1p8 clean search field instead of keeping previous search

Options
loscarweb
loscarweb
Community Member

I do not find the customization usefull for me. I go to search and type the first letters of the password … but in 1p8 the last search is kept in memory , which requires an extra step to empty the search field and do another search .

Is there as way to clean the search field automatically?

Thank you

Comments

• Hello @loscarweb,

Thanks for your feedback about 1Password 8 retaining the previous search query. Currently there is no way to automatically clear the search field before entering a new search. Currently, clicking the X to the right of the search field is your best option.

I've cast a vote on your behalf in a feature request we're tracking where other customers have also expressed that they would like to see the search field clearing automatically. Please let us know if you have any other concerns or feedback you'd like to share.

ref: IDEA-I-1531

• asking_questions
    asking_questions
    Community Member
    Options

+1. It's a bit of a hassle to do a new search, especially since tapping the x only sometimes positions the cursor inside the search field. So you end up having to tap multiple times to clear the old search and start a new search.

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@ag_mike_d thanks for the feedback and cast for a feature update.

It makes no solution design sense to me to keep the previous search in memory and as @asking_questions said it is not easy to clear it with the x. I find 1p8 workflow not as seamless as 1p7.
    As a user I only want two things from 1Password . 1) trust it is secure 2) be uneventful and make its use so simple it gets unnoticed… having to click here and there is time frustrating.

Thanks for the consideration for future updates

• Macorin
    Macorin
    Community Member
    Options

+1 as well. I’m for all things that speed up workflow, and this certainly will. I agree with the comments above.

• Good morning folks,

We appreciate the additional feedback here. @asking_questions and @Macorin, I've also cast votes for this feature request. Thanks!

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

At the very least, tapping x to clear the search really should also position the cursor in the search field after clearing it, ready for the new search term. (As mentioned by @asking_questions ) This is how most x icons work on iOS, even in Apple's apps.

e.g.

When tapping the x on this screen:

You get this:

But I'd expect to see this:

• RichieB
    RichieB
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for automatically clearing the previous search. Once I have looked up a password it is very rare I need the exact same search again the next time I open 1Password. Was this really in the workflow of the customer journey? What was the reasoning to make it remember a search?

• mattsowyo
    mattsowyo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d
    +1 for clearing the search field automatically AND auto cursor placement into search field.

Is there a way to vote ourselves for feature requests?

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello @jcwacky,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for reporting this behaviour. We've previously filed issue to fix this issue for the cursor not defaulting back to the search bar. Following some testing with Production and Beta versions this is working as expected. I suggest trying to reinstalling 1Password 8 for iOS and let us know if this behaviour persists.

ref: dev/core/core#14445

• Hi folks - thanks for your replies! I've cast votes on your behalf for this feature request.

@mattsowyo, regarding your question about a way to cast votes yourself for feature requests, this is not possible. We file requests/suggestions internally for the product team. Should you have a new request or would like us to advocate for you on a current feature request, just let know here in the 1Password Support Community or through an email to support@1Password.com and we'll be happy to provide the details to the team!

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me. The issue of the search field not getting focus after clearing it with the x button does indeed appear to be fixed in the latest beta (8.9.6).

Not sure I'm a fan of the new behaviour that gives the search field focus when navigating back to the results screen though, feels unexpected and not overly helpful.

• Hello again @jcwacky - thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Glad to hear this is working for you now.

Sorry for any confusion on my part, but related to this thread, is this where you'd expect to see the search field cleared when navigating back to the search results? If you'd expect some other behaviour, please let us know and we'd be happy to pass your thoughts along to the team.

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d When navigating back to the search results screen, I'd expect to just see the full screen of results:

But in the latest beta (8.9.6) it seems to automatically trigger focus in the search field, which feels unexpected, as this isn't what happens in most other iOS apps (and it also has some odd white space and janky delay before the keyboard jumps up):

If the text in the search box was also selected, ready for typing a new search term, I could see the value in this, but currently it doesn't highlight the text, so you have to tap the 'x' to clear the field anyway, meaning there is no benefit in already focusing the field and covering some of the results with the keyboard. The only benefit would be if you wanted to add to your previous search term, but I doubt this is a very common action.

So may I suggest either:

• Also highlight the text in the auto-focused search box (like the Twitter app does) - this would solve the OP's query
    • Don't auto-focus the search box (like the iOS Mail app)
  • @jcwacky

Thanks for the excellent post. I'm going to file an issue for the keyboard (spacing) and make a suggestion about the search field behaviors.

ref: dev/core/core#18007

• PlatinumHydra
    PlatinumHydra
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d
    +1 for clearing the search field automatically AND auto cursor placement into search field.

• Hello @PlatinumHydra - thanks for the +1! I've added this to the requests we're currently tracking.

ref: dev/core/core#18007

This discussion has been closed.