty.

When searching for =tag:Arbeit or =tag:Family no result is shown. Also, there is no popup under the search field when typing more than =tag.

Also, =untagged is not working. I created an item without a tag.

But there is no result when trying to search for untagged items.

• Hi @DenalB

Thanks for reporting this. Our development team are aware that the =untagged search filter doesn't work when 1Password is set to German, and they're working on fixing it. I've added you to the bug tracker for it. :)

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#17481

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @GreyM1P ,

Just to clarify. As I wrote, it doesn't matter if I'm using 1Password in German or English language.

• @DenalB – Oh, sorry, I missed that part while reading your post. Do you remember if you set up 1Password in German first, then switched to English later? I'm keen to see if this issue depends on what language is chosen first, during setup. Then I can pass that information along.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @GreyM1P ,

Yes, normally I'm using 1Password for Windows in German language. I only switched to English language to try if searching is still not working.

• @DenalB – Thanks! That might be the issue then. Not so much that it only happens in German, but if German is selected first. I'll pass that on to the development team for their information. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I'll pass that on to the development team for their information.

👍

• Hello @DenalB,

I hope all is well. I came across this thread due to Grey's comments in our internal issue. In a related discussion it was mentioned while using the German language setting and I've been able to confirm that using =ummarkiert works in place of =untagged. However, if you are switching between languages, after doing so, completely quit 1Password and relaunch it. Then give =ummarkiert a try and let us know if this works for you. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.