1password application window opening and becoming active app without interaction from me

chadchabot
chadchabot
Community Member

Since upgrading to 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009) today I've had the 1password application open and become the active app seemingly on it's own while mid-sentence typing in Safari, Firefox, and Atom.

I've also found that the Safari browser extension does not sync with the status of the 1Password application on my Mac (I'm logged in with 1P app, but I still need to authenticate with the browser extension every time).

Is there a greedy hot key I'm not aware of and hitting accidentally some how?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
Browser:_ Safari Version 16.1 (17614.2.9.1.13, 17614)

Comments

• Hi @chadchabot,

Sorry to hear 1Password isn't behaving as expected. You can check what keyboard shortcuts are currently set for the app in 1Password's preferences:

And just in case, here's our larger library of keyboard shortcuts: 1Password keyboard shortcuts

Regarding the Safari browser extension, you can set up a shared log in state by turning on integration with the desktop app, the settings for this can be found by right-clicking the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar and selecting "Settings":

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions along the way. 🙂

• chadchabot
    chadchabot
    Community Member

I see no unusual hot key combos in the settings for 1P.

My experience is that:
    1. almost immediately upon navigating to a Safari window (using command+tab) the 1P app window opens up
    2. any time I'm typing in a text box (like the one on this support forum "leave a comment" area) the 1P app window opens and becomes the active application.

I have had to deactivate the 1P Safari extension, else the browser is unusable for more than 30 seconds at a time.

• Thanks for confirming and providing those additional details, @chadchabot!

Could I confirm that it's the 1Password 8 desktop app that's stealing focus? Or were you also experiencing something similar with the 1Password browser extension?

We've had a similar case in the past that was resolved when the user upgraded to macOS 13.0.1 so that's one suggestion, if possible.

Otherwise, or if the issue persists, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac the next time it happens:

If you're experiencing something similar with the browser extension, you can also send a console log:

Attach these to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can link the two conversations. Thanks very much, looking forward to finding a solution with you!

• chadchabot
    chadchabot
    Community Member

That's correct, the 1P desktop app (1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)) ends up as the focused/active macOS app with no interaction from me, even when a text input is not focused in Safari.

I have submitted the diagnostics and the Support ID is #QZL-79878-122

• Thanks, @chadchabot, I can confirm we've received it. I'll take a look and reply via email once we have some more information. 🙂

ref: QZL-79878-122

This discussion has been closed.