To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Bit entropy

Hey all!
Don’t you think it’s a good and efficient idea to add bit entropy to our passwords? KePas has that feature and auto generated password are way more complex using special symbols. I usually do all my passwords there and then put them on 1Pass.

Comments

• Catherine_F1P
    edited November 2022

Hey @megatruck have you tried our auto Password Generator? Learn more on how 1Password keeps you safe in our blog post.

Have a great weekend. - Catherine 🙂

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Yh that’s the problem it only tells us wether the password is weak/strong. For more advanced users we would like to know the bit entropy once we use the Password Generator. I really hope the devs see this since it’s very easy to implement and it’d make 1Pass even better than it already is.

• @megatruck

The strength meter that you see in the password generator will be at its maximum when it's generated a password containing about 80 bits of entropy.

Generating a Random password with the following recipe generated a password of about 80 bits of entropy:

Type: Random Password
    Characters: 14
    Numbers off
    Symbols off

A password with 80 bits of entropy would take somewhere in the tens of thousands of years to crack, to give you some idea of its strength. More complex passwords will have more bits of entropy, but at that point, the specific entropy becomes meaningless since the password is essentially uncrackable anyway.

Even when generating an 8-character Random password with no numbers or symbols, 1Password will generate passwords of no less than about 45 bits of entropy.

We would always suggest using a password that "maxes out" the strength meter wherever possible, unless specific requirements with a website make this impossible. I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @GreyM1P !

Thanks for this explanation. 👍

• @DenalB – Glad to help! :D

This discussion has been closed.