Option to make "Show all matching items" default search method

Options
koelsh
koelsh
Community Member

Probably 98% of the searches I do in IP8 are "Show All Matching Items" which means I'm having to hold down the command key and press enter after entering the term. This is creating extra work many times a day. The additional problem is that's creating a habit and I'm pressing command-enter in other places where it's not needed or where it runs a special function and creates additional issues.

I get that the theory behind IP8's password field is to be like Spotlight Search and for some people that's great. However for many (probably most) of us 1Password is treated more like Mail.app where "search" could just as well be called "filter"

It would be fine to use the "spotlight" theory by default but please add an option to make "show all matching items" the default search method.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• koelsh
    koelsh
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum: Instead, what if the search field remembered what was typed in last like the iOS version does? As it is, selecting something from the quick search field erases what was typed.

The iPad interface might be the better one anyway.

• Hello @koelsh! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! While I can't promise anything, we do have a feature request open to add an option making "Show All Matching Items" the default search behaviour in the app and I've added your request and comments there for the product team to consider. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-289

• colloidaddedrarefy
    Options

Chiming in that this is my currently my #1 point of friction on desktop. 🤞 For implementation like iOS or at least a setting to set "Show All Matching Items" as default without Command modifier.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

1PW8 has a hidden search feature that works almost like the far superior search of 1PW7. Use CMD + OPT + F. A new search field just above the item list and next to the sort button is revealed. This one searches/filters immediately and inline, ommiting the awful popup window and doesn't require an additional shortcut to show all results. Sadly there is no way to make this search default or even better to fully replace the awful search of 1PW8.

• daveu
    daveu
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! I just came here to make the same request. This is so frustrating. The way I search is to type a few things, hit return, peruse a full list of filtered options. I don't want a suggested pop-up as an unalterable default. Please go back to Show All as the default like in 7 and earlier. Or at least make it an option even if it's not the default.

• ag_mike_d
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @daveu - Thanks for your message. I replied to your other thread linked here.

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 on this.

• Hello everyone,

1Password for Mac recently introduced a change in how search works and pressing enter now opens "Show all matching results". You can then look through the total list of results for a search term.

Please make sure that you're running 8.10.24: How to keep 1Password up to date

You might need to completely close and then reopen 1Password before seeing the change. Let me know if this new behaviour helps. 🙂

-Dave

• seren
    seren
    Community Member
    Options

I just discovered this new default behavior for hitting return. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• You're most welcome.

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• @drewe20001

I'm happy that you find the change useful. 🙂

-Dave