ssh agent failing to start

andeke07
andeke07
Community Member
edited October 2022 in SSH

I have been trying to set up the SSH Agent on my Win10 machine but it doesn't seem to be running. I followed all the steps to enable the OpenSSH Authentication Agent but cannot get my OpenSSH executable to talk to 1Password.

Looking in the 1Password logs, I am seeing the following:

ERROR 2022-10-27T10:40:59.853 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:ssh\op-ssh-agent\src\lib.rs:159] Unable to start agent, another process is already listening
ERROR 2022-10-27T10:40:59.854 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:C:\builds\dev\core\core\ssh\op-agent-controller\src\desktop.rs:343] LocationUnavailable
ERROR 2022-10-27T10:40:59.854 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:ssh\op-agent-controller\src\desktop.rs:349] SSH Agent failed to start.

This happens every time I disable and enable the SSH agent in 1Password so it seems something is stopping it from starting up.

Would anyone be able to advise?

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• andeke07
    andeke07
    Community Member

Here's what happens when I try to ssh to something. The server in question has my public key so I would have thought the appropriate one would be prompted for in 1Password instead of asking me for my password:

• Hi @andeke07:

I'm sorry for the delay here. To confirm, did you additionally disable the default OpenSSH Authentication Agent from Services? https://developer.1password.com/docs/ssh/get-started/#check-if-the-openssh-authentication-agent-service-is-installed-and-running

If the default OpenSSH agent has the SSH authentication pipe reserved, then the 1Password SSH agent won't be able to start up. Let me know if that's the case.

Jack

• andeke07
    andeke07
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for following up. Yes, this is resolved - I had misread the instructions at the time and thought I needed to enable it instead of disable it. As it was off already at the time, I turned it on which was causing my problems. Switching it back off has resolved.

Thanks!

• Hi @andeke07:

Glad to hear it. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.