Stop auto login submission & mini app feature request

mau47
mau47
Community Member

So I am still trying to adjust to the new 1Password and the mix of step forward and backwards that the app provides, but the one thing that is a major step back for me is when auto filling a login the page is automatically submitted, this would be great except for things like captchas, the auto submission will end up tanking your score for google recaptcha over time and certain sites won't allow login below a certain threshold, while I could change how I handle this by completing the captcha first I shouldn't have to change my workflow for this and it adds extra steps when 1Password pops up to fill automatically first etc., I would at least appreciate a toggle to turn the option off to allow those who don't want this to not deal with it.

The second thing is the mini app, while I would prefer it stay anchored to the top of the screen like the old one, I get you are leaning heavily into "version 8 is so mac like we even have spotlight for your passwords!" and I can adjust to that but I would like to have the information back you could see before without having to open the item in a new window or in the full app. For example I often save notes on items I need to reference and pull it up through the mini app, now its multiple additional clicks and a new window I have to explicitly dismiss. I would love it work similarly to the browser extensions where I can see complete item details without adding complexity to the process.

One of the great things about 1Password is how the app stays out of the way but I feel like these changes do the opposite.

Also, I am not sure if its a bug or I am just not sure how the new process works, but sometimes (and I haven't figured out how to reliably reproduce) when pressing ⌘\ I get the mini app search instead of having my password auto filled or the list of logins presented if there are multiple saved.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• dp2
    dp2
    Community Member

I agree 100%.
    Auto-submitting passwords is a real problem for me and means I cant use the app effectively. Unless there's a way to control this behaviour I'm going to have to swap to lastpass.

Other points are valid too, the new app is pretty frustrating to use. The behaviour is so different to the old version and many parts don't seem to be focussed on easy of use, more 'it looks cool'.

• Hi @mau47 / @dp2:

Thanks for your feedback on autosubmit. I've added your thoughts to an internal issue we have on this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• face
    face
    Community Member

+1 please remove auto login submission: any chance to have that implemented ?

• @face

Thank you for the feedback. I've added your vote to the internal work item so that our developers are aware that you'd like to have an option to turn off auto-submit. 🙂

• wcmolina
    wcmolina
    Community Member

+1. An option to disable auto-submit is definitely needed. Even though I find the auto-submit feature in 1P8 useful in some scenarios, I find that, more often than not, I have to copy/paste login information on sites that have some sort of captchas.

• Hello good folks of the forum,

We have some news for you! There is now have an option to disable auto-submit in Quick Access in the latest Nightly build of 1Password. If you're currently on the Nightly update channel (or open to switching), you can try it now. Here's how it works:

1. Unlock 1Password
    2. In your menu bar, select 1Password > Preferences
    3. Under General, de-select autosubmit forms after filling with Quick Access

If you give it a try, we'd love to have your feedback on how this works for you, or if you see any areas of potential improvement you'd like us to address. Thank you again for providing us key feedback on this aspect of the app, and we look forward to hearing from you!

• LightYear
    LightYear
    Community Member

110% what the OP said. Damn, these two are a shocking step back from 1Password 6. After 8 years with 1Password, I'm 10 minutes into my journey with 1P8 and have already triggered half a dozen failed login warnings (including auto-providing a site some other site's credentials) and have resorted to keeping the app open so I can see what the username is (or whether I've set one yet!) before auto-filling.

Glad to hear at least half the problem has been acknowledged. I guess after 8 years I'm back to beta testing...

• LightYear
    LightYear
    Community Member

For other looking to do the same, note that simply downloading the Beta and running the installer is sufficient to switch. I'm now running 8.9.9 "on BETA channel" and in my limited testing unchecking "autosubmit" is working perfectly.

• Hi @LightYear,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad to hear you're trying out the beta and the new feature to disable autosubmit is working well so far!

To address @mau47's other point about the autofill shortcut bringing up Quick Access, this can be caused by a couple things. The first is when you have multiple logins for a given app or website. The second is if 1Password doesn't detect anything to autofill. In both cases, the shortcut will instead trigger Quick Access so you can search/select the item you want. From there, you can still autofill an item by pressing Shift + Return when it's highlighted.

Let me know if you have any questions or additional feedback. 😊

• LightYear
    LightYear
    Community Member

Good to know thanks @andrew.l_1P . Just so @mau47 's other point doesn't get lost, let me reiterate, because that workflow is very significant to me too.

In the old days when you're at a login prompt on a website you could use the mini app to review all the records you have for it: if you have multiple logins you can check what the username is for each one; if you've added a note about using SSO you can see it there; if you'd like to add a email address or fix a login name, you can do it there; if you want to get your passport number or check which credit cards you have available, it was all there. Now that the mini app doesn't provide this, I find myself leaving the full app open to get some of that functionality back.

By the way, I've since upgraded the browser extension (⌘\ is so slow and prone to mis-entering in websites), and it's an odd subset of the old functionality too. I've learnt that it's really a different ecosystem to the native app - different keyboard shortcut, different login method (password, not fingerprint), different edit screen (a bloody website, instead of the native app!), different lock settings. But at least it brings back a little of the ability to see at a glance what you've got stored in each record.

1P's of old certainly seemed to have a more coherent user experience.

• Hi @LightYear,

I appreciate the additional feedback here. I'm glad to hear you've upgraded to the latest browser extension, I think that's the first step towards some of the coherence you're looking for! Let's start by turning on integration between the app and browser extension, here are the settings for both:

In the desktop app:

In the browser extension (by right-clicking the 1Password icon on your browser's toolbar):

This should help with logging into the browser extension and as well as no longer sending you to the website to edit items.

Regarding SSO, there are some additions in the beta version of the 1Password browser extension that might interest you: 1Password in the browser Beta Releases. Even if you don't use the beta itself, those release notes are a good way to see what's coming down the pike. 🙂

Lastly, since you mentioned leaving the 1Password 8 desktop app open to see more details for a given item, it is possible to set a custom keyboard shortcut for this:

Let me know how these go if you try them out and thanks again for sharing your thoughts and use cases with us!

• LightYear
    LightYear
    Community Member

This should help with logging into the browser extension and as well as no longer sending you to the website to edit items.

Oh, is that what it's supposed to do? Both those options were already on. I tried turning them off and on and restarting both the browser and 1Password, but still no difference.

• Hi @LightYear,

Thanks for troubleshooting, odd behaviour indeed. Having integration turned on between the two should allow them to share a lock state, meaning you'd only need to sign in to one. Similarly, editing an item should send you to the desktop app, but it sounds like it's still directing you to 1Password.com? And to confirm, the 1Password 8 app is running while you're using the browser extension?

If the issue persists, I'd like to ask you to send over a diagnostics report and console log:

These will give us a better idea what's going on under the hood and why things aren't behaving as expected. They can both be attached to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that here so I can link the two conversations. Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you! 🙂

• LightYear
    LightYear
    Community Member

[#WNW-98338-278]

• Thanks @LightYear! I can see the conversation is already going via email so I'll let the troubleshooting continue there. Thanks again for your earlier feedback. 🙂

ref: WNW-98338-278

• nkrupa
    nkrupa
    Community Member

Agree 100% with the frustrations on this thread. I'm a 10-year+ user across multiple organizations (including evangelizing switching), and 1Password 7+ has degraded my experience significantly. Continuous auto-logging in no matter what setting (across Mac browsers - yes I've tried Chrome+Safari, plus IOS Safari), meaning "Remember Me" is never tracked, Captchas fail, and often incomplete submissions or the WRONG app's credentials are often sent (e.g. embedded logins in other domains often reveal the wrong sites creds). BAD. I also liked always having an option of the dropdown displaying at. Cmd+\ even if only 1 login matched -- sometimes I want a credit card, sometimes I want to verify which login I'm using (e.g. Auth0 shared URLs), sometimes I want to verify what email I used. It's like a new Product Manager came in with strong opinions about "simplifying" the experience with no conscientiousness about the impact on longstanding users of multiple accounts. Very frustrating, and the oblivious support lack of acknowledgement of the auto-login is causing me to rethink if 1P is still the right solution (being asked to provide evidence of it -- surely users are reporting it!). It's a bad user experience. Give me control of my logins again, please.

• @nkrupa

I'm sorry for the frustration. This is an older thread and we've since added an option to turn off automatic submission when using Universal Autofill:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on General.
    5. Scroll down and deselect "Submit automatically with Universal Autofill”.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.