Need TOPT autofill option for pass/pin + one-time-password

Options
jaydbyoo
jaydbyoo
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

One of the sites that I use frequently requires uses multi-factor authentication. I access the site across multiple computers, and it requires frequent re-authentication. The login form has a field for username, and one other box for a token which is combination of a password/pin suffixed with the TOPT one-time-password.

Currently the 1password MFA/One-time-password features is only able to autofill the password or the one-time-password. Is there is a way to configure 1password to autofill with password+one-time-password?

If not, I recommend a feature enhancement to implement it. It is more insecure to copy and paste the one-time-password to/from the clipboard, plus makes the user experience poor for the most frequent used credentials.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS, iphone IOS, RHEL, fedora
Browser:_ Chrome & Firefox

Comments

• Hey there @jaydbyoo

If you're using 1Password in the browser, 1Password can already autofill one-time passwords for you, using the same method as username and password.

On mobile devices, you can turn on One-Time Passwords in 1Password's Settings > AutoFill to allow you to autofill one-time passwords. There's more information about that here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication. (see the different tabs for different devices)

If you find you're still having trouble, can you let me know what device and browser you're using? Then I'll be able to put this discussion in the right place. :)

— Grey

• jaydbyoo
    jaydbyoo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P, Yes it is able to autofill the password, however the password box is actually the stored password plus the one-time-password as a combined token. It would be great to have the ability to autofill the combination as a new feature.

• @jaydbyoo

If you're autofilling a "decorated" password, with the one-time password on the end, here's what to do:

1. Autofill the username and password as usual.
    2. Don't tap the submit button.
    3. Tap the Password field again, and Paste at the end of the autofilled password.

That will then add your one-time password to the password it had already autofilled.

On your computer, you can autofill the username and password, then click the one-time password in the 1Password browser extension to copy it. Then you can paste it at the end before you submit the form.

Give those things a go and let me know how they work. :)

• jaydbyoo
    jaydbyoo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that I'm what I'm doing today. It works, but it is insecure to copy and paste passwords, and a poor experience.

Do you take feature requests?

I'm asking if you can put a new feature in the backlog to create autofill configuration for MFA-based passwords that allow the option to fill pass+otp automatically.

• @jaydbyoo

I understand that the workflow you are describing is not an ideal experience. Although I cannot guarantee if or when it will be implemented, I have added a vote on your behalf to an internal feature request to allow autofill configuration for MFA-based passwords.

Let me know if you have any other questions or feedback on how we can improve 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.