Request: RIM PlayBook support

Any chance for a version for the BlackBerry PlayBook? Pretty please? I love this indispensible program on all my Apple products and must have it for my PlayBook! :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    What's a PlayBook?

Okay, bad joke. Sorry. Thank you for contacting us about your interest in 1Password for PlayBook!

As you may know, our focus for mobile development has been on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7. Given our druthers, of course, we'd support every popular platform, but we just don't have the resources to do that. This doesn't mean we're shutting the door on the other mobile platforms out there, but (to keep expectations realistic) it does mean that iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7 are where active mobile development is currently taking place.

I don't know all the details but my understanding is that Android apps will run on the PlayBook. Have you tried installing 1Password for Android on it?

Thanks again for your interest in 1Password!
  • Berknip
    edited May 2011
    Not yet, but would like to do so as soon as the Android compatibility is released by BlackBerry. I was under the impression that applications still need to get submitted by the developer though - but don't take my word on that. I don't believe the entire Android marketplace will be automatically available to PlayBook owners though.

I've been impressed by the PlayBook so far and prefer toting it around to the larger iPad. Hopefully I'll get my 1password fix fulfilled with the Android version then (until/unless it becomes natively supported at some time in the future).

Thanks for the response and for the wonderful product!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words! :-)

Please let me know what you find out. I don't have a PlayBook myself and would be interested to know if 1Password for Android does work on one or if we need to do anything to "enable" that.

Cheers,
  • sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for the kind words! skype_smile.png

Please let me know what you find out. I don't have a PlayBook myself and would be interested to know if 1Password for Android does work on one or if we need to do anything to "enable" that.

Cheers,

Hi I've just signed up here as I too was looking to see whether you had anyplans for a PlayBook version. I too find the PlayBook a much better proposition when mobile, as opposed to my iPad or even my iPhone.

Anyway, you can easily repackage your Android version to run on Playbook: do a search on android playbook and you will see wht needs doing (eg remove the android marketplace references etc).

RIM are offering free playbooks for any android app ported, although the offer is running out soon. Still, I am quite sure that if you were to contact RIM, they would send you one free as you are a major developer in the mobile space and they would be keen to have 1Password in the app store, without a doubt.

I already have several licenses for iOS, OS X and Windows, and the chance to have it on this geat little tablet would be very much appreciated.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, sparrowhawk, and welcome to the forums!

I'll be sure to pass this along to the developers.
  • egentz
    egentz
    Community Member
    I'm a heavy user of 1Password since the beginning and like how easy it works on OSX Browsers and iPhone and syncing via DropBox

The only thing I miss is support for BlackBerry PlayBook 2.x and also upcoming BlackBerry 10.

ekke
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote, ekke!
  • F451
    F451
    Community Member
    edited August 2012
    My wife asked me to request Blackberry Playbook support.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You can tell her I've passed this along on her behalf. :D

Cheers,
  • F451
    F451
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

You can tell her I've passed this along on her behalf. :D

Cheers,
    Instead, I gave her your, Dave's and Roustem's mobile phone numbers...just in case there are any issues. ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I always love to chat! :)
  • Hello,
    I am wondering if there are any news on the playbook development. There is a native sdk available now, which allows development in C. Maybe some of the sources of the ipad application could be reused for that.

In addition, as sparrowhawk pointed out, it is possible to repackage the android app for use with the playbook. For that to work, you need to get the .apk file, which is impossible for people without an android tablet or pone, because 1password reader for android is only available through google play, and google play only lets you download the application directly to your device.

Even if it is possible, the restrictions that blackberry imposes on applications to be repackaged are quite strict.

At https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/ you can check, whether the .apk file can be repackaged. If so, you can directly generate a .bar file which can be tested on any playbook or the playbook simulator which is also available at http://blackberry.com/developer

If you would provide the .apk file, I would also like to try whether it's possible. (wasntme)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Schnullibert! At this time the PlayBook remains unsupported. I will pass your feedback along to the developers, though! We do take the number of requests into account when determining future directions.

Cheers!
  • Well, I do hope I could make a small contribution, because I would really like to see the features from the i - and Android applications on my BB and my Playbook as well. (sun)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I should say that I know of no current plans, but we never say "never" and always like to remain "agile" (as our name suggests). :D
  • Ok, So I have been able to find the 1password reader .apk file on an android device and converted it for the blackberry playbook. Of course I will not make the .apk or .bar file available online. It was only a test for myself.

The good news is that it actually works. I am able to connect to my dropbox and synchronize all data.
    The Copy to Clipboard works perfectly ...
    The Autologin feature works, but only for the browser that is integrated in the android runtime.
    So far so good. (wasntme)

The blackberry keyboard works a little weird with special characters. I guess, that's something that would need to be adjusted in the application before publishing it for Blackberry.

I miss a dropbox sync now button. (sun) The work around is to delete the data in the corresponding folder. The application then starts up with the screen asking for SD card or dropbox.

The benefit over the 1password anywhere solution is, that you don't have to start a browser, the copy to clipboard is more convenient and the autologin feature works in the android browser.

I still think that a native blackberry app would be a better solution, because it could be integrated with the native webWorks Browser. As an interim solution, I think you guys could support the Playbook community by porting 1Password reader and publishing it in Blackberry app world with a small modification to support the legacy keyboard of the playbook.

It was only a small 5 minute test, so I don't know if there are any issues with the application that I missed, but so far it did not crash.

I don't know if this is helpful for your developers...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you! I will mention this to the team.
  • EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Hello, I'd like to add a slightly different vote: Blackberry 10 support for 1Password. This will cover the PlayBook and any future variants, and more importantly the brand new line-up of phones that RIM will be releasing in Q1 of next year. BlackBerry 10 is destined to become the fourth major mobile ecosystem, so it's more a matter of "when," not "if" 1Password will support it, but please count this as a vote for support early next year.

(As an aside: I realize that Agile doesn't like to pre-announce plans, but as I'm currently comparing 1Password with a major competitor for Mac & Android, an indication of interest in support for BlackBerry 10 next year would be nice to hear.)

As an interim solution, "official" support for the Android 1Password app on BlackBerry App World would be a nice stop-gap measure. Thanks for listening!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    Welcome to the forums, EnerJi! We really appreciate your feedback. As you seem to already know, we don't discuss future products or features, so I'm unable to provide any information apart from assuring you that I have passed your request along to the developers.

I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible today. If that's not 1Password for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have passed your vote for this along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well.
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    I'm curious as to why 1Password for Android is limited to the Google Play store. This effectively locks out Blackberry Playbook and Kindle Fire users, who would otherwise be able to run the product.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1Password has not been thoroughly tested on those other devices. I'll certainly mention this to the developers, though. Maybe we can have time to test with the upcoming new Android app. Thank you for mentioning this. :)
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    As mentioned by somebody else, the .apk file works fine w/ the Playbook and I assume it would work fine w/ a Kindle. Perhaps you guys should start making the (free) 1Password 3 .apk available from your website?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'll pass your request along. Thank you very much!
  • Hi,
    Count me as another person who would like to see a PlayBook/BB10 app for 1Password.
    [Although, I should add that my recent experience with 1password anywhere was really frustrating -- didnt work on the latest firefox, but after lots of searching found the issue with dropbox and filenames].

Anyway, I hope Dave et al. have been given a PlayBook or BB10 Dev device for testing. They will be pleasantly surprised. As you may know (?) the old java-based BB phones came with a password keeper. When I moved to an iPhone, it was one of many things I missed. Fortunately 1Password fit the bill. BB10 is a great potential growth opportunity for 1Password and everyone knows BB users are used to paying more for premium (heck, any) apps ;-). Putting the Android conversion as a stop-gap for PlayBook owners until 1Password has time to evaluate developing a BB10 app would give any native password app that RIM has in mind, a run for its money (so to speak). I'll be honest, if the 1Password android app is buggy or a pain to use in BB10, I wont use it. I'll probably switch completely to LassPass or something like it (begrudgingly).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We really appreciate your longtime support, slacker. I have passed your feedback along to the team. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.