Can't load 1Password on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2; Android v7.0: message: not compatible

goofiness
goofiness
Community Member

Successfully installed and running on desktop Windows 10, with Firefox and Chrome, and Samsung Galaxy A53 phone, Android v12.
But, can't install on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet S2, Android v7.0
From 1Password web page: "your device is not compatible with this version"
Google Play Store: nothing shows up on search for 1Password

Any suggestions? Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android v7.0
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:compatibility

Comments

• Hi @goofiness, thanks for your questions.

1Password 8 for Android require Android 9 or newer to run on a device. If your device can't be updated to Android 9, you can access your items by signing in on 1Password.com in your browser.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

Aha. Thanks, I'll give that a try. I don't think the tablet can be updated, only rubbished. It's time for a replacement, so maybe I'll wait for Santa.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

I just tried it, but it seems unworkable to try to manually enter the 32 character Secret Key, which I can see on my desktop or the printed copy. Is there a way to enter it on the tablet other than doing it manually?

• @goofiness

If you're using your Emergency Kit to find your Secret Key, you can instead scan the Setup Code printed on it to pre-fill all the details except your account password. Or you can generate a Setup Code from any of your other devices where you're already signed in: Find your Secret Key or Setup Code.

If you're already on the "Enter account details" screen, tap the ⬅ back arrow, then tap Scan Setup Code:

You'll then be able to use your device's camera to scan the Setup Code from your Emergency Kit or another device, and enter your account password to sign in.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I have some time.

• Much appreciated! When you have the change, do let us know how it goes.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

No success. Whatever I open on the tablet brings up a screen to enter account details, including the Secret Key. I cannot find anywhere using the tablet that gives me a choice to scan the setup code or the Secret Key.

• Thanks for the update @goofiness, I'm sorry to hear this issue persists.

My apologies if I've gotten turned around here, you're signing in on 1Password.com on your tablet correct? If so, scanning the Setup Code won't be an option.

If that's the case, I'd like to ask you to try this instead:
    1. Open 1Password on a PC or other device.
    2. Create a new Password or Login item.
    3. From your Emergency Kit or 1Password Login item, copy your Secret Key to the password field of the new item.
    4. Save the new item (you may want to change the title so it's easy to find).
    5. Open your new item and securely share it with yourself using the steps in this guide: Securely share 1Password items with anyone
    6. Open the secure share link on your tablet and copy your Secret Key.
    7. Sign in to 1Password.com using your copied Secret Key and other credentials.

Let us know if that works for you and thanks again!

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

Many thanks for this. I'll try it later on. This has become very time consuming, and not being able to use 1Password on the tablet creates a major impediment. This method looks promising.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

Sorry to be so dense, but this is a big frustration. After reading, and printing the info in the links you provided, I opened 1Password in Windows on my desktop. I've gone through steps 1-5, to share with only me. And I've clicked Copy, and added the email of the recipient, me, which is a Gmail account. Then clicked done. But, what's supposed to happen? How does the link get sent anywhere, because I do not see anything in the Gmail account to which it was supposedly sent. What am I missing in this process?
    Thanks for your indulgence.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

Please ignore my last post. I think I'm getting through the process, though it takes a lot of time, and switching back and forth. I'll keep at it, and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks, again.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

I got it to work. Hard for me to keep track of which email is to be used in each screen or form. If I authorize the link for a fixed time period, does that apply only to the process of getting it installed on the tablet, or is it the time allowed on the tablet before I need to start over?
    Thanks, again.

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

I can now open 1Password on my tablet from 1Password.com. All my passwords, logins, etc. are there. But, when I attempted to log in to a web site, the user name and password do not get filled. I need to copy/paste to fill the fields.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Hi @goofiness,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm glad to hear you can now open 1Password on your tablet via 1Password.com and all your logins and passwords etc. are there.

In regard to the username and password not being auto-filled in websites when you're using 1Password.com, 1Password on Android devices requires the 1Password for Android app to be installed and the Autofill option to be enabled within the app to provide filling of login fields. This makes use of the native Android autofill service.

As this functionality is not present via 1Password.com, it is only possible to copy fields from login items via 1Password.com and paste them into the relevant fields on websites and apps.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

-- Brendan

• goofiness
    goofiness
    Community Member

I guess the writing is on the wall: get a new tablet with upgraded Android. Thanks to you all, who are so responsive and helpful.
    Jerry

• Hi @goofiness,

On behalf of the team and I, you're very welcome.

Thanks for your kind words! 😀

-- Brendan

This discussion has been closed.