Missing extension for Safari on Mac 1Password 8

Updated to Safari on Mac 1Password 8. Now unable to see or use the extension for Safari on Mac 1Password 8

1Password Version: Mac 8.7.3
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Missing extension for Safari on Mac iPassword 8

Comments

• treville
    treville
    Community Member
  • Hello @ezeidman2008! 👋

If you've installed 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store (as @treville mentioned) and still don't see 1Password for Safari then please try these steps:

1. Make sure you are running the latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac.
    2. Open 1Password 8 for Mac.
    3. Click the Help menu and choose Troubleshooting, followed by Fix Missing Safari Extension.
      • This will rebuild the launch services database and allow you to enable 1Password under Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

• iangoos
    iangoos
    Community Member

This fix worked for me.
    It would have been better had the fix been in the 1Password for Safari app, or at least a link to this instruction.

• Caminante
    Caminante
    Community Member

Hello Dave_1P, I had the same problem and your fix worked also fine for me, thanks a lot!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@iangoos @Caminante Glad those steps were helpful!

• sreichlin
    sreichlin
    Community Member

I have the same problem, and this fix did not help. The extension icon on Safari is locked all the time, including after I unlock the desktop app. When I click on the extension I get a spinning gear. Safari 16.1, MacOS 12.6.1, 1Password 8.9.8

• @sreichlin

It sounds as if you might be in the middle of an update. 1Password or Safari updated about two weeks ago but depending on your use and the Mac App Store update process you could just now be seeing this. Can you try the following?

1. Open Safari > Preferences > Extensions and disable 1Password for Safari. Remove the check mark.
    2. Quit your browser, wait a few moments and then open your browser.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    4. Open Safari > Preferences > Extensions and enable 1Password for Safari. Add the check mark.

If that fails to provide relief let's get you over to my colleagues on the extensions team. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. If you could include a link to your post that will be helpful.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/664745/#Comment_664745

• sreichlin
    sreichlin
    Community Member

Fabulous! That worked. Thanks so much!

• sreichlin
    sreichlin
    Community Member

Big oops ... it worked only temporarily. After a short time the extension stopped working, again giving me only a spinning gear. I did the proposed fix again, with the same result - a temporary fix. I combined the fix with a computer restart, and again got a temporary fix. I thought of uninstalling the extension, but I get a message that I have to uninstall the main 1Password program, and I'm not sure if that's OK. HELP, please!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sreichlin, at this time, I'd like you to reproduce the behavior and then send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• sreichlin
    sreichlin
    Community Member

OK, I understand these instructions, but is this safe for me? I don't really understand what I'm sending, it concerns my access to websites, so I'm wary. Can you assure me this is safe, and let me know more about what's in these reports I'm asked to send? Thanks.

• We appreciate your concern @sreichlin, 1Password respects your privacy, so the only information we have to diagnose problems is information you send us. We never use the information in diagnostics reports for anything other than diagnosing issues you’re having.

You can find out more about the exact information that is included in the reports here: About 1Password diagnostics information.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.