v8 Ability to reorder/arrange fields

Comments

• ajmwd
    ajmwd
    Community Member

+1 for me as well. I greatly miss the ability to change record field order in 1Password 7.

• rybkin
    rybkin
    Community Member

Thank you a lot for such a great product!
    And this feature will make it even greater!
    +1

• flybynight27
    flybynight27
    Community Member

Add another +1 to the pile.

8 pages of replies to this? TL;DR… but a lot of people want this, obviously. Ship it so you can close this thread! Thanks!

• Hello folks - thanks so much for your feedback and votes! Still no news to share, but we will be happy to do so this feature is shipped and available!

• ianneub2
    ianneub2
    Community Member

Another +1

• amydelabc
    amydelabc
    Community Member

Unsure if these votes/this discussion is solely for desktop but +1 for Android especially (and Windows desktop secondarily)!

• tspradlin
    tspradlin
    Community Member

Please add me to the list. This feature has been greatly missed.

• GDIAZJ
    GDIAZJ
    Community Member

+1. Please, help us, this feature is very important.

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member

I don't think we'll get this feature back under the tree for Xmas :/

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

@FredericC it will be there. You can quote me on this one. Christmas 2023.

Jokes aside. 1Passwords still runs circles around most of the other solutions that are out there. Checked out Dashline recently and it literally felt like stone-age using it. It just shows how much v7 was in front of competition 1,5 years ago… so much so that v7 is just better then others even today.

v8 will be awesome when it gets to full feature parity with v7 (other than standalone vaults) and available at all platforms, including Linux.

Let’s hold on a bit longer for this and some other features that are missed much by all the community.

Enjoy v7 on your Mac meanwhile.

• bytework
    bytework
    Community Member

+1 for me as well. This discussion has been "active" for over 17 months now and it was suggested early on that this feature would be added back in SOON. This is a sorely missed feature and after this long implementation should be at the top of the list IMHO. I haven't found a single other feature request that has this much request feedback. As a 1P user from v1 I'm wondering what happened to the "old" Agilebits that was so end-user responsive?

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

I'm sad also about this big feature missing

• gladfrauseverely
    gladfrauseverely
    Community Member

A year and a half later and still no progress/update. Didn't think this was a hard one. Must be something super prohibative on the back end preventing this. Inspires trust and confidence in the care being taken to make sure reordering things doesn't jeopordize the whole product. Thanks for being super thorough and wicked slow - precisely where I want to see my several hundred dollars in annual fees over the last few years go.

• Stellarspace
    Stellarspace
    Community Member

What are the developers doing? I have so many items to fix because there is no way to move a field and/or section in an item.

• What are the developers doing?

You can see the changes that we've released here:

https://releases.1password.com/

Reordering of fields is coming.

Ben

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

@Ivan_K V8 is much, much better than V7 in terms of features, design und usbility – on both Mac and Android (in my case). BUT the most important feature to boost the User experience is not implemented for any reasons. 1password is always focussing on their business first, and then it's their users. There are important features for both terms (1p for SSH / CLI for example), but with User Experience, you can't earn money, "just" happy users.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @dmacx, thanks for this response.

Just want to say that we do recognize the user experience is crucial - regardless of platform, or whether you're at home or work. We've done our best to keep both the new features and improvements coming over the last year, but there is also a lot more to come.

We're excited about 2023 holds, and we're looking forward to shipping this (as planned) and many other quality + usability improvements in the near future. Stay tuned!

• mrjarnould
    mrjarnould
    Community Member

+1 from me as well.
    Reply with a ++1 to vote for me to learn how to code a bot that will comment every day on how long it has been since this feature has been requested and how many people have voted for it. I bet I could do it before 1P V8 releases the feature to reorder fields.
    Note: I won't do it because it'll likely get me banned – community guidelines.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

@mrjarnould ++1, just for the humor value.

Seriously, yes, we've all been waiting a VERY long time for this. I do hope that the AB/1P folks step up and make this their number one priority (after any security issues)...

• chris13524
    chris13524
    Community Member

+1 (no button to subscribe without posting comment)

Would be good to have this feature so that I can make an entry for "Old master passwords" and I want to be able to add new "old" passwords to the top of the list

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

We've been assured that this feature (which is a CLIENT-LOCAL-ONLY change, as @esquared demonstrated, up-thread!) is coming soon.

I'm concerned that it's taking so long.

And I'm VERY concerned about what this reveals about the AgileBits development process:

1. Product design is uninformed by user forums or use-case analysis.
      (If so, you'd know about the users who rely on that ability, because we have many fields, or many URLs, in a login item.)
      (For example: perhaps we use 1Password as a site-specific bookmark tool. After YEARS of success with this approach, we now are punished for doing so whenever a site changes its login URL, and we must delete and a dozen URLs to bring the new one to the top.)

1. Product design is "waterfall" style, such that design errors cannot easily be reversed based on early-user feedback.
        (Otherwise, you'd have been able to respond to the outrage.)

2. Product design is untested by even rudimentary usability testing.
        (Otherwise, you'd have watched users be confused, and then frustrated, by the ill-advised required to press "Ctrl+ENTER" to see the search results that the rest of the world expects, and considers default.)

3. Following from the above, there's little interest in accessibility testing.
        (Or you'd never have gone out the door with a UI that has no window borders at all, so that a user must struggle to click into the correct application, or is likely to close the wrong window.)

4. AgileBits is unaware of, or considers irrelevant, decades of design conventions that are expected by Windows users, and recommended by Microsoft.
        (A few examples:
        https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/appuistart/following-guidelines
        https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/uxguide/designprinciples
        https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/uxguide/win-window-frames )

5. Consistent with the brash self-confidence inherent in all of the above, 1Password is developed without any of the user-accessible parameters or settings that would allow us to avoid the impact of these idiosyncratic design decisions.
        (I'd love to have a Settings toggle to swap the behavior, in Search, of Enter vs. Ctrl-Enter. Or a way to add a windows border. And many more.)

You get the idea, I hope.

• Hey folks 🙂 Thanks for all the feedback and messages here. We've been working on adding the ability to reorder for a little bit now and while we still need to do some final code review before it becomes available for testing, I think I can share a preview here. Enjoy!

https://share.1password.com/s#mFY9mp2EGvCC5t2OI9Tx4U736EoIxyNFk07HXTRvuSA

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@MrRooni

Outstanding!

Question - I assume this affects the orders of the sections and fields arrays order in the 1PUX, and a 1PUX import will honor that ordering?

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

@MrRooni thank you for this awesome preview. Great to see that ability of reordering sections will be a thing too.

Now that is a good reason to upgrade from v7 to v8 in my book👍

Will be doing exactly that and complete the shift from iCloud vault when the release drops.

• MrRooni
    edited January 2023

@Ivan_K You're welcome, glad to hear it!

@MrC Great question, let me tag in Andrew German on that one.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Great news, @MrRooni !

I'm looking forward to that feature. 👍

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member

@MrRooni Thank you for the preview. Section ordering is a nice touch. It would be nice if Domains also get the re order too, but it's an easier case to manage without ordering.
    Can't wait to see that in action!

• @MrC This work changes the order of the fields in the encrypted item, so it will be changed in any data exported after modifying the item.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Great to see this coming along!

This discussion has been closed.