1Password 8 and iOS 16: "Set Up Verification Codes Using..."

mixture
mixture
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

Hey.

In Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options there is iCloud and 1Password listed for "Allow filing from" (I have iCloud de-selected and 1Password selected), but under "Set up verification codes using" there are options for only iCloud and Authy, with iCloud selected by default.

Why is there no 1Password available for "Set up verification codes using"? I'd like to use 1Password.

And does this matter? Could it be a good thing if 1Password was listed and supported for the verification codes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

ยซ1

Comments

• Hey @mixture

1Password supports saving/generating time-based one-time password codes (TOTP) for 3rd party sites/services. You can set up a Google account to enable two-factor authentication through an authenticator app - 1Password will save it and use to generate and fill those credentials when signing in. You can follow along with the steps in this support article.

1Password can't integrate with SMS or other non-TOTP forms of authentication, however, so if this is a separate one-time security code being sent to your phone or email, 1Password won't be able to assist here.

Thanks, Catherine ๐Ÿ™‚

• simonwhitaker
    simonwhitaker
    Community Member

I just came to ask the same question. I'd love this feature!

• simonwhitaker
    simonwhitaker
    Community Member

@Catherine_F1P This feature in iOS 16 allows third party apps (e.g. Instagram uses it) to trigger creation of TOTP codes in a separate authenticator app. Google Authenticator, Authy and Microsoft Authenticator are all supported. It would be great if 1Password was also supported.

• @simonwhitaker

As you mentioned, this feature is currently just for ingesting OTP seeds which we're looking at and I've let the product team know that both you and @mixture would like to see 1Password support this in the future.

In the meantime, the 1Password Safari iOS extension already does for you:

Thank you for the feedback! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2257

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

Please add my name to the list of supporters for this idea ๐Ÿ’ก

• @hegguardo

Added! ๐Ÿ˜Š

-Dave

• simonwhitaker
    simonwhitaker
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Amazing! Thank you :)

• @simonwhitaker

To clarify, I've added hegguardo to the internal list of supporters for the idea. It hasn't been added to 1Password yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• hollabit
    hollabit
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Add my vote to this one. I was trying to set up 2fa "automatically" for a social app and it brought me to an icloud keychain screen. After some quick digging I realized 1Password doesn't let you select it as the default authenticator app on iOS, which is a bummer. Setting it up manually is tedious.

As said above, you can find this setting under Settings > Passwords > Password Options

• @hollabit

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the product team. ๐Ÿ™‚

For now, most apps will give you a string of characters you can copy and paste into the 1Password app instead: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

• theDanielJLewis
    theDanielJLewis
    Community Member

I want this, too, especially since 1Password is already so good with 2FA codes! It's frustrating when apps will first automatically trigger iCloud or Authy before allowing me to manually add the 2FA code.

• gdogzy
    gdogzy
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I want this too, especially because Twitter does not allow you to manually copy the OTP code. Please add my vote!!

• @theDanielJLewis and @gdogzy

I've passed along your feedback as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

@gdogzy In the meantime, you should be able to save your one-time password for Twitter when you login to Twitter using Safari: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

• SupaMonkey
    SupaMonkey
    Community Member

How is this still not enabled? Free Apps like Authy and Authenticator have been working for months but a dedicated paid app / service like 1Password and subscribers are still waiting months down the line for simple 2FA integration?
    Really disappointingโ€ฆ

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

@SupaMonkey

I'm personally looking forward to seeing this as well and I've passed along your feedback to the team. Thank you for your patience. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• theDanielJLewis
    theDanielJLewis
    Community Member

@gdogzy, I had no trouble setting up 2FA on Twitter through a computer with the browser extension installed.

What caused me to look into this is when Instagram forces me to use the mobile app to set up 2FA (they don't allow it through a computer), and the app first triggered iCloud or Authy, but I could select the manual option to copy the code. Still, though, it would be nice if 1Password captured this itself.

• daedalus1115
    daedalus1115
    Community Member

New user here coming from LastPass. Really hoping this is available soon in 1Pass.

• gdogzy
    gdogzy
    Community Member

@theDanielJLewis I was able to get the code when setting up via my computer web browser. As you said though, would love to have this integrated into mobile. Thanks for the help!

• sjefen6
    sjefen6
    Community Member

I support this feature request!

• @daedalus1115 and @sjefen6

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• OmniiOMEGA
    OmniiOMEGA
    Community Member

Please add me to the list too @Dave_1P

• @OmniiOMEGA

Thank you for adding your voice to the conversation. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• gnotisauton
    gnotisauton
    Community Member

Yep, definitely a feature I'd very much look forward to

• @gnotisauton

Thank you for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member

+1 allowing 1Password to handle these โ€œcreate new TOTP entryโ€ requests would be great

• @ctry

Thank you for adding your voice. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-30555763

• hakunin
    hakunin
    Community Member

Adding my vote.

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member

And my vote.

• @hakunin and @ikjadoon

Thank you for providing your feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ITGuySixty
    ITGuySixty
    Community Member

Throwing my hat as well as a co-worker's in here for this feature.

This discussion has been closed.