To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2FA clarification

Options
Vicki
Vicki
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Memberships

Hello, I have just activated 2FA. Can I please get some clarification on its purpose as I don't think it is what I expected. So is the following correct (or close), noting I am not at all technical.

2FA will authenticate (authorise) specific devices to access my 1Password Account. This means that, if my 1Password password was to be stolen and used on a non-authenticated device, they would not be able to access the 1Password Account without the 2FA code,

cheers

Vicki

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @Vicki,

Thanks for writing in with your question. The 2FA employed on 1Password Accounts is solely a prevention to other devices being added to your account without the second factor. It does not prevent someone that knows your password from accessing the 1Password installed on your device as you've already authorized the device with your 2FA.

Hopefully this helps clarify things, but let us know if you have any additional questions.

• wferry2000
    wferry2000
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way to keep 2FA on even for trusted devices? My concern is if a device of mine is stolen and password hacked that someone could get in to my vaults w/o 2FA.

This discussion has been closed.